BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Brentford Families - HowardLiz Bryant sent her history of Howard and Sons, including two deckle-edged photographs showing the frontage and a view looking eastwards.
Howard and Sons, ironmongers, of 298-299 Brentford High StreetMy great aunt, Dorothy Howard, was one of the owners of Howard and Sons of 298-299 Brentford High Street. She was born Dorothy Marrable Bryant on 1 January 1892 and married Frank Howard on 31 August 1918.
The firm of Howard was founded by Daniel Howard in 1860. His sons Charles and Henry went into business with him and the partnership became Howard and Sons (Ironmongers). Daniel died in 1903 and Charles and Henry became the sole owners. Henry died in 1920 and his wife Annie Howard took on the partnership with Charles. On Annie’s death in 1926, her sons Bernard and Frank took on the partnership with Charles. In the 1940s, Charles, Bernard and Frank died, and their shares in the partnership passed to their wives Edith Howard (second wife of Charles), Mary Howard (wife of Bernard) and Dorothy Howard (wife of Frank).
Records show that, in 1910, the premises at 298-299 were owned by Mrs L Stevens. At some point after this date, the freehold was purchased by the Howards. In 1937, St George’s Court, an area of vacant land behind no 297, was purchased by Howard and Sons.
Under a Compulsory Purchase Order made on 21 June 1961, 298-299 and St George’s Court were acquired for demolition by Chiswick and Brentford County Council. In the schedule to the Order, the owners of 298-299 were stated to be Mrs M J Howard, Mrs D M Howard and the trustees of C W Howard (deceased). The owner of St George’s Court was described as Howard & Sons (Brentford) Ltd.
Dorothy Howard died on 25 January 1963. At the time of her death, negotiations relating to the sale of 298-299 and St George’s Court were taking place. When the sale went through, Howard and Sons moved to a freehold site at the corner of Field Lane and London Road. Dorothy Howard had no children. She liaised with her nephew, John Henry Howard, concerning the running of the business. John was the son of Bernard and Mary Howard.
Dorothy Howard lived at 9 Windmill Road, Brentford. Her parents, Charles and Kate Bryant, lived at 7 Windmill Road. She had two brothers and a sister. Her brother Charles Marrable Bryant died at the battle of the Somme on 1 July 1916 and is commemorated on the Brentford War Memorial. Her other brother, Philip Harry Bryant, was my grandfather. Her sister Kate Bryant, emigrated to Australia.Top
Can you help date the photos? The bus and a couple of cars could be 1950s (the cars do not look bulky enough to be 1930s)? There looks to be a building under construction to the right, which would be somewhere between Goat Wharf and Smith Hill, around where Ealing Road goes off to the left. It looks very different now in Streetview. If you have any ideas please get in touch.
LinksNotes about the occupants of 298-299 High Street; at the foot of this page are links to images of the area
Photo of Brentford War Memorial: C.M. Bryant
St George's Court in the 1960s
Page published January 2020