Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

New Brentford - Pennington Jubilee 1904

View looking east from Brentford Bridge, including St Lawrence's church

Howard Webb has provided a scan of this postcard, postmarked 1909 and presumably from 1904, when Pennington celebrated their golden jubilee, 1854 - 1904.

Henry Wakeford Pennington's clothier business occupied numbers 161, 162 & 163. A little further along on the left was the Grand Junction Arms beerhouse at 166.

On the right is the signed Lord Nelson beerhouse at no. 154. The footpath by the railings on the left would take you down to the canal and the road can be seen rising towards Brentford Bridge. The bridge was widened in the early C20 to allow for trams

More distantly on the right part of St Lawrence's church can be seen. The trees nearby mark the gardens of the vicarage at no. 138. The substantial 3-storey building next to the church was a workmen's hostel.

Below is a scan forwarded by Howard from a second postcard published by Wakefields, which zooms in on the original view.

View focused on central part of previous image

See details of Pennington's and other properties on the left and on the right properties near St Lawrence's church and those nearer the photographer.

Published November 2008; updated January 2011