Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford

THE EIGHT BELLS

Vic Rosewarne has researched many beerhouses and licensed houses in Brentford from their opening to closure (or the current day for survivors) making extensive use of contemporary newspaper accounts and licensing records to paint some vivid histories. He has also derived some useful lists of licence transfers and names of licensed victuallers and beersellers. See Vic's pub hub for access to his research.

Here he tackles a beerhouse - the Eight Bells -which was in an area thick with places to have a beer or something stronger. However it seems to have been one of the more respectable establishments...

A summary of licensees is at Appendix 1, but read on to get the full history.

380 HIGH STREET, OLD BRENTFORD

In the 1820s there was a second "Gin Craze"; to counter this rise of gin drinking the government adopted two policies. The first was to abolish the excise duty on beer and cider, making it a lot cheaper for the consumer. Also, by the Licensing Act of 1830, it encouraged the drinking of beer or cider by allowing any rate payer to open his or her house for the sale of beer and or cider only, by payment of a two guinea fee to the Customs and Excise each year; but not wine and spirits. This led to a massive expansion of the licensing trade, within ten years the number of licensed houses in England had doubled. A number of the new "Beer House" opened in Brentford, during the 1830s, but as the records for this period are very limited, and beer houses are only rarely mentioned in records at that time, it is difficult, if not impossible, to say when a beerhouse was first opened.

John Munday - by 1836 to mid/late 1839.

The earliest reference to the this house is from the Ealing Rate Book. dated 26 May 1836, (Ref. - Acc. 2208 / E / 22 ), which is the first rate book to completely list the Brentford properties since 1830, hence the house may have opened earlier. The entry reads : --

Page 45, ref. no. 798, - occupier - John Munday, Beer House, and the rateable value was 10.

The house was originally owned by John Hazard, who ran the Royal Brewery, in Old Brentford, which was owned by Sir Felix Booth. It was later part of the Royal Brewery's portfolio of properties. The Brewery were to own the house until its closure in 1885, so it is probable that the house was always a "Tied House".

********

Mary Munday by October 1839 to early 1842

John Munday had either died or left the house by late 1839, as the Rate Book for October that year lists Mary Munday as the landlady. Presumably John Munday was either her husband or son, and in the vacancy created, Mary Munday had taken over the business. The house was also operating as a lodging as the 1841 record shows.

1841 Census - High Street, Old Brentford

Mary Munday, aged 75 , Shop Kr.
Mary Dash, 14, Female Servant
Sarah Armitage, 25; Richard Durkin, Durban or similar, 35; David Painter, 55?; Thomas Taylor, 25; William Hickey? 60: all labourers
William Taylor, 40 (born Middlesex); William Davis, 25; Elizabeth Hayate or Hayto? 25: all labourers
John Moore, labourer, 50; Maria Sanders 35

In addition to her servant Mary Munday had ten others living here and the variety of surnames suggests this may have been a lodging house. All but one of the occupants were labourers and born outside Middlesex. Division of the residents into groups, may represent their occupying different floors.
This census was taken in June and the seven men and three women may have come into Brentford to work in the market gardens.

(Ref. - HO 107 / 689 /7, fo. 7, p. 7)

Top

Mary Munday had left by April 1842 as the Ealing Rate Book for that year shows there had been a transfer of the licence, by that date : -

Page 86, no. 517 - Richd. Hughes (was written over below) - Occr. x(My. Munday)x, owner Hazard & Co., House & Yd.

Rate Book 29 April 1842 - (Ref. Acc. 2208 / E / 29)

********

Richard Hughes - by April 1842 to early 1843.

The following year, the Ealing Rate Book shows another transfer, the name of Richard Hughes is crossed out and Robert Kinner, written over.

No. 541 - Robert Kinner, owner Hazard & Co., Beer House and Yard

Rate Book 10 June 1842 - (Ref. Acc. 2208 / E / 31)

Robert Kinner - by June 1843 to late 1868.

Robert Kinner took over an area crowded with licensed houses, there were two fully licensed houses almost adjacent: the Fox and Hounds was two doors to the east and the Hand and Flower two doors to the west. In the immediate neighbourhood there were 10 public houses, from the Prince of Wales (later numbered) 346 to the Lamb at 409. Nearly one in six of the properties were pubs. This was similar to the pubs on the south side of New Brentford, where there were 10 houses out of less than 69 properties. Brentford did not lack Pubs in the 1850s and 60s !

********

Robert Kinner gave his occupation as "Wheelwright & Beer Retailer," it was quite common for licensees to run a business as well as a licensed house. John Thick landlord of the One Tun, in the High Street, also ran a similar business, and many other had business on the side. Presumably his wife would be mainly running the licensed part of the business.

Robert Kinner married Elizabeth Thomas on the 23 February 1839, at Christ Church, City of London, he gave his occupation as Wheelwright, son of Robert Kinner, Barge Master, he signed the marriage register, Elizabeth put her mark. In the 1841 census the couple were living in Ealing Road, Brentford, Robert again giving his occupation as Wheelwright. In the next 16 years there were four children born, John, 1841; Robert 1844, Sarah 1846 (who died the same year), and James Philip, 1851 and all were baptised at St. George's, Old Brentford.

********

In the 1851 census Robert Kinner is listed as "Wheelwright & Beer Retailer" at the property known as the Eight Bells, presumably his wife running the house.

1851 Census - (Eight Bells) Beerhouse, (380) High Street, Old Brentford

Robert Kinner, Head, Married, aged 44, Wheelwright & Beer Retailer, born Oxon., Henley
Elizabeth Kinner, Wife, Married, aged 40, born Middlesex, Ealing
John Kinner, Son, 9, Scholar, born Middlesex, Brentford
Robert Kinner, Son, 7, Scholar, born Middlesex, Brentford
James Kinner, Son, 2m., born Middlesex, Brentford

(Ref. - HO 107 / 1699, fo. 225v p. 7 sch. 30 )

Top

The first reference to the name of the house is in the Ealing Rate Book for February 1848, "Robt. Kinner - owner Hazard, Beer House & premises - "Eight Bells."

Robert Kinner is listed the Post Office Directory of 1852, as a beer retailer and in Mason's Directory of 1853, Robert Kinner is recorded as landlord of the Eight Bells, Brentford High Street.

1861 Census - Beerhouse, 181 High Street, Old Brentford

Robert Kinner, Head, Mar., 54, Master Wheelwright & Beer Retailer, born Oxford, Henley
Elizabeth Kinner, Wife, Mar., 50, born Middx., Ealing
John Kinner, Son, Unm., 19, Assistant Wheelwright, Middx., Brentford
Robert Kinner, Son, Unm., 17, Assistant Wheelwright, Middx., Brentford
James P. Kinner, Son, 10, Scholar, Middx., Brentford

(RG 9 / 778 - fo. 119v, p. 20, sch. 104)

********

The house appears to have been well run in the 1860s as there are no reports of misdemeanours at the house in the local newspapers, unlike many other beer houses in Brentford. Robert Kinner continued at the Eight Bells until mid 1868, when the house was transferred on to James Metcalf.

At this time the transfers of the beer house certificates (beerhouses had certificates not licences) were not recorded in newspaper reports; these did not appear until after 1870. Even then they were not always printed and sometimes the newspapers reported a number of beerhouses were transferred, with no details.

Robert Kinner died in 1871 and was buried 5 March 1871, Ealing & Old Brentford Cemetery. In the 1871 Census, Elizabeth Kinner was living at 8 Half Acre, Old Brentford, with her youngest son James Philip, giving her occupation as "Wheelwright". Elizabeth died six years later, aged 66, and was buried 6 February 1877, alongside her husband.

********

After the long tenure of Robert Kinner, for the next nine years there were nine landlords, one each year.

James Metcalfe early 1868 to early 1870

James Metcalfe had taken over by mid 1868, there are no other details of his tenancy. He had gone by early 1870 as a Thomas Smith is recorded as the landlord in a report of the 1870 Annual Licensing Sessions in March.

********

Thomas Smith - by March 1870 to October 1870

Thomas Smith had taken over the house about the time when the Licensing Magistrates had taken control of beerhouses, in August 1869. In March 1870 the magistrates closed four of the worst houses in Brentford, but not the Eight Bells which was granted its licence at these sessions, though with a warning from the Chairman of the magistrates, Mr. F. H. N. Glossop.

BEERHOUSES

This having completed the list of adjourned Alehouse licenses, the Bench proceeded to dispose of the beer-houses.

The Chairman repeated his remarks as to the conduct of beer-houses in the division. He said he did not wish to prejudice the same, but it was the wish of the magistrates to raise up the beer sellers to the same standard of the public houses in the division. It was very remarkable that while there had only been 8 convictions against public houses, there had been 27 against beer retailers, though the number of houses were about equal, clearly showing that beer-shop keepers did not conduct their houses so satisfactorily as the licensed victuallers. In looking through the list he found several of the applicants were disqualified by the Act of Parliament, and others not fit and proper persons. They should therefore take that opportunity of weeding out some of the worst.

Thomas Smith, Eight Bells, Old Brentford - Granted

(Middlesex Chronicle and West Middlesex Herald - March 12 1870)

********

The house was transferred on in October 1870, as Thomas Smith was licensee in March 1870, presumable the following transfer was from Thomas Smith to Richard Smith, the landlord listed in the 1871 census.

Brentford Petty Sessions 1 October - The following beerhouse certificates were granted, by way of transfers : --- Mr. Smith, Eight Bells, Old Brentford.

(Morning Advertiser 3 October 1870)

When the report is written this way, it names the incoming tenant.

[Technically Beer Houses had a certificate, but it is almost invariably referred to as a licence.]

Top

Richard Smith - October 1870 - late 1871

Richard Smith is recorded in the 1871 census at the house - Eight Bells, High Street, Old Brentford

Richard Smith, Head, Mar., 22, Publican, Brentford, Middx.
Elizth. Smith, Wife, Mar., 28, Bessenhall, Suffolk (? Benhall)
Edward Smith, Brother, Unm., 21, Labourer, Brentford, Middx.
With 1 lodger

(RG 10 / 1319, fo. 89, p. 37, sch. 200)

Later that year the house was then transferred on, this time to John Kinner, the son of the former licensee, Robert Kinner. There is no record of this transfer in newspaper reports.

********

John Kinner - c. late 1871 - March 1872

He was in the house by October or November as he is recorded as the landlord in the Kelly's 1872 Trade Directory.

John Kinner had married in 1865 - John Kinner, full age, Bachelor, Wheelwright, of New Brentford, son of Robert Kinner, Wheelwright, married 21 September 1865 at St. Lawrence, New Brentford, Emma Cooper, full age, spinster, of New Brentford, daughter of Charles Cooper, Wheelwright

It was to be a brief tenancy as this case was reported only a few months after he had taken over the house.

Brentford Petty Sessions, Saturday, February 3rd

********

ASSAULTING A WIFE

John Kinner was charged with assaulting his wife, at Old Brentford

Mr. Philp appeared for the defence.

Complainant said I live at the Eight Bells, Old Brentford. I was having a few words with my husband on Thursday night about seven o'clock and he struck me giving me a black eye. He had been drinking. It was the first time he struck me.

The Chairman said prisoner had a very narrow escape of being sent to prison without the option of a fine. His wife had pleaded hard for him which they were not surprised at, and he would be fined 40s. or one months imprisonment, and be bound over to keep the peace for six months, himself in the sum of 40, and one surety of 20.

(Middlesex Chronicle - 10 February 1872)

Top

John Kinner having committed such a serious assault, was most likely forced to leave the house. The house was tied to the Royal Brewery and they would not like their tenants acting as he had done.

The licence was transferred at the Annual Licensing Sessions a month later. It shows that after 1869 licensees of beerhouses had to very careful how they conducted their houses. In the 1860s, John Wall Smith, landlord of the Grand Junction Arms, New Brentford, had assaulted his mother in law, and was sentenced to two months' imprisonment, but remained as the landlord, after his return from prison.

BRENTFORD - ANNUAL LICENSED MEETING, 5 March 1873

The Eight Bells was transferred from John Kinner to Henry Band.

(Middlesex Chronicle - March 9 1872)

********

Henry Band - March 1872 - c. 1874

There was another Licensing Act in 1872 which required that beerhouses should have a rateable value of 20, eleven beerhouses in Brentford were below this value, the Eight Bells being one. The licensing magistrates used this to attempt to close a number of these houses in Brentford.

BRENTFORD - ADJOURNED ANNUAL LICENSING DAY

With reference to the beer-houses in the division, the magistrates, acting under the powers given them in the new Licensing Act, instructed Mr. E. H. Burnett, surveyor (who had valued the property at the instance of the Assessment Committee of the Union), to value a number of them, for the purpose of ascertaining whether they were of a proper standard to be licensed. He surveyed 75 out of the number, and as each occupier came up for his certificate he was required to pay 1 1s., the fee for Mr. Burnett's valuation.

On the beer-house list being taken, the Chairman said in all the cases in which the houses did not comply with the requirements of the statute as to the value of the houses, they would stand over until the adjournment day, for the parties to consider whether they kept their houses up to the proper standard.

In consequence of this determination on the part of the Bench, a considerable number of applications for renewals of certificates were ordered to stand over till Tuesday next, the day appointed for the hearing of new applications, and the disposal of the remainder of the business.

In the New Brentford division 29 houses were listed as possible closures, 11 of these in Brentford, including the Eight Bells.

Eight Bells, Old Brentford

Harry Band, of the Eight Bells, Old Brentford, was supported by Mr. Haynes. This house was objected to on account of insufficient value. The Bench after taking evidence on both sides, refused the licence.

(Middlesex Chronicle - March 15 1873)

********

An appeal was made by the houses refused, to the Middlesex Sessions which was heard in April 1873.

APPEALS UNDER THE LICENSING ACT

The appeals were heard at a meeting of the Middlesex Sessions on Saturday, 27 April. The case was decided on a minor legal point as to whether the refused houses could make up the value of their houses before the next licensing sessions in March 1874. It was argued, by the counsel for the appellants, Mr. Poland, that the wording of the Act it said that these house "may" be made up, and that this could be taken to be construed as compulsory, therefore if the licensee were to makes up the value before the next licensing sessions, the licence must be renewed.

The Chairman of the Sessions, Sir W. Bodkin, "said it was common sense to assume that the Legislature did not intend to confiscate a man's property without giving him an opportunity of conforming to a new state of things."

The appeals were then allowed, providing the Rateable value was made up by the next licensing sessions.

(The full details of the appeal are in Appendix 2)

********

LICENCE GRANTED

At the following licensing sessions in March 1873, the Brentford magistrates had to abide by the decision and grant the renewal of the licences to the houses concerned. This was no doubt to the chagrin of the Chairman of the Brentford Bench, Mr. F. H. N. Glossop, who was the most vociferous in promoting the cases in the first place, possibly ignoring warnings that he could lose the case. (This is just my reading between the lines - Vic.)

Henry Band, Eight Bells, High Street, Brentford, allowed as the house had been brought up to value.

(Middlesex Chronicle - March 14 1874)

Top

William Ansell - mid/late 1875 to February 1876

This may be the William Ansell, who was formerly licensee of the Globe, Old Brentford, then a beerhouse, from November 1870 to June 1875. Therefore he would have taken over the Eight Bells in the second half of 1875. It was a brief tenancy; it had been transferred by early the following year.

Brentford Petty Sessions 5 Feb. - The following beerhouse certificate was transferred :-- Eight Bells, Old Brentford, William Ansell to John Taylor.

(Morning Advertiser 7 February 1876)

John Taylor - February 1876 to mid 1876

This was another brief tenancy as the Church Rate Book for St. George, Old Brentford, dated 13 July1876, has the name of Henry Band crossed out, and that of John Taylor written in. Which suggests a transfer by that time. It also seems to indicate that William Ansell's tenure was very brief.

********

Thomas Hailes - late 1876 to early 1877

Only recorded in Kelly's 1877 Directory at the house.

********

Alexander Pope - c. early 1877 to August 1877

Brentford Petty Sessions, 4 August : Transfer - Eight Bells, Ealing, Alexander Pope to Joseph Gant.

(Morning Advertiser 6 August 1877, BPS 4 Aug.)

Although the transfer say Ealing, the Eight Bells was in Old Brentford, which was, since medieval times, in Ealing Parish, but by the 1870s Old Brentford was usually regarded as a separate town.

Top

Joseph Gant - August 1877 to January 1882

After four landlords in rapid succession, John Gant stayed there for over four years, the longest tenancy after Robert Kinner. Then the last incident recorded at the house, a common event, the landlord being summoned for serving beer during the prohibited hours on a Sunday.

Brentford Petty Sessions - Saturday, June 22nd.

THE LANDLORD AND HIS FRIENDS

Joseph Gant, landlord of the Eight Bells, beerhouse, was summoned for selling beer at prohibited hours, on the 11th June.

Mr. Lay defended, and pleaded not guilty.

Police sergeant Banks, 51 T, said at a quarter past twelve o'clock on the morning of the 11th instant, he was on duty in the High Street. He noticed a baguette and four horses standing outside the Eight Bells. He questioned defendant's son, who was standing near the horses, and then knocked at the door and defendant open it. On entering the house he saw three men standing in front of the bar. One was the driver of the wagonette, and the others were also residents of Brentford. On the counter were standing two pint bottles, and three glasses containing ale. Defendant said he and a party had just returned from Box Hill on an excursion. The driver had come in the house to settle for the trap, and the other two men to witness the transaction. He called defendant's attention to the beer on the counter, and he said it belonged to the men, whose names and addresses he took.

By Mr. Lay : He saw no money pass. He knew the defendant had been in the police, and retired with a pension for his services. He had never had occasion to complain of defendant before.

Mr. Lay contended that the case did not come within the Act of Parliament, as the men in the house were friends of defendant, who having been called, said he merely asked his friends to take a glass of ale on their return from Box Hill, which any landlord had a right to do.

Defendant said he gave the men the beer for assisting in unloading the van.

The Chairman said that if magistrates were to admit such a plea as a complete answer to the case they would be opening a very wide door to unlawful traffic in drink. However, in this case, the Bench knew the defendant to be of good character from his long association with the police force, and during the time he had kept a public house no complainant had been made against him. The Bench were willing to strain a point in his favour, and would dismiss the summons, but the defendant must be more careful in future.

Mr. Lay (to defendant) : You had better give notice to the Inspector when your are going to have your mother-in-law down.

The Chairman added that the police were had acted perfectly right in bringing the case forward.

John Woods, John Willis and John Haywood were summoned for being in the house, but the informations were dismissed without further enquiry.

(Middlesex Chronicle and Buckinghamshire Advertiser - 29 June 1878)

[This was one of the very few cases where the licensee was acquitted of this charge at the Brentford Petty Sessions !]

********

1881 Census - RG 11 / 1348, fo. 80, p. 5, sch 18

(Eight Bells - Beer House), 380 High Street, Old Brentford

Joseph Gant Head Mar. 54 Beer House Keeper Norfolk
Fanny Gant Wife Mar. 55 Norfolk
Willm.Gant Son S 20 Clerk Hounslow
George A. Gant Son S 17 Green Grocer Hounslow
Thomas Gant Son S 14 Hounslow

This is the first reference to the property number, the street numbering having taken place several years earlier.

Top

THE LAST DAYS

In the final three years of as a public house, there were seven landlords in rapid succession.

Brentford Petty Sessions Saturday 7 January - Transfer - Eight Bells, Brentford, Joseph Gaunt (Gant) to Richard Lewis.

(Morning Advertiser 9 January 1882)

Richard Lewis - January 1882 to April 1882

Richard Lewis was recorded at the house in the printed list of licensees made at the Licensing Sessions in March 1882.

Brentford Petty Sessions Saturday 8 April - Transfer - Eight Bells, High Street, Brentford, Richard Lewis to John Betteridge.

(Morning Advertiser 10 April 1882)

********

John Betteridge - April 1882 to August 1882

Brentford Petty Sessions Saturday 5 Aug. - Transfer - Eight Bells, Old Brentford, John Betteridge to William Fishlock.

(Morning Advertiser 7 August 1882)

********

In 1883 five licensees are recorded at the Eight Bells, possibly a record for any licensed house in Brentford.

William Fishlock - August 1882 to April 1883

Brentford Petty Sessions Saturday, 7 April.- Transfer - Eight Bells, Old Brentford, William Fishlock to Henry Chatter.

(Morning Advertiser 9 April 1883)

* * * * * * * *

Henry Chater - April 1883 to August 1883

Brentford Petty Sessions 4 August - Transfer - Eight Bells; Henry Chater to Richard Gostling.

(Middlesex Chronicle 11 August 1883)

********

Richard Gostling - August 1883 to late 1883

Robert Goulding is listed in the 1883 Rate Book

[No record for the transfer to Michael Goulding was found.]

********

Michael Goulding - late 1883 to November 1883

Brentford Petty Sessions November 3rd - The Eight Bells, beerhouse, Brentford, Michael Goulding to Samuel Wakeling

(Middlesex Chronicle 10 November 1883)

********

Samuel Wakeling - late 1883 to the closure c. late 1885

Samuel Wakeling is recorded in the Church Rate records, dated 5 February 1885, so he had been landlord for a year and a quarter. Samuel Wakeling was most likely the last landlord of the Eight Bells, there is no other reference to any further licensees at the house. Already moves had been made to close the house.

Top

THE END OF THE EIGHT BELLS

The Brentford Licensing Magistrates would only granted new public house licences in areas that were being developed at the time, but they also required that an existing house or houses were surrendered in a district which was over-supplied with licensed premises. As Brentford was the most over-supplied town in west Middlesex, many of the houses there were transferred out from this time onwards. The trend had been set by the transfer of the Two Black Boys, High Street, New Brentford to the Griffin on the corner of the Brook and Braemar Roads, which opened around January 1884.

Obviously motivated by this, at the Licensing Sessions in March of 1884 there was a proposal to transfer the licence of the Eight Bells to a new house to be built in Ealing, the new site was just over the parish boundary with Ealing, on the corner of the Carlyle and Ealing Roads.

ANNUAL LICENSING DAY 1884

FRESH APPLICATION - Eight Bells, High Street, Old Brentford

Samuel Wakeling, of the Eight Bells, High Street, Old Brentford, applied for an order sanctioning the provisional removal of the licence of the Eight Bells, Brentford, aforesaid, from such licensed premises to certain other premises about to be constructed, for the purpose of being used as a house for the sale of beer, to be consumed on or off the premises, situated at the corner of Carlyle and Ealing Roads, and to be called or known by the name of the Ealing Park Tavern.

The application was refused.

(Middlesex Chronicle 8 March 1884)

The transfer most likely failed as only a beerhouse would be surrendered.

********

A SECOND ATTEMPT

The application was made again the following year, this time the application was made by Mr. Ballard, of the Royal Brewery, Brentford. He proposed to move the Cannon, a fully licensed house, to the new site, and in addition close the Eight Bells. At this time the Brentford Licensing Magistrates would only grant new applications if there was a surrender of a pre-existing full licence, effectively moving a house from a congested district to a new developed one. This had already been done in the case of the Griffin, which opened in early 1884, it was granted a licence on condition that the Two Black Boys in the High Street was closed. The removal of licensed houses in congested areas, of which Brentford High Street was one of the most congested in the then County of Middlesex, to newly developed areas, continued to 1936, in all 24 public houses were moved from the High Street in this way.

********

ANNUAL LICENSING SESSIONS - 1 March 1885

NEW APPLICATIONS - Ealing Park Tavern from Cannon, High Street, Brentford

Mr. Alfred Foord applied for an order sanctioning the provisional removal of the licence of the Cannon, public house, High Street, Old Brentford, to certain new premises about to be constructed for the purpose of being used as a house for the sale of intoxicating liquor, and situated at the corner of Carlisle and Ealing Roads, and to be called the Ealing Park Tavern.

Mr. T. Woodbridge supported the application, and said upon the laying out of the estate on which these premises were situated, it was determined that no public house should be allowed to be built, except on this particular site. The estate consisted of 77 acres.

Mr. Hogarth, having looked at the plans of the proposed building, said the Lodge room was to be on the first floor.

The Chairman : And further than this there are several bedroom doors to pass so that those who have spent a convivial meeting at the Lodge room might make a mistake as they left.

Mr. Woodbridge said the object of his client (Mr. Ballard) was to build a house worthy of the neighbourhood, and any suggestions of the magistrates should have the utmost consideration. Further than this he was willing to give up the licence of the Eight Bells, in the High Street, in favour of this house. He put in a memorial in favour of the licence being transferred signed by clergymen, church wardens, and every member of the Brentford Local Board, &c., as to the number of 188.

Mr. Hogarth said the question was whether the Lodge room could not be altered, and taken away from the bedrooms. The occupants of the latter would not care to be woken up at any hours of the night by the occupants of the Lodge room singing that they were jolly good fellows, and would not go home to morning.

Mr. Woodbridge said he believed arrangements could be made for placing the Lodge room downstairs.

The Chairman said the Bench had received a petition against the transfer, but were in favour of doing away with the two licences in the High Street, where they were not required; and giving the licence to this building, where undoubtedly it was required. The application, however, would stand over, in order that amended plans might be put in.

(Middlesex Chronicle 7 March 1885)

********

ADJOURNED LICENSING SESSIONS 1885

The Cannon, High Street, Brentford & The Ealing Park Tavern

Mr. T. Woodbridge, instructed by Mr. Ballard, brewer, Brentford, renewed an application for a full licence to be transferred from the Cannon, High Street public house, High Street, Brentford, to premises at the corner of Carlyle Road, Ealing Park Estate, to be called the Ealing Park Tavern. Mr. Ballard also proposed to give up the licence of the Eight Bells beerhouse, Brentford.

Mr. Hogarth had previously objected to the plans on account of the lodge room being upstairs.

Mr. Lacey, surveyor, Brentford, now submitted amended plans, which the Chairman said did him great credit, and the application was granted.

(Buckinghamshire Advertiser & Middlesex Chronicle 21 March 1885)

********

THE EALING PARK TAVERN LICENCE GRANTED

The granting of a licence to the new house at Ealing was confirmed at the meeting of the Middlesex County Licensing Committee in April that year. Soon after the Eight Bells would have been closed, and on the completion of the Ealing Park Tavern, the Cannon would have been closed and the licence then transferred to the new house.

[Read more about the closure of the Two Black Boys and its transfer to the new Griffin on the corner of Braemar and Brook Roads.]

********

Top

APPENDIX 1 - LICENSEES OF THE EIGHT BELLS

John Munday . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . by 1836 to c. 1838/9
Mary Munday. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . by 1839 to early 1843
Richard Hughes . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . early 1843 to late 1843
Robert Kinner. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . by November 1843 to late. 1868
James Metcalfe . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . late 1868 to early 1870
Thomas Smith . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . By March 1869 to October 1870
Richard Smith . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . October 1870 to late 1871
John Kinner . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . late 1871 to March 1872
Henry Band . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 1872 to c. 1874
William Ansell. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . mid/late 1875 to February 1876
John Taylor. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . February 1876 to mid/late 1876
Thomas Hailes. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . late 1876 to early 1877
Alexander Pope . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . early 1877 to August 1877
Joseph Gant. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 1877 to January 1882
Richard Lewis. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . January 1882 to April 1882
John Betteridge. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . April 1882 to August 1882
William Fishlock. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 1882 to April 1883
Henry Chatter. .. . . . . . . . .. . . . . . . April 1883 to August 1883
Richard Gostling. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 1883 to late 1883
Michael Goulding. . . . . . . . . . . . . . late 1883 to November 1883
Samuel Wakeling. . . . . . . . . . . . . . November 1883 mid to late 1885

**********

Top

APPENDIX 2

APPEALS UNDER THE LICENSING ACT

At the Middlesex Sessions on Saturday, before Sir W. H. Bodkin, there were eleven appeals by beerhouse keepers against the refusal of the Brentford Divisional Justices to renew their licences, and the same point in law was raised in each case, viz., whether, under section 46 of the new Licensing Act, the justices were bound to give a year for the improvements in the value of old beerhouses necessary to meet the changes from "rent," "value," or "rated on a rent or annual value to," annual value, as defined by section 47. The following were the appellants : --

Mr. H. Band, Eight Bells, Old Brentford,

The respondents were Messrs. Glossop, Montgomery, Hogarth, Elvey, Donnithorne, and Ashton, justices.

Mr. Poland and Mr. Mr. Besley appeared for the appellants; Mr. Montague Williams for the respondents.

The Brentford Bench employed a surveyor, under the new Licensing Act, at the expense of the appellants, and the surveyor reported their houses to be less than the qualification value. The appellants called other surveyors who gave it as their opinion that the house were of sufficient value. The justices took the views of their of their own surveyor and refused to renew all these houses. They were asked to renew them with the condition endorsed that the premises should be brought up to the value before the next annual licensing meeting, but they held that it was their discretion to endorse or not, and they could not accede to the applications.

Mr. Poland now argued on the words of the section that the justices had no discretion. The substance of the section is in two paragraphs, The first paragraph says no licence to old beerhouses shall be granted in respect of premises which are not in the opinion of the licensing magistrates of the required annual value, and the second paragraph is as follows : --

"If at the first general annual licensing meeting, after the passing of the Act 1872, the licensing justices are of opinion that any premises which are licensed at the passing of the Act are not of such annual value, they may, notwithstanding, renew such licence, upon the condition, to be expressed in the licence, that the holder thereof before the next general annual licensing meeting improves the premises so as to make them of sufficient annual value, and if the holder fail to comply with such condition the licence shall not be renewed at the next general annual licensing meeting."

Although the word used is was "may" it followed words which empowered the justices to endorse, and must be construed as directory and compulsory, in accordance with the considered judgement of the Court of Common Pleas in "Macdougall v. Oatterson," 11 Common Bench Reports, where the same point was decided. Mr. Poland cited also the "Queen v. Tithe Commissioners, 15 Queen's Bench Reports, and "Mann v. the Justices of Exeter," 42 Law Journald Reports, and read a passage from the judgement of Mr. Justice Licensing Act. The learned counsel contended that, if not compulsory, Parliament intended that the justices should act.

Sir W. Bodkin said it was common sense to assume that the Legislature did not intend to confiscate a man's property without giving him an opportunity of conforming to a new state of things.

The appeals were all allowed, with the condition inserted in the licence.

Mr. Poland said that in some of the cases the value was sufficient, and the appellants wished to guard against it being supposed that, because the condition was inserted, any improvement was necessary.

Sir W. Bodkin : Of course, if they are of sufficient value, nothing need be done to improve them.

No order for costs against the magistrates was asked for, and the appellants, as is usual in such cases, bear their own costs.

(Windsor and Eton Express 3 May 1873)

* * * * * * * *

AFTER NOTE

The house then became a fishmongers - the 1888 Brentford Directory has the following entry for 380 High Street : - "H. Emmerson, Fishmonger." Read more about the later life of no. 380 and its neighbours.

********

Top

Page published November 2019