Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News
Occupations Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pub Hub Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford

Half Acre, Brentford early 1900s

Howard Webb provided this postcard scan. It was published by Wakefields early 1900s; Howard also provided a sharper real photo image in April 2014 which is shown below.

Sepia view of road with assortment of old buildings on the left side, no traffic

This view looks south down Half Acre towards the junction with the High Street. The Stud Cycle Works is advertised on the building on the left. The ornate building further on is the Vestry Hall, it opened in 1900.

The photo was taken before 1905 as the buildings on the left were demolished then for road widening: Half Acre was part of the new tram route to Hanwell. A similar view appears in Brentford and Chiswick as it was, (no. 9).

The Half Acre formed the boundary between Old Brentford (on the left of the view) and New Brentford (right), in the parishes of Ealing and Hanwell respectively.

Howard also sent a view looking north up Half Acre and a splendid image of the Seven Stars pub, both pre-1905.

Published January 2011; republished with improved image April 2014; updated Mayy 2021