BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 33 -> Previous Section
From 402 to 411 High Street, Old BrentfordThis section covers the north eastern end of the High Street, running up to Kew Bridge Road and has the waterworks behind it. The 1865 OS map suggests the High Street used to run right up to Kew Bridge, but by the time the High Street was numbered, in 1876, Kew Bridge Road was established as the eastern section of the road.
The lack of a clear start and end point to the High Street in the 1841 - 1861 censuses makes this section more difficult to pin down.
The 1839 tithe map shows the land behind this section was owned by the Grand Junction Waterworks Co. but not all used as part of the waterworks - one plot is described as a 'market garden' run by Malcolm James. By 1894 this section back on to a filtering bed.
Francesco Mattuicci from Naples, Italy, lived here in 1901 and ran a confectionery business from this property, although in the census his occupation was 'street musician'. At the time of the 1909/10 Valuation no. 402 was owned by a G P James of 18 Victoria Square, Penarth and D H Thomas of 5 Quay Street, Carmarthen. It had a High Street frontage of 21' 7" and an archway 12' wide, with rooms over the archway. There is a small plan showing access to Lamb Passage from the rear of no. 402.
The 1911 census provides more details of the Mattiucci family; they seem to have brought a little piece of Italy with them:
Franceso used '=' in completing the census form and it is not clear whether this meant ditto or blank. The '=' are reproduced above. Franceso and Assunta had been married 25 years in 1911 and of their five children three were still living. All of the occupants were born in Italy with the exception of the youngest visitor, Albert, who was born in Chelsea, Middlesex.
Number 402 was initially recorded by Francesco as having seven rooms, but this was crossed out, possibly by the enumerator, and changed to five.
Judy Dunkley supplied details of the rest of the Mattiucci family. They occupied two rooms at no. 402, perhaps rooms over the archway:
Judy also sent details of Antonio and his family from the 1921 census, by which time they had moved to Acton:
In 1891 Ernest Thurley, 'cats meat', lived here. He was succeeded in 1901 by Edward Young, cat meat vendor who is recorded as a cats' meat vendor in 1913, then as a 'licensed horse slaughterer' in 1928, 1933 & 1940. John Young and Laura J Young lived here in 1952 (electoral register), perhaps they were descendants of Edward.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 403 as a terrace house and shop of 3 storeys owned and occupied by E Young, sold to him (no date given) for £250 (in bad repair). There were two rooms on the top and first floors. The ground floor had a private entrance, front room used as a shop. There was a yard, WC, kitchen and washhouse to the rear and a coachhouse with loft over (old). At the back was a right of way to Lamb Passage.
Numbers 404 & 405
A drapers shop operated from no. 405 from 1839 (or earlier) until 1913 (or later). William McNae (possibly the same man as who ran The Salutation at no. 401) owned three 'houses, yards & premises' on the High Street, one of which was occupied in 1840 by David McNae. The 1839 Pigot's directory includes a reference to a David McNea, draper, presumably the same man. In the 1841 census he headed a household of 4, including a female servant, and was aged 40.
The Three Counties directory from 1845 records 'John & David McNae, drapers, Old Brentford'. In the 1851 census David is a 'proprietor of houses' living next door to John McNae, draper, aged 33 who headed a household of 11 including a nurse, two female servants and a nephew, William McNae aged 19, born Scotland (as were John and David).
By 1861 David McNae, aged 29, is running the drapery business. He is not recorded as the son of the other Brentford McNae's in 1851 and it is tempting to assume that he is the same person as the William McNae aged 19. David's nephew Alexander McNae, aged 24, is living with him and working as a draper's assistant. Alexander was at William Quick's school, Church House, Ealing Lane in 1851.
In 1871 a Miss Janet McNae, aged 36 and born in Scotland, headed the household; living with her were a widowed 'sister' Jane McNae, three nephews and a niece, plus a visitor and female servant. Although she is not recorded as a draper, the business presumably continued as a John McNae, draper, is recorded in the 1874 trade directory, and in 1881 George Sadler, draper, lived at no. 405.
By 1889 James John Blindell, linen draper born Cheshunt ran the business and he appears in the 1891 and 1901 censuses, then in a trade directory for 1913.
In the 1909/10 Valuation numbers 404 and 405 were evaluated together, both being owned by J J Blindell, who was also in occupation. The properties had been sold on 11 October 1889 for £600 and about £200 spent on alterations and improvements. There is a note that both properties had a (drapers) shop on the ground floor and 'the shops are used as one'.
By 1928 the premises were being used in conjunction with no. 404 by F. J. Edwards, motor car accessories. In 1933 no. 405 is not listed, but 404 was the 'Premier Boot & Shoe Repair Service'. Neither 404 nor 405 are recorded in the 1940 directory.
Returning to Jane McNae, the widow living with her sister in 1871, in 1881 she had moved to no. 402 and was living on rents (perhaps referring to the three properties owned in the 1840 tithe enumeration); three children lived with her, though none had gone into the drapery business, and an Alexander McNae, unmarried cousin, aged 45, completed the household: he was also 'living on rents'.
Numbers 406 and 407 were a pair of properties set back slightly from the High Street. See no. 407 for details from 1839.
Tricky to pin down who lived here prior to the numbering of the High Street, but I suspect in 1861 it was Anne Pink, a needlewoman, who had an unmarried daughter Eliza aged 28, also a needlewoman, living with her in 1861: both were born in Isleworth. 10 years previously Eliza was a house servant for James Blackery at no. 97. In 1871 and 1881 Mrs Ann Heather, laundress, then mangler lived here. Benjamin Grant, fishmonger lived here in 1901.
No. 406 was sold in August 1903 for £177 10s. The Valuation describes it as a brick built terrace house on 2 floors with tiled roof old and dilapidated and about to be demolished (May 1912). Both 406 and 407 were owned by C Crouch and 406 was described as having a frontage of 15' 6" and depth of 57' 6". There is a later note added rebuilt.
More recent occupants include Thomas Samuel Rigsby, tailor (1913), Benjamin Millard (1928 and 1933) and Lewis Holderness (1940). The latter may be related to a Jack Holderness, remembered by Len Cox? The 1952 electoral register shows a John L Holderness lived at this address, this could be Jack. Other family members were Lewis Holderness, Joseph E Holderness and Violet M Holderness.
The tithe map from 1839 shows two properties set a little back from the High Street (plot no. 170) owned by William Barton and described as 'two houses and yards'. The tithe enumeration accompanying the map notes the two properties were occupied by Thomas Bacon and John Wheatley (but it does not say who lived in which of the two properties). I believe these properties were later numbered 406 and 407.
In the 1841 census there is no sign of Thomas Bacon, but a John Wheatley is recorded in the property next to Joseph Welsh/Walsh/Welch, who is recorded in the tithe enumeration and map in the next plot to the east. So I am pretty confident John Wheatley lived at no. 407 in 1841: he was a basket maker born in Middlesex and had a wife Lucy and two young children. By 1851 he had moved to Spring Grove Cottage, London Road, Heston.
In 1851 Thomas Stimpson, labourer at the gas works and born in Boughton, Norfolk lived here. He had a wife and two daughters. Another labourer at the gas works, Richard Mansfield, lodged with the family.
In 1861 and 1871 the property appears to have been empty. A George Wheatley, blacksmith, lived nearby, aged 33 and born in Brentford. It is tempting to try and link him to John Wheatley, but George appears to have lived on the other side of the Lamb (409), possibly in a cottage off the High Street.
In 1881 Charles James Hutchinson, a car man lived here, heading a household of 11 including his wife, Ann Maria, and her mother and two sisters (although this was incorrectly entered on the census form as his mother and sisters).
In 1891 James Beagley occupied the 4 rooms of no. 407. He was a bricklayer and his wife Eliza, her sister Harriet (both 'ironers' born Turnham Green) and three young children competed the household.
By 1901 Samuel Martin, a 60 year old labourer had moved here with his wife, son and two boarders, Eliza and Emily Mumford, aged 43 and 18; everyone was born in Brentford.
The 1909/10 Valuation took place in May 1912 and recorded that no. 407 was similar to but 'not quite so deep' as no. 406. The 1913 trade directory records George Thomas Hamlin here. In 1928, 1933 and 1940 Thomas E Parker: presumably in the rebuilt property.
The tithe map for this area shows a jumble of properties between numbers 406 & 407 (which can be distinguished as they are set back from the High Street) and Lamb Passage, which ran between numbers 409 & 410. See notes for no. 409, which include confirmation that no. 409 was originally two properties.
By 1865 there were two properties in this area, which became numbers 408 & 409.
The 1909/10 Valuation notes no. 408 was 'built about 20 years ago', whereas numbers 406, 407 and 409 were 'old' or 'very old'. As no. 408 had a frontage of just 15' it seems unlikely it was ever more than one property, and the census entries support this.
The tithe shows a Joseph Walsh or Welsh as owner and occupier of a house and yard next to (what was to become) no. 407 and in the 1841 census Joseph Welch, presumably the same man, lived in this part of the High Street, he was '65' and living with him was Mary, '60', neither born Middlesex, he was 'Independent'. Joseph Welsh was buried at St George, Old Brentford in October 1841, age 66.
In 1851 Mary Welch, age 70, born Uxbridge, lived here, an Annuitant. This could be Joseph's widow, although her birthplace was recorded as 'not Middlesex' in 1841.
In 1861 Edmund Welsh appears to have lived next door at 409. I think he was living in Chiswick in 1851 - so he may be unrelated to Joseph and Mary, although his age means he could be a son and his proximity suggests he may have inherited the property from his mother.
Alternatively, William Wild, a shoemaker, moved into this area from Chiswick between the two censuses, and he may have lived at no. 408.
From 1871 the property was used by greengrocers: William Collins in 1871, John Hall in 1878, 1881 and 1882, Henry Kennerson in 1890, 1891 (by 1891 HK was a 'gardener').
In 1901 newly married John McDonald, age 21, a saddler born in Gibraltar, lived at no. 408 with his wife Lillian (18) and John A, age 1. They had moved here recently as baby John was born in Wandsworth.
In 1907 a trade directory records a Mrs Ethel Durber living at no. 408.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 408 as a terrace house and shop with 2 rooms and a slip room on the top floor and a shop and further room on the ground floor, plus a kitchen, WC and small yard at the rear. The house was built about 20 years ago, modern drains had been put in recently. The owner was William J Noy of Clayponds Lane, Brentford and the term of the lease was 7 years from 25 March 1910, annual rent £40.
By 1911 no. 408 was being used as a coffee shop, run by William Coltart from Glasgow and his wife Elsie from Brighton. They had been married 14 years by the time of the census, which also shows the property had 4 rooms.
Walter Coltart remained at no. 408 until at least 1933. Trade directories from 1911 - 1933 describe no. 408 as 'dining rooms'.
In 1937 & 1940 Victor George Brown ran the dining rooms.
The Lamb beerhouse (409)
The property is shown in the tithe map with a passageway to its east, 1840. Vic Rosewarne has researched the history of the Lamb from its opening, around 1854, to closure in 1908. A few notes follow covering later years.
LMA hold a lease for the Lamb 'for 21 years from 25 December 1874, ref. ACC/1214/1442' and describe it as a messuage (formerly two messuages) with yard and appurtenances situate in the High Street, Old Brentford, now used as retail beerhouse called the 'Lamb''. (I)
By 1901 the lease had expired.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 409 as a double-fronted cottage with Lamb Passage on the flank ... this is very old cottage property with modern drains recently put in. No occupier or owner is named but there is a note about a form 75A being sent to a Mrs Wren of 53 Church Street Isleworth 11 December 1914, also a scrawl reading 'beer ... licence'. The 1913 trade directory shows a Francis Braley, wardrobe dealer, at this address. The 1928 and later directories to 1940 suggest this was a private house, no trade being mentioned for the occupants.
In 1939 six people lived at no. 409:
There is a marriage of Alfred G Burvill to Abigail Shard at Bradford, West Yorkshire, Jul-Sep 1919: although around 180 miles away this could be the same couple.
This property lies on the eastern side of Lamb Passage and was owned by George Robinson, who also owned no. 411, when the tithe enumeration was prepared. William Marriner, brickmaker, lived here in 1841.
In earlier censuses there are references to Pomona Cottages / Court in this area and for the censuses prior to the numbering of the High Street it is not easy to work out who lived where.
By 1881 Richard Weedon, greengrocer lived here, having moved from across the road (near Swan Steps) as his 1871 address was demolished during the expansion of the Gas Works. In 1881 he shared no. 410 with two other small households headed by Henry Prior and George Hutton.
William Thomas Broadfoot, confectioner is recorded at no. 410 in an 1890 trade directory and in 1891 he appears in the census, but as a gas fitter.
Arthur Smith, a general shopkeeper lived here in 1901, he was London born.
The 1909/10 Valuation shows the property was owned by Mrs M C Ward, 12 Melrose Road, Southfields, London SW who also owned no. 411. The property had a High Street frontage of 16' 10" and there was a note the shop extends beyond the main building line. It had 2 rooms on the 2nd and 1st floors and on the ground floor a shop, parlour, washhouse, WC and small yard at the rear. It was old property and faced in cement. A freeholder was named: Mrs S N M Jones of 40 Claverton Street, Pimlico SW: her leasehold was for 79 years and she also was the leaseholder of no. 411, for 90 years from 25/12/1903.
Following Percy T Stunt, confectioner, recorded here in 1913, in 1928, 1933 & 1940 Toler Bros, wholesale newsagents traded from here.
Number 411: the last property on the High Street before Kew Bridge Road
Owned by George Robinson when the tithe enumeration took place. The occupiers of (what were to become) numbers 410 and 411 were James 'Mitchell' and William Marriner. The 1841 census shows William Marriner, brickmaker, at 410 and James Machell, butcher, at 411.
In 1861 William Smith, corn chandler, lived here and he remained at this address in 1871 through to 1891. In 1901 Benjamin Wooster from Nettlebed in Oxfordshire, corndealer, lived here.
Numbers 410, 411, 33 & 34 were sold for £1400 in 1906 and £350 spent on them subsequently. No. 411 consisted of a house, shop and stable with frontage of 16' 3" to the High Street and the shop front extended beyond the main building frontage. This is old property. At rear is a 4 stall stable and stable yard (recently built). In 1909 an old stable was in place of the new one. The stable yard extends behind no. 410 High Street. The rent for the rooms and stable was £3 10s a month, the shop and parlour were not let. The owner was Mrs M C Ward, 12 Melrose Road, Southfields, SW who had a leasehold for 79 years; Mrs S N M Jones of 40 Claverton Street, Pimlico, SW was the freeholder.(T) A 1907 trade directory records Mrs MJ Wooster, corn chandler at 411 (but the directory may have been compiled in 1906 before the sale).
In 1911 James Arthur Horace Harrison, general smith and farrier, lived here with his wife Rose Amelia and their three children Horace James (6), Arthur (4) and Kathleen Mary (1). The children were all born in Chiswick, suggesting they moved to no. 411 recently. The property had 4 rooms, a fifth room was occupied by George Head, a labourer and bricklayer, and his wife Annie. Descendant of the Harrison family, Roger Davis adds that the Harrison family remained at this address in 1913 (his mother's birth) and in 1914 (Kelly's trade directory). James the blacksmith, both lived and worked at 411, but some time between 1914 and 1916, he and the family moved to Thames Road ( now Strand-On-The-Green) and remained there while James continued to work from the High Street forges. The Harrison family later moved to no. 340 High Street.
In 1928 no. 411 was used by Thomas Ashby and Edward Pozzi, confectioner, the latter was here in 1933. In 1940 no. 411 was still a confectioner's, run by F. Crosby. In 1952 Gladys Crosby lived here - perhaps his widow? (electoral register).
The tithe map (1840) shows a property adjoining what was to become no. 411 but it had gone by the time the 1865 OS Map was prepared. This property was owned by the Grand Junction Waterworks Co and described as a house & yard occupied by Samuel Purnell in the tithe enumeration.
Samuel Purnell headed a household of four, including a baker journeyman, John Gillim(?) at the time of the 1841 census and he was recorded as aged 25 (ie 25 - 29 in practice). He moved to number 373 by the time of the 1851 census.
Links are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link (the navigation area to the left).
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
402 1892 (C Cover); 1945/6 photo(H)
403 - 405 1945/6 photo(H)
404 1945/6 photo(H)
405 1889 advert JJ Blindell, St George's Parish Magazine (L); 1945/6 photo (H)
410 - 411 2007 photo
1839 Tithe map modern numbers 402 to 411 have tithe property refs 172 to ca 162
1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Lamb Passage or Lamb Yard between the Lamb (no. 409) and 410. In the 1891 census it was called 'Pomona Court', in 1871 Pomona Cottages.
Kew Bridge Road follows on from no. 411 High Street, although it did not appear to be distinguished from the High Street in the earlier censuses. However deeds held at LMA suggest the eastern end of the road leading up to Kew Bridge was known as Kew Bridge Road by the 1820s.
Published 2006; last updated February 2023.