BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Boston (Manor) Road, Brentford
Boston Road runs from Half Acre to the north west out of Brentford and formed the parish boundary between Hanwell (later New Brentford) and Ealing (later Old Brentford), shown as a dotted line on the 1894-6 OS map.
Although marked as 'Boston Road', by 1935 it was known as 'Boston Manor Road' and previously (OS map published 1869) was 'Boston Lane'. Lindens is marked at no. 73 (thanks to Janet McNamara, Carolyn Hammond and Vin Miles) - see links below for a postcard view of this house.
The 1894-6 OS map includes a wealth of detail, marking letter boxes, chapels, a Sunday School and larger houses such as Boston House by name. Nearer town, the map shows development on both sides of the road as far as Inverness Lodge, but after that the west side of the road remained fields. The map shows a Public House at the town end: this was the King's Arms at no. 19. The Brewery marked further north was between numbers 53 and 55, originally the Star Brewery but named the Boston Brewery by the time the 1894 street directory was compiled.
Thanks to contributors the site has material about several properties and also some postcards. Starting from the southern end near the town and working northwards into the open countryside:
Other photos of Boston Road appear in:
See 'Books etc.' for details of local history books referenced above.
Published April 2016; last updated January 2023