Thanks to Howard Webb who provided this image. He adds 'it was published by Wakefields and is postmarked July 13 1906'. Wakefields were photographers with premises at 137 High Street in the early 1900s. Howard notes the owners standing in the doorways of their shops.
The block occupying the left half of this image was 'old' when the 1909/10 Valuation took place and can be picked out in the tithe return map. It lies to the east of Albany Place (which is visible behind the awning) and comprised numbers 290 to 294.
The occupants at the time this photo was taken were from left to right:
- 290: Edwin Gregory, baker (recorded here in 1901 & 1913 trade directories)
- 291: William Borer, clothier (recorded here in 1901 & 1913); his name is visible under the window in the high resolution scan Howard kindly provided; in 1901 Henry G Mullens, detective metropolitan police, also lived here
- 292: Ralph Randall, stationer (1907 trade directory); sign for 'rubber stamps' visble and an advert for Carter Paterson in the window
- 293: Walter Charles Buck, confectioner (1907 trade directory); the name 'W C Buck' is above the shop window; the prominent sign above says 'H.(or M.?) Buck's 'Mizpah' Tea & Refreshment Rooms for Cyclists'; adverts in the window for Cadburys' and Fry's chocolate
- 294: George Frederick Edmett, draper in 1901 and 1913; the window display includes a range of straw boaters
The single storey property, no. 295 gave access to the doctor's surgery (which was run by Henry Bott MRCS LRCP Lond, surgeon & medical officer to Brentford Urban District Council at the time). No. 295 had a second entrance which can be seen amidst the ivy covering the house front. Note the window boxes and neatly clipped shrubs in the front garden.
More details of these properties or a view of the same properties in 1945/6. A second postcard is available showing the same properties from a vantage point nearer no. 290.