Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

1945 photo by H. Felton: numbers 216 - 219

view of four High Street shops, three having three storeys, one just two

Part of no. 216 is visible on the left: this features in several local history books and was used for a variety of businesses in the 1840 - 1940 period. By 1901 it was a provision shop and in 1913 - 1940 trade directories this was run by Arthur then Richard Purkis, whose surname is visible in the photo.

217 was a newsagents at the time of the photo, possibly Herbert Douglas Stannard, who is recorded at this address in 1940.

No. 218 is remembered as an eel and pie shop; in 1940 it was run by Mrs M Wood. It is not clear what business was here at the time of the photo: there are two prams outside, not clear if they are for sale or belong to shoppers.

Numbers 219 - 221 were David Greig's provision shop.

Reproduced by permission of English Heritage.NMR

More details of the properties in this area and their occupants

Published January 2008