Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Half Acre, early 1900s

Howard Webb has provided this postcard image which dates from before 1905.
Sepia view of quiet road with miscellany of cottages on one side, horse and cart and few pedestrians

The view is north along Half Acre, the parish boundary between Old Brentford (right) and New Brentford (left). After St Paul's Road off to the right is a shop advertising 'Nugget'?, its end wall has adverts for a 'Cake and Apron' sale. Next door is H Wilson's grocery shop, with adverts under the window for R White's soda water and an enamel sign for Colman's starch - the company more famous for its mustard.

The white gable-end building appears to be the Standard Inn at 15 Half Acre: see Brentford & Chiswick Pubs by Gillian Clegg, p.83 for another view. The accompanying caption notes this building was demolished in 1897, suggesting the postcard view predates this.

Further along are some old cottages and a distant sign for Young and Company marks the Seven Stars public house. This was demolished in 1905 when the Half Acre was widened; Brentford & Chiswick Pubs has a good photo of this pub, p. 83.

At the end of Half Acre The Butts is to the left and Boston Road to the right. A wall letter box is visible, and is marked on the 1894 OS Map.

Howard has provided another view of Half Acre looking south from a similar date.

Published March 2011; updated July 2016