Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

View east of St George's Court late 1960s

Black & white photo, view of a rectangular block of flats

Quentin Pickard has provided this 1960s photo showing the area to the east of St George's Court, near the site of Rattenbury's. Following the demolition of a string of old shops in this part of Brentford known as 'High Ground', Albany Parade flats were erected.

The old property on the left is no. 294, next door is the single storey extension to 295 High Street (see a cheerier view from similar point looking west around 60 years earlier).

The road to the left from which a Rover 3 litre car is emerging was originally called St George's Court, current maps show it as Wilkes Road.

Albany Parade flats were built at an angle to High Street in the 1960s. In the distance the gasometer, multi-chimneyed old Red Lion at 318 High Street, St George's church tower and the water tower of the waterworks are visible.

History of 290-296 High Street and 297-318 High Street and previous residents.

Published December 2009