BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Not Brentford New
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 14 -> Next Section | Previous Section
Numbers 159 - 170 High Street, New BrentfordThis section on the north side of the High Street runs from Brentford Bridge to Durham Wharf and backs on to the canal. This area was badly affected by the 1841 floods (X). It is possible to identify 8 tradesmen in this stretch who received compensation from the fund raised to support tradesman affected. (X plus 1841 census).
(This image is reproduced courtesy of Corporation of London, London Metropolitan Archives)
The New Brentford Tithe map (1838) shows a block of 12 terraces with small yards (no yards for the properties at either end).
The 1909/10 Valuation Records include a plan showing numbers 159 - 168 as a series of properties, each with a frontage of 15’ to the High Street and same length of yard to the rear – excepting numbers 159 (no yard) and 160 (yard is triangular, fitting into the line of the canal). They are described as ‘a terrace of 2 storey, attic and basement stock brick built with parapet walls, slated roofs & square dormers. Plain wood and glazed shop fronts. Old properties’
(2003) a new building development of three blocks of apartments with shops below is planned here (spanning where numbers 159 to 191 were). Nearest to the Bridge (area where no. 159 was) there is a small section that is to be a small nature area & some public open space with a bridge leading over the river to the Toll House at the Gauging Lock. (L)
By 2008 the development was completed: see Dave Stoneleigh’s photos of New Brentford.
Numbers 159 & 160159 and 160 were recorded together when the 1909/10 Valuation Records were compiled, 159 being a small shop and 160 an adjoining house, occupied together as one property, ‘no 159 has one storey & basement only’. The owner was S Woodbridge junior of Brent House, Brentford who was the Receiver appointed by the Mortgagee Mrs Mary Andrews, 14 Kings Avenue, Ealing. In the section ‘subordinate interests’ the lessee is named as Thomas T Pennington, 161/3 High Street, Brentford.
159 is listed in the 1871 census as ‘a small shop, no-one sleeps on the premises’. In the 1911 census no. 159 was described as a lock-up shop.
No. 160 was occupied by the Payne family in 1901 headed by John ‘Abram’ Payne, a ‘Waterside Labourer’, wife Mary and their 7 children, blessed with many forenames: Ellen Frances, 15; John Thomas Nathaniel, 13; Emily Elizabeth Louise, 10; Albert Edward George, 8; Florrie Annie Gladys, 6; Marian Dorothy Irene, 3 and James George William, 1. The property had 7 rooms and Charles Edwin Emm boarded with the Paynes.By 1908 no. 159 was a fishmongers run by George Clements; in 1928 he occupied both 159 and 160, remaining here in 1933 and 1940, although by 1940 he was just using the shop at 159; no. 160 was a hairdressers: W H Stephenson.
Pauline Chidwick writes ‘Mother always bought fresh fish from the tiny shop which was almost on Brentford Bridge and I can remember being sent there to buy live eels and going home on the bus with a wriggling bag at my feet!’ and Harry Langley also remembers ‘Crossing the Bridge our first shop was a small shop overlooking the Canal at the side. This was a fresh fish shop owned by Dan the fishmonger. As a small child, I used to imagine he got his fish from the canal.’
Fay Twydell adds ‘the little lean-to attached to Penningtons was once a Wool Shop and later a Driving School’.Top
Numbers 161 - 163Numbers 161 – 163 were occupied by a miscellany of trades people in 1841 and 1851. By 1861 the three properties were occupied by: Henry Stephens, tailor (master), William H Turner, tailor and Henry W Pennington, clothier. The Pennington business operated from 1854 for about 100 years and features in more than one set of ‘memories’ shared as part of this project. See Iris Lanham’s contribution for more details of the Pennington, Turner and Lanham families.
Henry Stephens, tailor & clothier is at number 161 in each census from 1861 (when he was 35) until 1891 and presumably was involved with the business in some capacity.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records describe the three properties as occupied by T T Pennington, owned by Henry Wakeford Pennington of Holly Grove House, Little Bushey, Herts, the owner of the property is the occupier’s father. Number 163 was a shop and upper rooms occupied as work rooms, whereas numbers 161 and 162 ‘provide residence other than shops’.
The Valuation Records also refer to a triangular plot of land at the rear of no. 161 owned by J Bovingdon, freehold: A triangular plot of land shut off from anywhere except an approach Right of Way about 16 square yards in extent. At the rear of 161 High Street Brentford and on the side of canal. No value for building on or agricultural purposes but might be added to other gardens. Gross value: £5. (The Field Book is held at the National Archives, Kew, reference IR 58/40147/553)
The 1911 census confirms the Pennington family occupied number 161, 162 and 163, 9 rooms in all. The father, Thomas, was a ‘manufacturing clothier’, two daughters Lillie Mary and Marion Irene were ‘court dressmakers’ and a third, Doris, a milliner.
Thomas Turner Pennington is listed in 1913, 1920, 1928 (where the trade directory entry states ‘established 1854’), 1933 & 1940.
Iris Lanham notes that the business was well known as a supplier to the canal boatmen.Top
Number 164Stephen Woodbridge, teacher lived here in 1841; in 1845 he is a ‘stationer & bookseller’; in 1851 a bookseller; in 1861 Mrs Alice Woodbridge, stationer lived here, aged 88. She had moved to no. 184 by the 1871 census, by which time she was 97. A Stephen Woodbridge, solicitor, lived at around no. 309 in 1871, aged 36, perhaps a son?
Charles Climpson, a master bootmaker born in Chesham Bucks, is recorded at no, 164 from 1871 until 1901. He married Lydia Harris in 1856. See Pauline Tate's research into the Harris family for more details. In the 1909/10 Valuation Records no. 164 was owned by Joseph James Neville of ‘Homeland’, Clapham Hill, Whitstable on Sea.
The property was unoccupied at the time of the 1911 census.
After Charles Climpson died in 1912 the property was occupied by Edward Jay, picture frame maker (1913); William Turner, confectioner (1920/21); Mrs L. Bennett, florist (1928 & 1933). There is no reference to no. 164 in the 1940 trade directory.Top
Number 165The Neville family lived here from 1851: Joseph ‘cooper at a brewery’ 1851; Joseph O., a cooper from 1861 – 1881; then Mrs Amy Neville, a milliner in 1891 and ‘living on her own means’ in 1901, by which time she was 84. In the 1909/10 Valuation Records no. 165 was owned by Misses Amy & August Neville of ‘Homeland’, Clapham Hill, Whitstable on Sea.
Alister Neville has kindly contributed details of the Neville family tree.
In the 1911 census William Wright, a bootmaker, lived and ran a shop from no. 165. He had a wife Alice and two young daughters. The house had 6 rooms.
Number 166The property was uninhabited in 1841. In 1851 James Etherington, age 35, beerhouse keeper born Isleworth, headed a household of 7: his wife Jane, 35, born Ketley Shropshire and daughters Ann, Ellen, Mary and son James aged 14, 6, 5 and 1 respectively. An unnamed male lodger, age 20, occupation and birthplace not known, completed the household. The Post Office directory for 1851 also records James Etherington as a beer retailer in New Brentford, but the name of his beer house is not given. However later records show it was called the Grand Junction Arms.
The property was uninhabited again in 1861.
John Wall Smith had taken over the beer house by early 1863 and remained here for around three tumultuous years before departing. The 1866 Post Office directory includes Thomas Leddin, beer retailer, High Street New Brentford and in the 1871 census Thomas Ledden, labourer in gardens, born Limerick, Ireland, age 29, lived here with his wife Catharine, 26, born Brentford, son John age 4 and two Irish lodgers from Cork, both single and labourers in gardens: William Fox, 35, and William Hannah, 29. The property was described as a beer house but no name was recorded in the census.
George Jennings ran the beerhouse from 1881 – 1901, listed variously as waterman and beer retailer.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records name the owner as Charrington & Co Ltd, Anchor Brewery, Mile End and note the property was last sold on 8 May 1905 for £1300. The gross value of no. 166 was assessed as £1875 (cf £315 for no. 165).
The 1911 census shows George Jennings, widower, retired waterman, aged 69 remained at no. 166, boarding in a household headed by James H Sharratt, publican born Staffordshire. His wife Frances and son Albert Arthur completed the household.
John Compton was recorded at this address in street directories from 1920 to 1940. 1939 Register lists three people at this address:
Number 167A bakery run by Charles Simmons or Simmonds 1839 – 1861 then Mountford Archer (born Kentish Town London) from 1871 – 1920.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records describe the basement cellar as ‘filled with ovens as bakehouse, the ovens running under pathway but of such a nature that it is improbable that local authorities will renew licence if becomes empty.’
The 1911 census shows Mountford Archer was 73. His wife, son (bakers roundsman) and grandson lived in the 6 roomed house. Mountford and his wife Elizabeth had been married 50 years.
By 1928 no. 167 was a fried fish shop run by Wilfrid Arthur Wooley who remained there until 1940.
Number 168More tailors: Thomas T Sanders 1861; William H Turner (possibly a relative of the John F Turner at number 163?) is listed as a tailor from 1871 – 1891, succeeded by Mrs Harriet Turner in 1901.
Bernard Wurtzel, hairdresser worked here from 1913 – 1940 and is recorded as the occupier in the 1909/10 Valuation Records. Mrs Alexandra Wall owned numbers 167 and 168 at this time.
The 1911 census shows Bernard Wurtzel was German born, 39 and unmarried. He shared the 7-roomed house with a widowed housekeeper, Rosa Brown and three of her children. Bernard was still at this address in 1952, along with James Healy and Laura Martin (electoral register).Top
Number 169Occupancy can be traced back to 1871, when no. 169 was occupied by Old Brentford born retired lighterman and his wife Lydia, plus a nephew James Davis, 15, born Luton. By 1881 John Clark had died and his widow remained at no. 169, which was described as a ‘private house’. Mary Boswell, a married younger sister to Lydia, had moved in and they had a female servant, Ellen Tolfree, to help them.
1890 directory: 'George William Freeman, sewing machine depot, 169 High Street'. The 1891 census shows Mary Ann Nash, a widowed dressmaker, at 169. A widowed daughter Mary Ann M Gandy, age 31 (her mother was aged 47), also a dressmaker and her three daughters completed the household.
In 1901 Mary Ann Nash and Mary A M Gandy remained at 169 with one granddaughter and John Colsell, lighterman, was boarding with the family.
In the 1909/10 Valuation, no. 169 was described on 4 Nov 1913 as a ‘house and yard’, an ‘old house built of brick and slate’ containing, two attics, 2 rooms on the first floor and 2 rooms on the ground floor. There were 2 rooms in the half basement and a WC and timber coal shed in the yard. No. 169 was adjacent to no. 3 Brent Cottages (off Durham Wharf) and had a 16’ frontage to the High Street. The occupant was M.A. Nash, the owner G Thompson and John James Clark, who also owned 171/2 High Street and Durham Wharf.
The 1911 census shows no. 169 had 8 rooms, occupied by Mary Ann Nash (67) and her married daughter Lilian Grace Hill, and the Hill family: Henry Albert Hill, father and five children. John Colsell, the boarder living with the family in 1901, was still living with the family. In 1901 he was unmarried, in 1911 he was shown as married 44 years. Perhaps it did not work out.
In a 1920/1 trade directory Henry Albert Hill is recorded at 169, then in 1933 & 1940 Mrs Hill; 1952: Grace and Lilian Hill (electoral register).Top
Number 170At the time of the Valuation Records compilation, no. 170 was described as a ‘cottage – about to be demolished’ owned by Stephen T Trinder (now deceased), his executrix was Mrs Margaret Jane Gordon of Willow House, Ealing Green. It is described as being ‘a corner site, any buildings thereon now being disused, and only fit for carting away. The land is at present used in conjunction with hoarding surrounding’. It had a frontage of 30’ to the High Street. The most recent sale of the property was on 20 Feb 1920, for £150.
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link (the navigation area to the left).
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
159 ca 1904 (A72) and (K115); ca 1908 (C1)
Roads OffDurham Wharf between numbers 170 and 171
Published 2006; last updated June 2017