BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 12 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 142 to 151 High Street, New BrentfordThis section on the south side of the High Street runs from Church Alley to The Ham and includes the Six Bells PH and a scale makers business which operated for 90 years or more.
The tithe map shows 11 properties in this stretch, the 1865 OS map shows 10 and this is reflected in High Street numbering in 1876. The 1865 maps suggests the property next but one to Church Alley had a larger frontage to High Street than its neighbours and the 1851 census provides a clue, describing one property as ‘two houses in one’. The 1909/10 Valuation shows no. 143 was twice as wide as its neighbours, with 4 attic rooms instead of 2: I conclude it was originally two properties and have created '143b' to accommodate it.
This area was badly affected in the 1841 flood: 7 households in this stretch received money collected for those whose trade was affected (X).
Late in 1966 archaeological excavations took place in the area between the Six Bells (149) and St Lawrence’s Church, from the High Street running back to the old railway spur to Brentford Docks. ‘The site had been cleared of houses and factory buildings some years earlier in anticipation of the construction of a road and services for the Dock housing development’ (G17/18). Quentin Pickard has provided a contemporary account of the excavations covering 141 - 147 High Street.
In 2003 there were no buildings between the Church and Six Bells as the road Augustus Close was cut through to the estate at Brentford Dock (L).
Number 142Property on the western side of Church Alley. In 1841 Richard Hatton, hairdresser aged 20 (ie 20 – 24) was recorded two doors along from the Black Boys, presumably at no. 142. The property was one of those flooded in 1841 and ‘Mr Hatton hair cutter’ of the south side of High Street received £2 10 shillings (£2.50) compensation (X). I think, however, that he may have lived in a small property on the corner of High Street and Church Alley (as there are 12 houses listed in 1841 but only 11 properties in this section). If so then the occupant of no. 142 would have been David Waters, tinman.
In 1851 Maria H Geary and her sister Eliza Geary lived here, both unmarried, aged 61 and 47. Maria was a shopkeeper born Isleworth, her sister was born in St Pancras. The next property recorded in the census was in Church Alley.
In 1861 Matthew W Emmerson, sail and rope maker, lived here with his family: in all 11 occupied the property.
No. 142 was uninhabited in 1871. An 1874 trade directory records Elizabeth Everett, clothier in New Brentford and in 1878, following the High Street numbering, her address is given ‘142 High Street’. In 1881 the census for no. 142 shows she was 42, widowed, born Brentford, had five children aged 9 to 16 still at home, and was a clothier (second hand women’s).
In 1891 John Winsborrow, a 24 year old butcher born Oakford, Devon, headed a household which included two elder unmarried sisters (Bessie and Amelia Augusta, milliners) and a visitor Ellen Strachan.
An 1898 trade directory records Charles Allen, furniture broker, at 142 & 143 High Street. The 1901 census shows Charles Allen living at no. 143 and John H Holmes at 142: John was a dairy man with a wife and son aged 2. Both men worked from home, perhaps the furniture broker used part of no. 142?
A 1907 trade directory shows Henry Devonish Wilson, oilman at 142 High Street.
The 1909/10 Valuation includes a small sketch plan of number 142 – 146 High Street: the frontages of 142, 144 and 145 are all 12’, that of 143 24’ and 146 16’. They were described as a ‘terrace of two storey and attic shops, cemented or red brick with tiled roofs’. The occupant of 142 was ‘Miller’ in April 1915 and the property was described:
The 1911 census shows an unusual household: Charles Thomas Miller, 47, married 24 years with six children surviving out of the eight born, a bicycle maker and dealer, born Lambeth, no sign of his wife, and Gabrielle Emily Gleyze, single, 30, a cycle wheel builder born Marseille, France. How did Gabrielle come to live in New Brentford making cycle wheels?
By 1913 Gabrielle and Charles had moved on: a G Gleyze, cycle dealer, is recorded nearer Brentford Bridge at 154 High Street in trade directories from 1920 to 1940 suggesting Gabrielle set up her own cycle business.
Meanwhile no. 142 reverted to more mundane usage: a greengrocers run by Sidney Charles Sutton in 1913, then George Johnson until at least 1940, possibly later.Top
Number 143Originally two properties, but by 1865 OS Map shown as one. See notes below for 143b, the property to the west, which was originally separate.
Occupancy before the High Street was numbered in 1876 can be arrived at as a William Englefield, grocer, was recorded in the 1881 census at no. 143 and he also appears in this area in the 1871 census. In 1861 William Simmons, grocer, is recorded 3 doors away from the Black Boys at no. 140 and position / continuity of trade suggests he was also at no. 143. Earlier censuses show possible occupants as Edward Eade, a police constable (1851) and William Eustance, pork butcher (1841).
In 1891 William Winks, grocers manager born Gainsborough, Lincs, lived at no. 143, with his wife Emma and son George. He is likely to be related to the William Winks recorded at 143b forty years previously.
By 1901 Charles Allen, furniture dealer, wife and six children aged 10-26, all local, occupied and presumably worked from no. 143. Christine Kershaw adds (2011) 'Sons Charles worked for Grocer in High street and son Harold worked for Butcher in High street at this time'.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 143: ‘as 146 High Street but with double frontage’. It had 4 attics, 4 rooms on the first floor and on the ground floor a large shop, a parlor and kitchen plus outside WC.
Later occupants: William Hewitt (1920/1); Reginald Thomas Dear, motor engineer (1933); Reginald Dear, cycle dealer (1937 & 1940). In the 1950s no. 143 was 'Stella Cycle Co', proprietor Gert Wright. See below for a link to a photo and the 1952 electoral register for other occupants.Top
Number 143bSee notes in introduction and for no. 143 for details of how ‘143b’ came about.
Early occupancy could include George Yeasley, originally a painter and paper hanger but by 1845 a grocer and cheesemonger. This could be the start of the grocers shop in the two properties which merged to become no. 143.
William Winks, foreman to James Wray grocer, occupied the property in 1851 (described as ‘two houses in one’) and also in 1861. For later use see no. 143.Top
Number 144In 1871 James Harris, currier lived here. His descendant Pauline Tate has sent details of the Harris family, who lived at a number of High Street addresses, including no. 150, during the mid C19.
Charles Allen, hairdresser lived here in 1881, with a Russian , August Hinklein assisting him in his hairdressing business.
Charles moved to no. 174 by 1890. Later occupants of 144: Mrs Jessie A Day, milliner (1890); Richard B Day, milliner (1891 census). James Bush, a butcher born in Clapham (1901 census).
At the time of the Valuation (1910 - 1920) no. 144 was part of a terrace of '2 storey and attic shops' It had a 12' frontage to the High Street and 2 attic rooms, 2 rooms on the first floor and a shop, parlour, scullery and outside WC on the ground floor. A Gilbert Player owned this house and other properties on either side. For over 25 years the property was used as coffee rooms: Mrs F Beck was recorded in trade directories in 1913, 1933 and 1940.Top
Number 145The tithe map shows this property with an area of land behind it spanning numbers 142 to 148 which have smaller yards or gardens as a consequence. The property was owned by Ann Champain and occupied by William Boxall, ‘independent’ in 1841 with his son, William Boxall, baker and his small family. His son William, confectioner, remained here in 1851. There is a PCC will for the father William Boxall, ginger bread baker, of New Brentford, which was proved in 1851.
Scale makers lived here by 1861 and this business continued until at least 1940. George H Gandy, master scale maker formerly from Shoreditch, employed an apprentice in 1861 and is listed until 1921. Gandy family notes include a link to a photo of a Gandy weight. By 1926 Young, Son & Marlow had taken over and they are listed until 1940.
In the 1909/10 Valuation Records the property is described as a ‘house, shop and workshops’ annual rental £32, the owner is named as Gilbert Player, Moreton Hall, Astwood Bank near Redditch, the occupier as ‘Gandy’. At the rear of the property was a range of workshops, stock brick built and tiled or slated, a smithy red brick built & corrugated; a detached red brick & glazed paint shop; a WC; a wood & tiled stable with entrance from Church Alley. The property was on a plot 80’ deep.Top
Number 146Last property in a terrace, see 142 for details.
John Lindley, fruiterer lived here in 1841 with his wife, Mary Payne, age 90 (independent) and a servant, Christiana Gooden. Occupancy in 1851 and 1861 is unclear, James Childs, ironmonger brazier lived at either 146 or 147 in 1851, Edward Clark, tailor & tobacconist lived at either 146 or 147 in 1861. Edward Clark, tailor was also at a High Street address, New Brentford, in an 1866 trade directory.
By 1871 William Stannett, a confectioner, age 31 occupied no. 146 with his wife Harriet, three sons aged 5 months to 12 years and a servant, Ann Humphries (? Not clear). The Stannett family remained here as ‘tobacconists’ (trade directories of 1874, 1878, 1882 and the 1881 census). In the 1881 census son Frederick Stannett, 16, was a ‘travelling tobacconist’.
Vincent Cherrill or Cherrell, grocer traded from here in 1890. At the time of the 1891 census he was 45, born in Dorchester (‘Oxon’ – a mistake?), wife Sarah, 49, born Bodmin, Cornwall and two sons Vincent 6 and Halsey 2 born in Wooburn, Bucks.
John Dutton, shopkeeper, is recorded at 146 High Street in an 1898 trade directory. The 1901 census shows he and his wife Carrie were born in Penn, Bucks, they had three sons aged 8, 16 and 19 at home, the eldest born Wiltshire, the younger two in Brentford.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes 146:
The 1911 census confirms Mrs Dutton ‘Agnes Carolyn Dutton’ was a widow. Living with her were her son Harold, 18, grocer’s assistant, her widowed son-in-law Thomas Wakeford Pennington, 23, tea salesman and his daughter Florence Maud Mary Pennington 3 and son Frank John Wakeford Pennington 2. Bertha Florence Butler, 23 was a live-in servant. Thomas W Pennington was part of the Pennington family across the road at numbers 161 – 163.
Mrs Dutton ran a ‘general shop’ in directories to 1926, the directories for 1928 and 1931 shows Harold Dutton, ‘general shop’ and then ‘grocers’.
By 1933 Mrs Laura Taylor, grocer was at 146, then by 1937 and also in 1940 Arthur F Bennett, grocer.Top
Number 147Earlier occupancy pre 1871 is uncertain, but in 1841 William Piggott, shoemaker may have lived here. Notes for 146 provide possible residents in 1851 and 1861.
In 1871 Joseph W Watkins, cutler, aged 29 lived here with his wife Cicilia, 33 and 8 month old daughter, Mary.
The 1878 trade directory records Robert Goodman, wardrobe dealer at this address. He was at 314 High Street in the 1881 census and at no. 147 was Joseph N Mann, grocer. The 1882 directory provides his full name: Joseph Norman Mann.
In 1890 George Wheatley, basket maker, in 1891 James London, printer, in 1901 Mrs Florence Entecott, confectioner, 44, born Paddington. The 1911 census shows Florence Grace Entecott as 55, confectioner. Her widowed daughter Florence E Corner 33, ‘attendant’ (to her mother?) and her 9 year old daughter of the same name shared the house, with another son and daughter: Arthur E Entecott 25 and Katie I Entecott 23. The property had 5 rooms.
Florence Entecott remained at 147 High Street until at least 1913 (trade directory).
By 1920/1 Miss Frances Barrett ran a confectioners at 147, then by 1926 Charles Joseph Melfi, confectioner, who remained here until at least 1940.Top
Number 148A greengrocers from 1851 - run by Henry Brown 1851 & 1881, Mrs Mary Brown 1890; George Spence 1901; not listed 1913 onwards. According to the 1909/10 Valuation Records no. 148 and 149 were owned by Fuller, Smith & Turner, Griffin Brewery, Chiswick, and together made up the Six Bells PH. It notes no. 148 was rebuilt in 1904.
Six Bells PH (149)The Six Bells is listed from 1839 : Thomas Piper was the landlord in 1839 & 1841 (there is a PCC will of Thomas in 1850); Thomas Piper received £10 from the collection made to assist those whose trade was affected by the 1841 flood (X); Charles Piper was running the Six Bells in 1851 (there is a PCC will of Charles Piper in 1856); Thomas Piper was in charge in 1861 & 1871; James Dykes 1881 & 1891; Thomas G Dorey 1901.
Fuller, Smith & Turner, Griffin Brewery, Chiswick owned the Six Bells at the time of the 1909/10 Valuation and it was recorded as number 148 & 149 High Street, following a rebuilding in 1904. It was valued at £3500 and any further details, including a decsription of the property were noted: 'see file'. The occupier was Charles R Collin, who is recorded here in directories from 1907, 1913 & 1928.
Later the Six Bells was run by John Percival Krailing 1933, then Alfred Wilburn Stanley in 1940. The pub is still standing (as at 2011).Top
Number 150Run by the Harris family by 1841 and through to 1881: Henry Harris currier 1841; grocer & cheesemonger 1845; currier & general dealer 1851; currier & general dealer 1861; Miss Mary A Harris, grocer 1871; grocer & cheesemonger 1881; see Pauline Tate's research into the Harris family. Mrs Mary Dobson from Woodborough Wiltshire was listed as a grocer here in 1890 & 1901; by 1913 the premises were used by Mrs E Robinson a tailor.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records cover numbers 150 & 151 together, describing them in April 1915 as ‘a pair of 2-storey cement (faced?) and tiled shops with wood & glazed shop fronts. Fair condition only. Common yard with WCs at rear and so built that they could not be dealt with separately, having a Right of Way over properties in The Ham.’ The occupiers were Mrs Pierce and S G Dobson, the owner Miss Jane Headington of 12 Sheen Road, Richmond.Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link (the navigation area to the left).
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.142 Pre 1901 (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59); around 1906 - also glimpses of numbers 143 to 152
143 Pre 1901 (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59); Stella Cycle Co, 1950s
144 Pre 1901 (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59)
145 1892 (D5); Pre 1901, G H Gandy (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59)
146 1892 (D5); Pre 1901 (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59)
147 1892 (D5); Pre 1901 (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59)
148 1892 (D5); Pre 1901 (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59)
149 Six Bells Inn, J Dykes, 1892 (B99 & D5); pre 1901 Six Bells PH (A68, V41); early 1900s (S59); photo 1966 (Diane Lockie); photo 2002 (L)
Warning - download over 200k! 1838 Tithe map: modern numbers 142 to 151 are tithe property refs 18 to 8
Warning - download over 150k! 1894 Ordnance Survey map annotated with house numbers
Roads OffChurch Alley between numbers 141 & 142
The Ham between numbers 151 & 152
Published 2007; updated January 2016