BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 10 -> Next Section | Previous Section
Numbers 115 - 126 High Street, New BrentfordThis section of the south side of the High Street runs from Plough Yard to Boars Head Yard and is opposite the Market Place and Town Hall. It includes the Magpie & Stump PH, a wine & spirits merchant running for at least 100 years (maybe over 300 years) and other long standing businesses.
In the 1950s this area was rebuilt as County Parade: Cyril Smith remembers moving in in early 1954; the electoral register for 1952 has no names recorded in this area. The rebuild resulted in some changes in numbering, for example the Dew Drop Inn was originally at no. 120, after the rebuild it was no. 125.
Number 115In the 1844 Poor Rate this is described as a house, shop & slaughterhouse, owned by Sexton, occupied by Robert Goring. Robert Goring, butcher, is listed here in 1841. This was originally a C16 building, demolished in 1878 and rebuilt; auctioneers here from 1901 – 1940; Bakers Oven in 1997.
No. 115 was valued along with no. 116 in May 1915 (see below) and at the time was occupied by Messrs Saunders & Taylor. It had a frontage of 12’ and had 2 brick and tile stores at the rear which were let to tenants at 2s 6d a week. It was in ‘fair repair’ and had been leased for 7 years from 24/06/1909 at £48 per annum.
Number 116A chemists and druggists from 1841 - Robert Skitter 1841, Henry Wood 1851 – 1881, Edward J Wood 1891 – 1901, Henry Wood 1907, Alexander Wood 1911 – 1940.
Lorne Gifford writes ‘In the 1891 census Henry Wood had moved to The Gables, 1 Brent Road, Brentford along with his family. By the 1911 census his wife was head of the house.’ Brentford Florist in 1997.
In the 1909/10 Valuation, numbers 115 and 116 were valued together in May 1915. 116 was built of brick with weatherboarding at the back. The property comprised:
The basement contained a 2 floor store and two brick and tile stores.
‘Old premises but very good inside repair. Rent £68 net. Frontage 21’ 8”’
116 had been leased for 7 years from 24/06/1909 and was owned, along with 115, by Edward James Wood of 68 Devonshire Road, Palmers Green and Alexander Wood, who lived at 116.
In the 1928 and 1933 directories A.P. Ledsham, optician, was also based at no. 116. A P Ledsham, Esq., M.P.S., F.S.M.C., Chemist, 116 High Street, Brentford was President of the Brentford Chamber of Commerce in 1933-4 (http://www.brentfordchamber.org/history.php)
No. 116 was ‘Brentford Florist’ in 1997.Top
Number 117In the 1844 Poor Rate this property is listed as a house and shop owned by 'Hall', occupied by Williams. The 1841 census shows Alfred Williams heading a household which included 4 assistants and a female servant. He was a draper and a drapery business operated here for over a century. In 1851 Alfred employed 7 men. He was succeeded by Henry Williams, presumably his son, who appears in 1861 with 5 assistants and a servant. The business had changed hands by 1871 and Alfred Wright is recorded in the census with 5 boarding assistants and 2 female servants. Read more about Alfred Wright
In 1881 Elizabeth C Wapling headed the business, giving her occupation as 'cashier draper'. She had 6 assistant drapers/milliners living with her.
By 1889 Nathaniel Anderson Moncrieff, draper, was recorded at this address and he remained in business at this address in 1891 & 1901.
The 1909/10 Valuation records the occupier as Mrs A E Moncrieff, the owner as James William Harrison of 64 Regents Park Road, London NW. Under ‘former sales’ there is a note ‘as far as known in 1802’. There is a detailed description of the property as at 1 May 1911 and a simple plan, showing it adjacent to Bradshaws Yard, which extended 325’ back from the High Street to ‘Workhouse Dock’.
Mrs Nathaniel Anderson Moncrieff, draper is listed in the 1913 trade directory; in 1920 to 1928 the business is Moncrieff & Co. By 1933 another change of hands, to S A Lewis, outfitter and he is also listed in 1940 as a 'clothier'.Top
Number 118Samuel Smallwood, tea dealer, is included in the 1839 Pigot directory and in the 1841 census lived at no. 118, with his family, an apprentice and two servants. He is recorded in the 1844 Poor Rate as the owner and occupier of the property, described as a ‘house, shop, shed and stable’. There is a PCC will of a Samuel Smallwood, grocer of New Brentford, dated 1848.
In the 1851 census William Pearce, grocer lived here; in 1861 William Price, tea dealer (master) who employed 4 men and 1 boy. His household of 11 included a partner, 2 shopmen and 2 servants.
In 1871 Joseph Palmer, tea dealer, lived and worked here. The property was uninhabited in the 1881 and 1891 censuses; an 1890 trade directory records Henry Martin, boot & shoe dealer worked here. Another change of business by the 1901 census: John A Offer, caterer (‘coffee house’ added in another hand) lived here.
Francis Ashby owned numbers 118 and 119 in May 1915 and the occupier was H C Duckworth. The frontage was 11’ 9” (T).
Hepsley C Duckworth & Co, solicitors had offices here in 1913 and 1920, then H F Davis, builders in 1933 and 1940. In 1978 no. 118 was the Ivy Leaf Boutique (L).Top
Number 119Bakers from 1839 – 1891. In the 1844 Poor Rate W Welch is listed as owner and occupier of a house & shop, garden & wharf, yard & shed. William Welch is listed in the 1839 Pigot directory and 1841 census as a baker. In 1851 he is a ‘retired baker’ but living with him were two Thomas Bradshaws, both bakers. William died leaving a PCC will in 1857 and Thomas Bradshaw, baker, is listed in censuses from 1861 – 1891; by 1901 Edwin F Ellis, manufacturer of sauces etc lived here.
Numbers 118 and 119 were valued together in May 1915. 119 was occupied by Isaac Robinson and owned by Francis Ashby of 9 Clarence Street, Northampton. The property was leased for 21 years from 1898 and with no. 118 was rented at £73 per annum. It was a brick and tile building with wooden side walls and consisted of
Number 120Joseph Tillyer, wine & spirit merchant (1839 & 1845 trade directories). In the 1841 census he headed a household of 11 including 4 female servants and an apprentice. He employed 5 at the time of the 1851 census and is included in Mason’s 1853 trade directory: ‘Joseph Henry Tillyer, wine merchant and oil and colourman, opposite the Town hall’. He was succeeded by Ambrose V Box.
Ambrose V Box ran oil & paint making / wine & spirit business from about 1857 until ca 1890 (Q114); vaults where liquor stored said to date from 1647 and be the cellars of an ancient coaching inn the Old Boars Head (Q114); a photo of number 120 taken in 1945 shows a plaque over the door ‘The Old Vaults 1647’.
The 1874 trade directory entry is ‘Ambrose Veal Box, white lead, color, oil & varnish works, & foreign wine & spirit & bottled beer merchant’. He is listed in the 1890 directory ‘oil and Italian warehouse’; Mrs Fanny Box headed the household in the 1891 census.
The same business continued into the C20: Harry N Blundell wine & spirit merchant, is listed as living here in 1901 and the 1913 directory names the business as ‘A V Box & Co., oil & color men, Italian warehousemen, builders’ merchants, salt, soda , household & paint brushes & wine, spirit & beer merchants. Telephone no. 273 P.O. Chiswick’.
In May 1915 the owner was Miss Elizabeth G Tillyer, 22 Addiscombe Grove, Croydon, the occupier C Blundell (trading as A V Box and Co Ltd) rent £140 p.a,, tenancy 50 years from 1892 (T).
A V Box remained in business until at least 1933; in 1940 Fuller, Smith & Turner Ltd, wine & spirit merchants are listed at no. 120 and a 1951 photo shows the Dew Drop Inn here (see link below).
Numbers 120 to 122 were F.W. Woolworths between 1955 and 1978, part of County Parade.Top
Numbers 121 & 122In the 1844 ‘Tillyer’ owned this pair of houses and shops, occupied by ‘Harris’ and ‘Walkling’. I have not found a ‘Harris’ here in the 1841 census but a James Walkling, glass dealer is listed in the 1839 Pigot directory and lived at no. 122 in 1841. He is recorded as ‘china and glass warehouse’ in the 1845 directory. In 1851 William Wheatley, china man, was living at no. 122.
In 1861, 1871 and 1874 Thomas Finch Cloud, pawnbroker, born Hammersmith ran his business from and lived at no. 122. He had married Eliza Harriet Friend in Islington Registration District in 1854, but she died later in the year (this is surmised from FreeBMD records) and he then married Elizabeth Loveless in St George Hanover Square Registration District in 1858.
In 1861 his unmarried aunt ‘Emma Jone’ (not clear if this is Emma Joan Cloud) was living with Thomas & Elizabeth. She was 4 years older than Thomas Cloud and was a servant. A 15 year old nephew, Henry Eyles, born Kensington was an assistant and completed the household.
William P Harris, tailor (master) lived at no. 121 in 1861, he had moved to no. 234 by 1871. By 1881 it is possible both properties were part of the pawnbroker’s business: no. 121 was occupied by Edward Davison, pawnbroker and jeweller, who had 4 living in servants, no. 122 was unoccupied. In an 1890 trade directory Thomas John Gammon, clothier & pawnbroker is listed at numbers 121 and 122.
Numbers 120 to 122 were F.W. Woolworths between 1955 and 1978, part of County Parade.Top
In 1891 no. 121 was occupied by Henry P Sheppard, pawnbrokers salesman, no 122 by George H Haycock, ‘general pawnbroking’.
Both properties were valued together in the 1909/10 Valuation, dated May 1915, both being owned by Miss Tillyer (as was no. 120). The properties were described as having a frontage of 28’ 6”, with a double shop on the ground floor, let as a pawnbrokers to G Haycock on a lease for 21 years from 25 March 1920.
In the 1913 trade directory George Hilton Haycock is listed at no. 121 as a clothier and at no. 122 as a pawnbroker. By 1920 no. 121 was a clothiers run by Andrew M McGaw, 122 remained a pawnbrokers run by George H Haycock.
In 1928, 1933 and 1940 directories the two properties were used as solicitors offices (121) and confectioners (122).Top
Number 123John Shambler, fishmonger lived here with his Scottish wife, Isabella, two daughters and three sons aged from 7 to 18 at the time of the 1841 census. By 1851 James Smith. hairdresser, born London, had settled here with his wife and three children under 5. He remained here in 1861 (4 children), 1871 and 1881, by which time he was 63 and had a granddaughter Kate, 6, living with him and his wife. The 1890 directory record James Smith at this address as a ‘hairdresser and town crier’ and he died a few months before the 1891 census.
Henry Stollery, brewers drayman born in Alderton, Suffolk lived at no. 123 in 1891. He had a wife and son James, aged 9, both Brentford born. His wife was Sarah Martha Smith, daughter of James Smith, the previous occupier of no. 123.
In 1901 the property was ‘uninhabited, in occupation’ which presumably means the resident was not there at the time of the census.
Charles Harding, confectioner, lived here in 1913. The following year, when the 1909/10 Valuation took place, ‘Harding’ was recorded as the occupier of no. 123 ‘a very small shop, 2 storeys with poor shop front, stock brick over with parapet wall and stone coping. The house is old but in fair repair and the back is cement faced, the front wood.’ It was let to the tenant at 12 shillings / week ‘which is fair rent taking into consideration district and accommodation.’ It had a 10’ frontage to the High Street and no garden. The owner was Mrs M E W Jarvis who also owned no. 124.
Charles Harding, confectioner remained at no. 123 for over 20 years until at least 1933; by 1940 the property was used by Cyril Humphrey, antique dealer.Top
Magpie & Stump PH (124)This building was the Magpie & Stump public house by 1839 and until at least 1901: James Palmer 1839, 1841, 1844 &1845; William R Palmer 1851; Frederick Deane 1861; James Grover 1871 & 1874; William Simmons 1881; Edward Henry Fielder 1890 & 1891; Charles Hutchinson from Swansea, Wales 1901. A change of usage took place between 1901 and 1913 as it is John Lawson & Co, tailors & outfitters from 1913 – 1940.
In July 2017 Vic Rosewarne shared his research into the pub's history from the first half of the 18th century until its closure in 1906. He examined a wide range of original documents, supplemented by newspaper articles, trade directories anf other material, in doing so recording many references to the names of tenant landlords.
When recorded for the 1909/10 Valuation Returns in January 1914, no. 124 was described as a ‘stock brick built shop with smart shop front & tiled entrance; front 2 storeys with parapet wall and stone coping, back house part cement faced & tiled.’ It had a frontage of 18’ 6”. The occupier was Pashley and owner John Richard Jarvis ‘now deceased’, his executrix was Mrs Mary Emma Woodman Jarvis of Kew Road, Richmond.
Number 124 was ‘Feminine Touch’ in 1997.Top
Numbers 125 & 126Originally two separate properties: number 125 was used as a day school in 1785, run by John White and attended by Joseph Mallard Turner, the artist (Q81, 107). Later it was a bakers run by Thomas Bradshaw in 1839 and 1841. In 1851 Henry S Barnes, confectioner, lived here: he had moved to no. 203 by the time of the 1861 census. Meanwhile, no. 125 was occupied by: John Hopkins, tailor (1861), John K Grix, seedsman (1871) and then by the Shotter family who were cowkeepers and ran a dairy and butchers here in 1881 and 1891.
By 1913, numbers 125 and 126 were used by Griffiths, clothiers, who remained here in 1920 and 1928. The 1933 trade directory does not mention 125 or 126 and by 1940 Frank Cole, house furnishers were established here.
Number 126, lying on the corner of Boars Head Yard, was occupied by the Whenman family, carriers from 1841 to 1881, possibly two generations of the family. In 1851 Mrs Sarah Whenman was living at no. 126, whereas Robert Whenman is recorded here in the other censuses. He may have been runnning the Three Pigeons Inn in 1851 as a Robert Whenman, victualler, is recorded there in the census
The 1909/10 Valuation Records (dated May 1915) covered numbers 125 and 126, also no. 2 Boars Head Yard, all three properties being owned by Lilley & Skinner Ltd. Griffiths Bros occupied 125 and 126 and had recently put in a 'good shop front'; they paid an annual rent of £80. There is reference to a 'dilapidated bakehouse', presumably dating back to when no. 125 was used by bakers / confectioners in the mid C18.
In 2002 the 'Dewdrop Inn' was at no. 125 (Q 81); (prior to the building of the County Parade it was at no. 120).
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link (the navigation area to the left).
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.County Parade: 1950s postcard
116-118 pre 1878 (C18)
117 advert NA Moncrieff 1889 St George's Parish Magazine (L); 1945/6 photo (H)
118 1945/6 photo (H)
119-122 1945/6 photo (H); photo 1951; 1970s photo (F.W.Woolworth’s) (V87)
120-126 1940s photo (L)
126 1945/6 photo (H)
Warning - download over 200k! 1838 Tithe map modern numbers 115 to 126 are tithe property refs 45 to 34
Warning - download over 150k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Roads OffBradshaws Yard between 118 and 119
Boars Head Yard between numbers 126 and 127
Published 2005; last updated January 2018