This image is reproduced courtesy of Corporation of London, London Metropolitan Archives
The property numbers on the map are those used in the tithe apportionment and are not the same as the house numbers allocated in 1876. Dwellings are shaded pink, work places, churches, outbuildings etc. are shaded grey.
In the notes below tithe refs. are prefixed 'T', High Street house numbers have no prefix.
The parish boundary between New Brentford and Ealing is marked to the left, running down Half Acre. At the point when the tithe map was drawn, St Mary's Ealing was the parish church for Old Brentford and St George was just a chapel.
On the northern side of the High Street, working eastwards:
- (T433/225): the building on the corner of Half Acre, no. 225 High Street.
- (T423/232): the Feathers is marked as a Public House and was part of a continuous line of buildings. In the 1860s St Paul's Road was built, requiring demolition of two of the properties to the east of the Feathers.
- (T416): to the east is access to the chapel (T411). There are pictures of the chapel in 'Brentford Past' (from the Dedication Service of the 'New Wesleyan Chapel' in 1864) and 'Then and Now Brentford'. The tithe map must show an earlier chapel on the same site.
- (T399/246): the access to Spring Gardens is shown.
- (T372/254): the One Tun is marked with Old Spring Gardens to its west, One Tun Yard to its east.
- (T363): this larger plot was later the site of Brentford British School, built in the 1850s.
On the southern side of the High Street, working eastwards:
- (T14-16/85-81): these five properties were owned by William & Henry Jupp.
- (T17-18/80-79): these properties were owned by John Clark; he lived in the distinctive L-shaped house a little set back from the High Street (T17/80).
- (T11/78): James Montgomrey lived in this larger house. Dock Road was yet to be built between numbers 78 & 79 (T18 & T11), and presumably was needed when the railway serving Brentford Dock was built, between 1855 and 1859. Dock Road is shown on the 1865 OS Map. Montgomrey's large timber depot lies to the east of his house.
Details of owners and occupiers.
Published 2005; last updated March 2010