Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

High Street west of Town Meadow Road, early 1900s

High Street view with distant tram

This tinted postcard, sent in 1905, shows the view from the western corner of Town Meadow Road looking west on a quiet day, very little traffic. The tramlines and distant tram confirm the photo was taken in the early 1900s (the card was sent in 1905).

The building on the Town Meadow Road corner was no. 61, the words 'straw' and 'seed' can be made out on the original, helping confirm the location: in 1901 no. 61 was a corn and coal dealers, run by the Dale family. Further on there are signs for the Rising Sun at numbers 68/69. At no. 63 lived James Clements, tug owner in 1901.

On the other side of the High Street, the name 'Bridge' marks the harness makers shop at no. 267 with 'Parcel Express' outside.

Details of numbers 61 - 69 and on the right 257 - 266 and 267 - 272.

Published August 2010; updated September 2011