BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 23 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 267 to 272 High Street, Old BrentfordThis short stretch on the northern side of the High Street runs between two alleys: Cannon Alley and the Kings Arms Alley. Notes are included for each of the six properties.
I have not found any photos or ephemera for this section of the High Street so far.
The Cannon PH - 267The Cannon PH was established here before 1839; Mary Dale is listed here in 1839 and 1841 (when the household consisted of 16 including 1 female servant, 2 watermen, 8 agricultural labourers and a horsekeeper). Mary was succeeded by Joseph Dale in 1851, then John Hawkins (1861), John Strahan (1871 & 1874), Arthur Cox (1881).
The Cannon must have closed between 1881 & 1890 as in 1890 Joseph Wilson Bridge, saddler born in Cambridgeshire lived here; he remained here in 1891 and in 1901 Mrs Harriet Bridge, lived here.
In the 1909/10 Valuation returns the owner and occupier is Matthew Wilson Bridge. At this time the ground floor included a shop and workshop, large back room, large kitchen and there were several wooden sheds at the rear with a yard entrance from Albany Road. In 1911 the occupants were widowed Harriet Bridge (79); her son Wilson Bridge (age 50, married but no wife recorded), both harness makers; unmarried niece Margaret Chapman (61): all three were born in Cambridgeshire. Trade directories for 1913 list Wilson Bridge, saddler; 1928 Mrs Bridge; 1933 Frederick C Heath, saddler.
Wilton Joseph Goddard, electrical engineer was at no. 267 in 1940.Top
Number 268Henry Marsh, boot & shoemaker lived here in 1839 and is listed in the 1841 & 51 censuses. In 1861 Thomas Marsh, bootmaker (master) headed a household of 8 including a servant, presumably he was a son of Henry.
In 1871 Mrs Ann Cross marine store dealer lived here, aged 60. She was succeeded in 1881 by Timothy Harris, general dealer, who was sharing the house with 3 other households, headed by Robert Taylor, labourer, John Kir Baldy, tailor & John Babolock, excavator. Timothy Harris remained here in 1890, by which time he was a ‘wardrobe dealer’. In the 1891 census John Harris, second hand dealer lived here; he was born in Uxbridge and shared the house with two other households, headed by George Bowman, shoemaker and George G(r/e)all, blacksmith.
In 1901 the sole occupant was Mrs Harriet Howland, house duties – presumably a housekeeper. In 1911 Frederick Howland, age 35, lived and worked from this address as a boot repairer; he had a wife, son and daughter and a servant lived in: Rose Brown.
The property was valued in 1913, at which time it was empty. It was owned by Mrs Sophia Jones and was a 3 storey terrace house & shop, in bad order, now being repaired.
By 1928 George William Grant lived here, he remained here in 1933. By 1940 Thomas E King, a florist was established here; the 1952 electoral register records Thomas E and Charlotte A E King at no. 268.Top
Number 269James Studley a grocer lived here in 1839, the property consisting of a house, yard and outhouse at the time of the tithe return, owned by Mrs Anne Beck. In 1841 he was aged ‘35’ and headed a household of eight, including a female servant and an apprentice; in 1851 the household head was Mrs Ann Studley, tea dealer & grocer; in 1861 she was succeeded by James R Studley, grocer & cheesemonger aged 31; in 1871 he is described as ‘grocer & wine merchant and Wesleyan local preacher’.
By 1874 William Carter, grocer was living here, he remained in 1881. In the 1890 trade directory there is an entry for Mrs Ellen Carter, ‘grocer & agent for W & A Gilbey, wine & spirit merchant’ at number 269’. In 1901 there is no reference to the business, a bricklayer, Charles W Beason (or Benson) lived here.
In the 1909/10 Valuation returns J Knight is the occupier; there is reference to Messrs Whitbread & Co Ltd Brewery of Chiswell Street, London EC and a tenancy from 1908 for 25 years and the property is described as an ‘off-licence, shop & premises with a frontage of 16’ 3” plus archway 6’ 7" ...' and mentions there being a 2-stall stable & stores.
No return was made in the 1911 census for no. 269. The 1913 trade directory lists John Knight, wine spirit & beer merchant here. By 1928 the premises were used by Sydney James Davis, cycle dealer, who remained here in 1933 and 1940.Top
Number 270Features in some but not all census returns; perhaps it had periods when it was unoccupied. In 1841 Samuel Sheppard, army (pensioner?) lived here, in 1851 Samuel Shephered was a labourer. No sign of the property in the 1861 and 1871 censuses. By 1881, when the High Street had been numbered, William Ransom, travelling confectioner, lived here. He had moved on – by 1891 the property was shared by Mrs Annie Bissell and John Hopkins, tailor. In the 1901 census Benjamin Wright, shop porter, lived here.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records describe it as a detached house, frontage 16’, set back from the road and approached through the archway of number 269. The premises were ‘old but in very fair repair’.
In 1911 William Cunningham, a labourer lived, here with his wife and two further generations: a son-in law (Linden) and a granddaughter (Pitts). William Cunningam remained here in 1913.
In 1928 John A Rippingham was recorded here, in 1933 Albert Henry Hill, neither man had a trade. No-one was recorded at this address in a 1940 trade directory.Top
Number 271Occupied by William Hughes at the time of the tithe return, a car man or carrier. He remained at the same address in 1841, 1851 and 1861, by which time he was 65 and a ‘parish constable and engine keeper’. In 1871, aged 75, he was a furniture dealer.
In 1881 Charles Cooper, wheelwright lived at number 271. 1891 and 1901 showed further changes of hand. Mrs Sophia Jones is recorded as the owener in the 1909/10 Valuation Records, no indication of occupier. The property was old ‘but has been repointed’ (or it could be ‘repainted’). The frontage was a meagre 10’ 6”.
By 1911 John O’Dwyer, confectioner lived here with his wife and a boarder, Mabel Loosley, a 21 year old typist. In 1928 and 1933 Mrs E O’Dwyer, presumably his widow and also a confectioner remained here. By 1940 another change of occupier, to Miss T Buywell, draper.Top
Number 272A house on the western corner of Kings Arms Alley and the home of John Coe, the undertaker, in the 1839 Pigot Directory, the tithe return and in the 1841 census where he is aged 50. At the time of the tithe return John Grimault owned no. 272, he also owned another dozen properties in this stretch of the High Street.
John Coe remained here in the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses; in the latter he is a ‘retired undertaker’ aged 79.
By 1881 Joseph Thomas Meakes, smith, lived here. Perhaps his name was ‘Meades’ as in 1890 the trade directory lists William Meades, plumber at this address. In 1891 Richard Meades, plumber aged 26 and born Brentford lived here.
By 1901 Thomas Dear, lamplighter & cycle maker, 39 headed a household of 7. See Dear family for more details.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records name the owner as Mrs Sophia Jones, who also owned numbers 268 & 271. No. 272 was a brick built semi-detached on 3 floors, tiled roof, old but repointed (this could be repainted) had a frontage of 13’ 6” ‘more in rear’:
The Dear family remained at no. 272 in 1911: the father, Thomas, was a lamp lighter and three sons were still living at home of which two, Horace and Peter Nicols Dear, were cycle makers working from home. In 1913 the trade directory records Horace Dear, cycle maker at this address; he would have been 20 at the time.
Comparing two 1914 directories it appears Horace Dear moved from no. 272 to 312 High Street around this time, and Harry Redwood, ‘bird dealer’, moved into no. 272. See Redwood family for more details.
George Bartholomew (1928) and Mrs Bartholomew (1933) are recorded at no. 272, then in 1940 T.H. Peters, welder. Arthur Peters, his son, has written about the Peters family, including photos of no. 272 with its distinctive hipped gable roof. The 1952 electoral register shows Thomas H and Gertrude A Peters at no. 272.Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link (the navigation area to the left).
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
Roads OffCannon Alley between numbers 266 & 267
Kings Arms Alley between numbers 272 & 273
Published March 2007; last updated October 2016