Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Brentford High Street, numbers 120 - 126

Janet McNamara sent this photo showing numbers 120 to 126. She adds 'The 'ghost' car is coming out of Boars Head Yard (between numbers 126 and 127 High Street) so it's after the front of the Magpie and Crown (no. 128) was moved back off the High Street and what is now only a footpath was once an access road'.

The photographer was standing in the Market Place. Dating the photo was helped by Pauline Stanhope (nee Young) when she sent a photo of this area dated 1951. This shows prominent signage for the Old Vaults, 1647. It seems likely this dates from 1947, so would put the photo below, which lacks this advertising, at some date before then. Trade directory entries below confirm a 1940s date fits.

The properties:

  • 120: probably A V Box & Co, oil & color men, italian warehousemen, builders merchants, salt & soda, household & paint brushes & wine, spirit & beer merchants (1920/21 directory); the shop window includes a sign for '(Ful)ler's Beers'
  • 121: a solicitors by 1928 and until at least 1940
  • 122: E. A. Gammage, 'newsagent, stationer, tobacconist & confectioner' according to signage; adverts for 'Craven A', 'Turf', 'Aspro', 'Chicks Own' and a 'Black Cat' enamel sign visible; ancestry website includes phone directory entries for E A Gammage at this address in 1949 and 1950
  • 123: 'Douglas Organisation'; London Gazette Archives has a note of the Haig Douglas Organisation, Entertainment Organiser at 123, High Street, Brentford in 1948
  • 124: John Lawson & Co., tailors (at this address in trade directories for 1913 through to 1940)
  • 125 & 126: Cole's Furnishing Stores Ltd: 'complete house furnishers etc' (at this address in 1940)
The sign for McIlroys (at 129/130 High Street) is visible on the wall of no. 127 High Street.

Quiet High Street view

More about this area of the High Street and links to other photos.

You can see the original photos, and many others of Brentford, by visiting Chiswick Library (please check opening hours).

Published September 2012; updated January 2016