BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 21 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 247 to 257 High Street, Old BrentfordThis section is on the northern side of the High Street and was opposite Montgomreys Wharf and saw mill. The 1909/10 Valuation Records describe several of the properties as 'old' or 'very old' which I take to mean built pre 1800.
By 1909/10 numbers 252 and 254-6 had been demolished. In the 1913 - 1933 trade directories numbers 252-5 are not included. By 1940 the Borough of Brentford & Chiswick Health Centre and Brentford & Chiswick Juvenile Employment Bureau were the only buildings recorded between numbers 249 and 258. In about 2000 the 1930s Health Centre building, Alexandra House, which faces on to Alexandra Road, was listed (L).
Duke of Cambridge Beer House (247)The 'Duke of Cambridge' beer house is listed in 1861 – 1911 censuses. There were 10 lodgers here in 1871, 11 in 1891.
In 1907 Mrs Susan Peasland was the beer retailer and barge owner here. She married Peter James Gotts in 1908.
In 1909 the Valuation return lists the owner as Messrs Fuller Smith & Turner, Chiswick and describes it as a house and shop at east corner of Spring Gardens. Top floor: 2 attics; 1st floor: 2 rooms; ground floor: shop, parlour, private entrance in New Spring Gardens, kitchen. Outside: washhouse, WC, old stable for 2 horses. Cellar in basement. This is an old property & dilapidated. Flooring in places is broken away. Front elevation wants painting. These premises were a beerhouse at 30/04/1909.
In the 1911 census the Duke of Cambridge was run by Susan Gotts and her second husband. The property had 7 rooms.
Henry Thomas Ford was recorded here in a 1913 directory, Mrs Alice Hopgood, confectioner in a 1928 trade directory.Top
Number 248A terrace house and shop of three storeys, which has settled considerably, several window frames rotten. New drains and a new WC were put in recently and the premises to a certain extent have been repaired (Details from 1909/10 Valuation Records).
Miss Elvina Johnson, shopkeeper, lived here in the 1871 and 1881 censuses. In the 1861 census she is recorded on the western corner of New Spring Gardens, number 246. It seems unlikely she moved two doors down the road but that's what the censuses suggest. In 1901 she is recorded in the Ferry Lane Almshouses, aged 79 and born in Brentford.
In 1907 Charlotte Murray, wardrobe dealer, is recorded at this address in a trade directory. A 1911 directory has the same entry, the census from this year records her as a widow and 'general clothier', a daughter and grandson lived with her, also a boarder, William Arthur Blackburn, a gauger (wine and spirits). The property had 5 rooms.
Stephen Flint, greengrocer, was recorded here in trade directories from 1913 to 1940.Top
Number 249A house & yard owned by Benjamin Gelding in the 1839/41 tithe return, occupier John Taylor. John Donville Taylor married Maria Sarah Parsons at Ealing parish church in 1840 and is listed as running the bakery at no. 249 in 1841 & 1851. John died in 1856 (PCC will 1857) leaving four sons: Henry, Joseph Thomas, George & Charles who in adulthood remained in Brentford; George took over the bakery business, and his brothers had their own businesses, but also became local councillors.
By 1861 John's widow, Maria Sarah had moved to number 237 and was running the bakery from here. Number 249 continued as a bakery until 1891. At the time of the 1909/10 Valuation it was a butchers shop owned by Percy Meyers of Hounslow 'this is a very old property'. It was a brick-built, tiled terrace house and shop of 3 storeys:
In the 1911 census no. 249 was described as a lock-up shop (not used as a dwelling). Trade directories show: 1907 & 1913 James Nelson & Sons Ltd, butchers; 1926,1928 & 1931 Barnes & Co., butchers; 1933 & 1940 Donald Mackay Shaw, dairyman. Phone directories for 1950-1955 show D J M Shaw, photographer, at this address and the 1952 electoral register lists Donald M, Helen M and Hamilton N M Shaw at 249.Top
Number 250A dyers, run by Francis Norminton in 1839, John Norminton in 1841 & 1845, then Miss Caroline Norminton in 1851. In 1852 Caroline married James Parsons, the younger brother of Maria Sarah Taylor nee Parsons (see above no. 249) and they settled at no. 287, where James ran a grocers shop.
By 1861 the dyers business was run by James Goldney, who remained here until 1891. In 1901 Mrs Clementine Goldney lived here. A Miss MCE Goldney was the owner & occupier in the 1909/10 Valuation returns and the property is described as very old and in fair repair. There is a note that the shops of numbers 250 and 251 communicate: Miss Goldney also owned no. 251. In 1913 James Goldney, draper & dyer used 250/251. By 1928 Mrs Mary Wilson, draper had taken over and remained there in 1933.
The property is not listed in 1940 and the Borough of Brentford & Chiswick Health Centre and Brentford & Chiswick Juvenile Employment Bureau are listed in the area between Alexandra Road and number 258.
Number 252A shoemakers run by Joseph Sanders in 1839, 1841, 1851 & 1861, by which date he was 82. In 1851 14 people lived in the house. Daniel Sanders, presumably his son, is listed at the same address in 1851, 1861, 1871 & 1874. In 1881 Joseph Sanders is running the business, and by 1890 the business had transferred to Joseph Church, bootmaker. In 1891 a laundress Mrs Ann (Nicklas?) lived here; by 1901 the property was not inhabited and the 1909/10 Valuation returns describe it as a 'plot of ground with hoarding erected thereon'.
Number 253This 'house and yard' was owned by George Sanders and occupied by John Jinks or Jenks when the tithe enumeration took place in 1839 – 41. John Jinks/Jenks was a labourer aged 40 (to 44) in 1841.
The property was separated from the One Tun by an alley, Old Spring Gardens, to the British School which was used 1834 - 1855.
By 1861 John Johnson, fishmonger, was living here with his wife Matilda and five children aged 13 months to 16. John was born in Isleworth, his wife in Uxbridge. The Johnson family remained at no. 253 in 1871, 1881 and 1891.
In 1901 George Winckworth, also a fishmonger, was living here. Patricia Parma Johnson has written to say he was the son-in-law of John Johnson, having married John's daughter Hannah and that he took over the running of the shop when John Johnson died in 1894.
The Valuation Records from ca 1910 describe no. 253 as a house and shop, occupied by Winkworth and owned by Isabelle Steel. It was an old and dilapidated brick and tile corner building with a shop, 1 room over and a small yard with WC. It had a frontage of 14' to the High Street. It is included in a 1911 trade directory (George Winckworth, fishmonger).
In 1926 and 1933 Albert William Wheeler used no. 253: in 1933 he ran a café here, in 1938 this was run by Albert T. Nicholson.Top
One Tun PH (254)The 'One Tun' Inn was an early C18 building, run by John Thick in 1839 – 1891; John Thick was 35 in 1841; 'abstract of the will of John Thick of the Green Man Tavern, Covent Garden, and the One Tun Inn, Old Brentford, victualler, coachmaker and wheelwright - ref. ACC/0891/02/06/0418 - date: 21 Mar 1868' (I) suggests he died in 1868; his son John was born about 1837 and was running the inn by 1881. In 1901 Mrs Selina Thick, widow, was running the One Tun. Demolished ca 1905 (C47).
Numbers 254, 255 and 256 were demolished by the time of the 1909/10 Valuation: 254 and 255 were not referred to, 256 was a 'building site'. 'This land has special value in consequence of the long return frontage to Alexandra Road and its value in conjunction with the adjoining site.' The site was about 250' deep and had 20' rear frontage to Albany Road. Having looked long and hard at the maps and directories, I've concluded that Alexandra Road was built around 1909/11 using the land created when the One Tun and number 255 were demolished.Top
Number 256The tithe map for Ealing in 1841 shows no. 256 with reference no. 366. 366 includes a property and a long plot behind it extending to Back Lane. The tithe enumeration describes it as a 'house and garden' owned by Colonel Watson and occupied by David Wright. I think this is a misread for David Waight, as in the 1841 census Elizabeth Waight, aged 44 lived here with her 8 children, the eldest son, Alexander, was a bricklayer.
Elizabeth Waight is recorded here in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, by which time she was 67. In 1851 she was a 'bricklayer' and the 1861 census shows she was born in New Brentford, whereas her children were born in Old Brentford. In 1871 her son Thomas, a builder, is recorded as the head of household. He remained here in 1881.
Pages 1 and 2 of the 1891 census were damaged (and are omitted from some of the subscription web sites) but Lynn Hayter, having checked the originals at The National Archives in 2009, is confident that the Pither family, headed by James Pither, bricklayer, lived here in 1891.
James Pither, bricklayer, born Hurst, Berkshire, continued to live here in 1901 with his grown up daughter and two sons.
In the 1909/10 Valuation no. 256 was a 'building site': see notes above for 254. The site was owned by Francis G D Watson, presumably a descendant of the Colonel Watson who owned this property 70 years previously when the tithe enumeration took place. It was valued at £300.
See below for a link to a postcard showing this area.Top
Number 257A detached cottage and shop.
The Waight family lived at 256 and their next door neighbours to the east were:
By the next census the High Street was numbered and occupants of no. 257 were:
The 1841 and 1851 censuses also include a lodging house in Hardings Court (1841) and Sweeps Alley (1851) in each case the next entry on the census, next but one to the Waight family at 256.
But equally no. 257 could accommodate as many as twelve (including six children) as it had three floors and a wider than average frontage.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 257 has having a 20' 6” frontage to the High Street with a right of way under part of the cottage to the school playground at rear. Originally known as Hardings Court and 79 Albany Road.
It was a detached cottage and shop, with 2 small attics on the top floor, 2 rooms and a box room on the first floor and a shop, parlour, outside washhouse and WC 'This is a very old cottage of brick and plaster with tiled roof (1909/10 Valuation)'. It was owned by E C Platt, 25 Rowan Rd, Brook Green W with a tithe of one penny paid by the owner.
The 1911 census shows Albert William Wheeler, a confectioner at this address, he had moved here recently (his 5 month old son was born in Marylebone). The property had 6 rooms. In a 1926 trade directory Albert William Wheeler was a 'general dealer' at 257 & 253 High Street. In 1928 and 1933 directories he was a 'furniture dealer'.
See below for a link to a postcard showing this area.Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link in the navigation area to the left.
References such as '1899 (A11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (A11). Details of 'A' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
1894 OS Map annotated with house numbers
Roads OffNew Spring Gardens between numbers 246 & 247
Old Spring Gardens between numbers 253 & 254; known as British Schools Alley in 1848 (OS Map)
One Tun Yard and One Tun Alley (both names are recorded in 1881) between numbers 254 & 255; widened in the early 1900s to create Alexandra Road (appears in 1911 directory)
Hardings Court between numbers 257 & 258; known as Sweeps Alley on 1848 OS map and 1861 census; in the 1881 census the enumerator for district 18 has noted 'Sweeps Alley now named Hardings Court'
Published 2006; last updated December 2017