BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 32 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 385 to 401 High Street, Old Brentford
This section is approaching the eastern end of the High Street, on the northern side. Behind lay a brewery owned by David Allen 1851 - 1866 (F), marked on the 1865 OS map. In the 1894 OS Map the Cambridge Foundry had replaced the brewery. The Salutation Inn marks the end of this section: the St George's almshouses on the opposite side of the High Street were also known as the Salutation almshouses.
Numbers 391 - 393 are not recorded in the 1891 & 1901 census.
Number 385This property is on the eastern corner of the passage leading to Back Lane and in 1840 was one of three houses, yards and land owned by Louisa Dancer. It was occupied by John Burford, who is recorded here in the 1841 census as a pawnbroker, aged 50. There is an earlier reference to John Burford, pawnbroker, Old Brentford in Pigot's 1823-1824 directory, but as yet it has not been established whether he operated from no. 385 then. By 1861 he had moved to the corner of North Road, number 364.
In 1851 and 1861 John Vaughan, master butcher lived here, followed by Thomas Nuthall, butcher (1871, 1881) and Mrs Ann Nuthall, butcher (1890, 1891, 1901). This Nuthall family may have been related to the Nuthalls who lived at around number 338 and were bakers.
Access to Archives web site includes several references to documents held at London Metropolitan Archives for no. 385 in the period 1872 - 1912.
The 1909/10 Valuation groups no. 385 and two cottages to the rear known as Hales Cottages and Yard. The owner was Mrs E Dancer, presumably a descendant of the Louisa Dancer who owned the property in 1840 - however her name is crossed out, the copyhold was sold 20 February 1913 for £1200. There is a note from 1918 saying the property was now closed up but being redecorated. The cottages were semi-detached, each had 4 rooms and they were 'old and dilapidated and closed up'.
In 1913 James Attfield, smith & farrier, is recorded here. See more details about James Attfield.
Numbers 386 - 388
In the tithe map dated 1839 an area of open land is shown next to number 385 with a frontage of about 40' to the High Street. When the 1865 OS Map was drawn up, 3 houses had been built on this ground, plus a smaller fourth property: this may not have been living accommodation. The three houses were to become numbers 386 - 388, also named 3, 2 and 1 Aspin Cottages.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 386 as a terrace house with a room extending over an archway at the side. Owner as for no. 385.
Numbers 387 and 388 were terraced houses with small gardens owned by Mrs K S Saunders of 77 Argyle Road, West Ealing. 388 was 'next but two to gas works' in 1909/10. Mrs K S Saunders was a Sanders before marriage: see family tree for more details.
The 1911 census shows Wilfred Chappel and his wife Josephine, plus four sons and three daughters, living at no. 388. Wilfred was a crane driver working for contractors and lightermen, age 42, born Sherborne Dorest, his wife was 36 or 38, born New Jersey, USA. Their children were all Brentford-born: Stella (12), Harry (9), Wilfred (8), Frank (6), Stanley (4), Lily (2) and Agnes (7 months); the couple had been married 13 years and all seven of their children survived. They shared the property with widow Mary Daubney, 24 born Notting Hill, and her daughter Grace, age 2 born Brentford. The property had 7 rooms.
Numbers 389 & 390
James Bond lived in one of the three houses, yards and land owned by Louisa Dancer in 1840 and a James Bond, baker, is recorded in the 1839 Pigot Directory, also in the 1841 census where he was '40' and headed a household of 7 including a female servant. By 1851 James Bond junior, also a master baker, lived next door to his father James Bond senior.
In 1861 James Bond junior has disappeared. There is a death registration in Brentford of a James Bond in the April - June quarter of 1854. No ages are recorded in the death indexes until 1866 so without looking at other sources it is not possible to conclude this is him. His father continued the bakery business, aged 63, employing two men who lived in: David Craig from Scotland and James Knap from Northolt, Middlesex. His son Charles, aged 21, lived at home.
James senior was still running the bakery business in 1871; next door his son Charles had married Maria Bell and was a soda water maker. The 1874 directory lists three Bonds: James Bond, baker; Charles Bond, ginger beer maker; Mrs Mary Bond, fruiterer. James Bond senior died in 1874. His wife Mary took over the running of the bakery and in 1881 was still there, aged 74. Charles was a dry fruiter at no. 389.
By 1890 the Bonds were no longer living on the High Street. Number 389 was a confectioners, run by Edwin Carter from Kilburn in 1890, 1891 and 1901. Number 390 remained a bakery, run by M. G. Simmonds in 1888, Alfred Jeffereys Phipps in 1890, 1891, then Mrs Jessie Simmon in 1901. In the 1901 census a Mrs Jane Taylor, mission worker, shared the house. An 1899 / 1900 trade directory shows a Post Office was run from no. 390.
In 1909/10 Messrs Dorey Bros Ltd, Brentford owned both properties: brick built houses of 3 storeys. They were very old and dilapidated and 390 had a large yard at the rear with archway under the front of 386. (Perhaps this should read 389?).
Neither property is included in the 1913 or later trade directories.
Numbers 391 - 393
Numbers 391 - 393 were noted in the 1840 tithe enumeration as one of three houses and yards owned by Miss Neale. The three properties can be picked out in the 1865 OS map but by the time of the 1894 OS map numbers 391 - 393 had become part of the Cambridge Foundry.
There is no reference to no. 391 - 393 in the 1891 or 1901 censuses.
The 1839 Pigot Directory includes Emma Goldsbrough, shopkeeper and the 1840 tithe enumeration lists her as the occupier of a 'house & yard' owned by Miss Jeffreys.
As the tithe map shows exactly where Emma lived it is possible to confirm the property survived in 1865 and 1894. As far as I can tell the property she lived in was to become no. 394.
In 1841 she is recorded as a grocer, aged 40. She remained living and working here in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses, dying in 1874 aged 74. The censuses show she was a widow; presumably her husband died before 1839. She died before the High Street was numbered in 1876.
'Brentford As It Was' (C) includes a photo showing a raised weatherboarded cottage of the C17. (C64). A photo of the same property dated 1900 shows it was a barber's shop; it was demolished in 1903 (Fred Turner's 'History & Antiquities of Brentford').
(C) identifies this building as no. 394 and notes it was next door to a PO (making the PO no. 393) and dining rooms (395). There was a Post Office nearby but it was run from no. 390 in 1899 / 1900, not 393. I think numbers 391 to 393 were industrial premises so the PO was 'next door' in the sense that it was the next 'shop'?
Attempts to locate a barber in numbers 394 in the censuses and trade directories have been unsuccessful: no. 394 was occupied by a labourer, William Ingram, in 1881 and 1891. A hairdresser lived at no. 395 in 1881 and 1891 but not in 1901. Perhaps he worked next door. There were dining rooms at no. 395. In the 1901 census no. 394 is recorded as uninhabited.
A photo from 1900 (C64) shows a 2-storey house with attic and a single storey dining room adjoining with the entry to a yard. In the 1909/10 Valuation the frontage to the High Street was 36' 7".
The tithe map shows the 2-storey property only, with ground to the side and behind. It is described as 'house, premises and garden' owned and occupied by Henry Ezard (1938/41).
The 1865 OS Map shows the addition of the single storey building.
Henry Ezard, carpenter is recorded in the 1839 directory and 1841 census. John Allen, retired brewer (1851) and David Allen, brewer aged 35 (1861), which fits with a reference to 'David Allen's Brewery', which operated from 1851 - 1866 (F).
Thomas Tree, beer seller, is recorded next to David Allen in the 1861 census and it may be that the single storey extension was recorded as a separate building in this census, although when the High Street was numbered it was treated as part of no. 395.
In 1881 no. 395 was occupied by George Terry, eating house keeper, from Dover. The property was shared with two other families. An 1890 directory records Pickford & Co., carriers at this address; in the 1891 census three families lived here (all different to the 1881 families).Kelly's 1894 trade directory has an entry:
This property is not included in the 1913 or later trade directories.
No. 396 can be picked out on the tithe map (ca 1840), a semi-detached property set back from the High Street with a front garden. It was described then as a 'house and garden' owned and occupied by Ann Meridew, and she is recorded here in the 1841 census as 'independent'. In 1851 Charles Clement, clerk to a silver merchant and Benjamin Gosling?, superannuated excise officer and their small families shared no. 396.
In 1881 and 1891 George Chin(n), engine smith from Cornwall lived here.
An 1899/1900 directory records William Cloves at no. 396 and William J Cloves, barge builder born Rainham, Essex, lived here in 1901 with his wife Sarah Ann (nee Kirsch, born Bermondsey), 4 sons and 4 daughters ranging in age from 2 to 20. One son Harry, aged 16, was a 'cricket ball maker'. The children's birthplaces suggested the family moved several times in the preceding 20 years, living in Rotherhithe, Battersea and Deptford before settling in Brentford in the mid to late 1890s. Mark Abbott has forwarded photos of William and his wife.
William Jenkin Cloves remained at no. 396 in 1913, but many properties in the surrounding area are no longer recorded and by 1928 the Gas Light & Coke Company stores occupied this area. Sarah Champion, great granddaughter of William J Cloves, says the Cloves family moved to Cressage Road, Brentford.
At the time of the 1909/10 Valuation the property was described as a 'House and premises, frontage of 12' 4"; owner: Mrs E Z Ashby, 'Lyndhurst', King Charles Road, Surbiton Hill; Term: weekly rent, £23 8s / annum; Semi-detached house adjoining Gas Company. Old property with tiled roof.
Number 395 was demolished by 1919; 397 was still standing but 398 and 399 had been demolished.
Access to Archives includes reference to an 'Abstract of title of Mrs Ellen Zilpah Ashby to freehold premises at 396 High Street, 1881 - 1918'. See ref. to EZA in the Sanders family notes.
Like no. 396, set back from the road. At the time of the tithe apportionment this 'house and garden' was owned by Joseph Sexton (the draper who lived in New Brentford?) and occupied by James Brown.
In the 1841 census James Brown, draper, shared the property with several other households. He remained here in 1851 (master draper employing 6 men): 14 people lived here at the time.
In 1861 and 1871 John McNae, draper lived and worked here. By 1890 this was the address of Charles James Shore & Co, coal merchant who is recorded here in the 1891 census, then Margaret J Shore (his widow?) in 1901 and a 1913 trade directory.
Access to Archives includes reference to a 1903 document recording the building of a brick wall to the rear of no. 397 by James Bovingdon of 325 High Street, Margaret Jane Shore receiving £2.
The Valuation Return describes the property as a double-fronted house with tiled roof, 'old property'. It had a High Street frontage of 32' 7" and was owned by Mrs F M Richardson of Holmfield, East Bridgeford, Nottinghamshire. '1 or 2 rooms are damp'.
Henry Earl ran a grocers shop and Post Office here in 1890 and 1891. The PO is shown at this address in the 1894 OS map, but by the time an 1899 / 1900 trade directory was compiled it had moved to no. 390.
No. 398 had been demolished by the time of the 1909/10 Valuation and was used as an advertising station, frontage 32' 7". The owner was 'the executors of J Bovingdon deceased'.Top
In 1841 Lucy Ashley, tobacconist lived here, and other tobacconists are recorded in later censuses: Thomas J Stocker (1851), George Scriven engineer & tobacconist (1861), Henry Dorey stonemason (1871), Abraham Hibbard newsagent & tobacconist (1881) - possibly a recording error as he is 'Absolom' Hibbard in an 1890 trade directory & the 1891 census. Finally in 1901 Mrs Rosanna Hibbard was running a newsagents at no. 399.
No. 399 had been demolished by the time of the 1909/10 Valuation and was a 'vacant site and advertising hoarding', owner as no. 398. Frontage: 13'.
George Robinson owned four properties on the High Street, including numbers 399 and 400, at the time of the tithe enumeration for Ealing in 1840. This was one of 'two houses, premises and garden' and was next door to the Salutation Inn. It was occupied by John Dear according to the tithe, but Charles Dear, upholsterer, lived here when the 1841 census was taken. George Dear, possibly his son, an upholsterer and undertaker, lived here in 1851.
It was then used by a succession of butchers: Henry Etherington (1861); William Taylor (1871) who was the landlord of the Bull in 1861; John Mountstephen (1881); Henry Lockyer from Stoke St Gregory, Somerset in 1889, 1890, 1891 and his widow Fanny Avice Tazewell Lockyer in 1901.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes the shop, house and premises, with a frontage of 16', occupied by Mrs Lockyer and owned by James Mortlock. There was a James Mortlock, also a butcher, at no. 225 in 1881/1891. 'The premises form one of a terrace and are brick built and tiled. They are old and require repair. They contain:
Lockyer & Son, butchers, are recorded in trade directories at this address up to 1933. Number 400 is not listed in the 1940 trade directory. Maurice Lockyer has written about the Lockyer family and their business.
Salutation Inn (401)
The Saluation Inn dates back to at least 1751 (Court Roll : The 'Salutation', Old Brentford, in which John Jones lately dwelt, and 2 little houses adjoining on the west) (I). Later documents chart its lease, including Abstract of the title of John Newton to six eighth parts of the 'Salutation', Old Brentford - ref. ACC/0891/02/01/0056 - date: 1743-1827 (I).
The Ealing tithe map from 1839 indicates the position of the Saluation, opposite the almshouses which became known as the Salutation Almshouses, at no. 6. The accompanying tithe apportionment describes it as a house, yard and stabling owned by Francis Wheat Newton, occupied by William McNae. Pigots directory for 1839 records William Crosby McNae at the Salutation, and in the 1841 census he headed a household of 7 including a male and a female servant.
In 1851 William McNae headed a household of 10, including 3 lodgers; in 1861, aged 52, he is recorded as a publican & market gardener of 20 acres employing 3 men and 3 women. He was born in Dumfries, Scotland. A few doors to the east at no. 405 lived John McNae, aged 43 and his family, he was a draper and also born in Scotland, perhaps his brother.
By 1871 Thomas Edwards was running the Salutation, in 1874 / 1881 John James Turner, in 1890 / 1891 locally born Henry Hall Humphries then Emma Humphries, 1901 and 1913.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes the Salutation as having a frontage of 42', owner Fuller Smith & Turner, Brewers, Chiswick and occupier: Emma Humphries. It was sold on 19 December 1896 with other properties. It was a public house built on 2 floors (with dormer), stucco fronted, roof part pantiled and tiles in very poor condition. Stabling at rear with cottage adjoining, brick built with pantiled roofs.
In 1911 Emma Humphries, widow, 57, was the innkeeper, helped by three of her unmarried children: Eleanor Hall 30, Lydia E 24 and Harry Valentine 22; daughter Dorothy May, 17, was a dressmaker working for someone else. All were born in Middlesex. The inn had one boarder, John Turner, age 82, widower, a retired baker born in Twickenham. The census includes a piece of crossed-out information that may be useful: Emma had been married 37 years and had nine children born alive, eight were still living.
No. 401 closed as an inn ca 1920 (A23). The 1928, 1933 and 1940 trade directories record Mrs A. Mattuicci, confectioner at numbers 401 and 402. In 1996 the site was a petrol station (A23) & (Y90).
Links are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link in the navigation area to the left.
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
383 onwards in 1900 and 2006 (S18)
385 1900 (C63)
394 1900 (C64)
395 Dining room 1900 (C64)
399 1892 (C Cover); ca 1900 (A23)
400 advert H Lockyer, 1889 St George's Parish Magazine (L); 1892 (C Cover); ca 1900 (A23); 1945/6 photo(H)
401 Salutation Inn, HH Humphries, 1892 (C Cover) & (Y90); ca 1900 (A23); 1945/6 photo(H)
1839/41 Tithe Map modern numbers 385 - 401 have tithe property refs 183 - 173
1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Hales Cottages and Fox and Hounds Yard, which led up to Back Lane, between numbers 384 and 385
Published 2005; last updated August 2022