BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 18 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 209 to 224 High Street, New BrentfordThis section is on the northern side of the High Street running from the Castle Hotel to the corner of Half Acre, which forms the boundary between New Brentford (to the west) and Old Brentford (to the east). This section includes premises used by first surgeons, then solicitors, a china business run by the Christmas family for over 50 years and various other long-running businesses. Most of the properties in this section had 3 storeys and larger than average frontages.
This area is described as ‘more or less the centre of the Georgian and Victorian town’(G23). A late 18th century survey shows frontages of this section which appear to match up to 19th century maps, suggesting this area of Georgian properties survived until the late 19th century with many properties remaining until the 1960s (John Browning & Quentin Pickard).
Following demolition, the sites of numbers 209 to 215 and 219 to 223 were part of an archaeological excavation in 1968 (G23). Goddard’s new furniture store opened in 1969 on the western corner of Brentford High Street and Half Acre, occupying the site of former numbers 219 to 223 and numbers 209 to 215 were redeveloped by the Borough of Hounslow in early 1969 (G23).
Following the rebuilding in this area in the building line was set back leaving a wide pavement with flower beds (L).
There are plenty of photos of this section of the High Street in local histories of Brentford.
Numbers 209/210209(/10?) was used by surgeons possibly as far back as 1811 and through to 1881. In the 1811 census of New Brentford William Cooke was recorded in the property next to The Castle at no. 208, and Holden’s directory of the same year has William Cooke, surgeon, New Brentford.
George Cooper, surgeon, New Brentford appears in the 1826 and 1839 Pigot’s directories and the 1841 census places him in this area:
There is no son called George recorded in the 1841 household but it seems almost certain that it is his son George who succeeded him. A George Cooper was a pupil at Summerfield House in Chiswick in 1841.
In 1851 George F Cooper, ‘MRCS MD LSA practising’ age 23 born Brentford, lived here with his wife Emily E and a servant Sarah Higgins. There is a probable matching marriage in Kensington registration district of George Francis Cooper and Emily Elizabeth Nooth, 1850.
Also in the 1851 household, although listed as a separate schedule (perhaps indicating he was in what became 210) was James Render, dispenser of medicines, born Brentford, unmarried and aged 34. He left a PCC will in 1855.
In 1861 George Francis Cooper, MRCS General Practitioner, aged 33 was still living here with 3 servants. He was ‘married’ and his wife was not at home on the night of the census: she was visiting her father Henry Nooth, an ‘Ancient Military’ and his (possibly second?) wife Emily in Hove, Sussex.Top
He was succeeded by Edward Septimus Earle, a 37 year old surgeon in 1871 born in London. He married Emily Kershaw in Lambeth registration district in 1862 and by 1871 had five children, the eldest two born in London (ages 9 & 10) and the three youngest in New Brentford (ages 1,3 & 5). ESE remained here in 1881, the property being called ‘Sparshall House’. He had 8 children by this stage and a cook, housemaid, groom and surgery boy (John Matthews from Brentford) completed the household.
John Giles was listed as no. 210 in 1881 but I suspect this is an error, as he is listed at no. 211 in later censuses.
The use of the premises as a solicitors office commenced between 1881 and 1891, Alfred Heath, solicitor’s clerk from Scotland lived here with his family in 1891 and 1901.
The 1911 census has separate entries for numbers 209 and 210: 209 was an office occupied by Mrs Nicoll, 210 a shop (uninhabited). Lily Nicoll, age 14, completed the census form on behalf of her mother, Lena Nicoll, who was born in Edinburgh and was a housekeeper. The property had just 3 rooms, suggesting no.210 was the larger property.
209/210 were evaluated together in the 1909/10 Valuation Records and described 9 April 1915 as a large 3 storey house and offices with entrance from middle archway, frontage 34'. It was occupied by S Woodbridge & Sons and S Woodbridge junior. The owners were Stephen Woodbridge, Inverness Lodge, Brentford and Thomas Anthony Woodbridge, St Dunstans Brentford. Mr. Woodbridge was the secretary of the local council and his name appears on a number of local inscriptions (L).
Woodbridge & Sons are listed in trade directories in 1913, 1920, 1928, 1933 & 1940 (and may have operated later): Cyril Woodbridge was recorded at '209/2' in the 1952 electoral register, along with John Hunt.Top
Number 211An ironmongers for over 40 years : George Fulham Searle 1839, 1841 and 1845; John Giles 1851, 1861, 1871 & 1881.
In 1887 an advert appeared in the Middlesex Independent for ‘Henry Grubb, The Golden Key, 211 High Street, Ironmonger, Locksmith and Bellhanger’ ‘Kitchen utensils repaired and re-tinned’ (L).
The premises were uninhabited in 1891. In 1901 Henry Power, mechanical engineer, headed a household of 10 at this address. He is listed as the occupier in the 1909/10 Valuation Records (Harry George Power), paying an annual rent of £50.
The 1911 census records Harry George Power, ‘cycle making and general’ at this address with his wife and 7 of his surviving 9 children (a further 4 had died by 1911). The house had 8 rooms.
The premises were on a 'good site with large workshops at rear' at the time of the 1909/10 Valuation. No. 211 had a frontage of 25'.
G & N Wilsher's shop in the late 1950s, selling cycles, toys and fishing tackle. See links below to photos.
This was ‘Brentford Tandoori’ in 2003 (L).Top
Number 212The earliest reference I have to no. 212 is from a Pigot directory dated 1839, when a William Bunting ran a drapers shop here. In the 1841 census he headed a household of 12, including four male apprentices and two female servants, the whole household was born in Middlesex. By 1851 George Walbran, who ran a drapers' shop next door, had taken over number 212. Number 212 continued as a drapers until around WW1, see notes for 213 for more information.
The 1909/10 Valuation records C E Low as the occupier, although there is a note from April 1915 explaining that 'the lessee has just forfeited the lease as the rent was excessive' and no. 212 was vacant at the time of the inspection. The property was described as three storey stock brick built with parapet walls and common wood shops fronts. The premises were in poor repair.
By 1928 212 was a cycle dealer’s (Reginald Dear), in 1933 & 1940 James Baker, boot and shoe dealers.
Vic Arnold, Scoutmaster of the 6th Brentford Scouts, ran Arnold’s Sports from 212 High Street. He was President of the Brentford Chamber of Commerce between 1979 and 1982 (Brentford Chamber of Commerce website, accessed April 2020).Top
Number 213A drapers from 1839 or earlier, initially run by George Walbran (1839 trade directory) born Thirsk, Yorkshire; he employed 5 men in 1851 and had taken over number 212 by the time of the census. George Walbran was unmarried and two sisters were living with him in 1851.
In 1861 5 shopmen were living in the premises and the household was headed by George Walbran (aged 62) and his two sisters (Mary aged 59, Ann aged 57): they all gave their birthplace as Topcliffe, which is near Thirsk, Yorkshire.
George died in Brentford in 1869 and was succeeded by Charles Pearson Low (from Chester-le-Street, Durham) & George Low in 1871; Charles P Low is listed in 1881, 1891 and 1901.
In 1909 an advert appeared in a programme for ‘Pleasant Saturday Evenings’ at the Brentford Town Mission: C E Low, draper and milliner, 212 and 213 High Street, noting ‘New Millinery Showroom Now Open’.
No. 213 was recorded in the 1909/10 Valuation as a house and shop, owned and occupied by Charles Edmund Lowe, sold in December 1908 for £800. It was a three storey stock brick built and tiled shop with cement upper part extending over right of way with a wood shop front to lower part. It contained a basement cellar, ground floor shop, store, kitchen and scullery and outside WC; first floor 3 rooms and top floor 4 rooms. There was a one storey stable at the rear in the yard and the property was in 'fair condition only'.
In the 1911 census numbers 213 and 214 were shown in the summary as ‘buildings not used as dwellings’, occupied by Mr Low.
A 1913 trade directory shows the business was run by Charles E Low from numbers 212 and 213. By 1928 no. 212 was a cycle dealer’s (Reginald Dear) and no. 213 was Hopes Ltd, domestic store, who remained there until 1940 (at least).Top
Number 214Charles James Murphy, a printer/bookseller/bookbinder from 1839 – 1861; followed by Mrs Isabella Coulton, printer & stationer 1871/1874, then John Frederick Coulton printer & stationer 1881 – 1913.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 214 as a house and shop of 3 storeys, stock brick built and tiled, with parapet walls and flat roof with workshops at rear (in good condition). The shop had a ‘common wood front’. On the ground floor were a shop and office, private entrance, scullery and WC. In the basement: cellars and scullery. First floor: 2 rooms. Top floor: 3 rooms (poor condition). At the rear were a two storey workshops and lean-to machinery room. ‘The property has right of way over side passage’. (The accompanying plan shows this running between numbers 213 and 214).
The 1911 census records 214 twice, in both cases as a building not used as a dwelling, first with no. 213, occupied by Mr Low, then on its own, occupier JF Coulton Ltd.
In 1913 the premises were shared with John Laycock, surveyor of customs & excise for Brentford & Francis Kelly, customs & excise, old age pensions & national insurance officer for Brentford & Hanwell.Top
Number 215A pork butchers for over 60 years, according to trade directories / census returns from 1839 – 1901. Surnames of occupiers: Terry, Parker, Morris & Bates; not listed in the 1913 directory but reappears later as United Dairies (London) Ltd.
The 1911 census shows no. 215 was a shop with a flat over it, unoccupied at the time.
In the 1909/1910 Valuation, which took place on 9 April 1915 no. 215 was described asa 3 storey, stock brick built & tiled shop, with extensive stables at rear, with entrance from a Right of Way, formerly occupied by a butcher but now empty and in very bad condition’ (T). See Elizabeth Thormod's piece for more about the Bates family.Top
Number 216I believe a Henry John Robinson, plumber lived here in 1841. 70 years later the property was owned by a H Dalgarno-Robinson, possibly a descendant.
The property had a miscellany of businesses in the 1840 - 1940 period, including George Keyworth, cutter (1861), John Morris, chemist (1871) and John Langley, draper (1881) when the property was called 'The Little Wonder'; John Langley was from Cario, Glamorgan and his sister Elizabeth a 'farmer's daughter' lived with him. It remained a drapers in 1890 / 1891 (William Henry Pearce).
The 1911 census records just Annie Prince, a Brentford-born widow, age 44, working as a housekeeper and occupying the flat over the shop. The property had 4 rooms.
By 1913 Arthur Purkis had established a provision store here and it continued under his name in 1933, as Richard Purkis in 1940.
In 1915 it was described as a 'three storey stock brick built shop, flat roof, large projecting first floor window, wood framed, flat roof, extending over pavement'(T).Top
Number 217This was a saddlers/harness makers from 1839 – 1871: William King until 1851, then Henry Thick 1861 – 1871.
In 1911 Ernest Spiller, a commercial traveller in drapery, born in Wimborne, Dorset, lived at no. 217 with his wife Ada and stepdaughter Winifred James. The property had 5 rooms.Top
Number 218In 1881 William Hill, tailor, 32 born Oxford lived here with his wife, Eliza C, 31, also born Oxford and their children Florence L 10 born in Brentford, Kate 7 and William F 4 both born Southsea Hampshire and youngest son William E, 2, born Brentford. Richard B Cox, 18, a hatter born in Bristol, Somerset, boarded with the family.
Ten years later, 1891, the Kent family lived at 218: John Kent, widower, 77 a stationer with his brood of unmarried children: Emma S Norton, 50; John C Kent, 46, grocer’s assistant; George M Kent, 41, teacher of music; Esther M Kent, 39, shop assistant. The eldest daughter was born in Brentford (and somehow came to have a different surname) and the two youngest in Tottenham; the father was born in Newington or Kensington (unclear) and John C’s birthplace was London St (unclear).
The Kent family had moved away by 1898, Kelly’s trade directory records Sidney Sheppard shoe maker at this address with a second shop at 20 Windmill Road. The same directory has George Montague Kent, toy dealer at 20 Half Acre; he may be the George M Kent noted in 1891.
Mrs Elizabeth Sheppard, National School teacher, lived here in 1901 and Sidney Sheppard, music seller, is recorded here in a 1913 trade directory.
The 1911 census reveals they were a married couple, Sidney a ‘shopkeeper and musician’ and wife Elizabeth ‘elementary school teacher’. The census asks whether the person works at home and Sidney completed ‘at home and out’. The couple had been married 27 years and one of their two children survived. Elizabeth was Brentford born.
In 1915 Sidney Sheppard was the owner and occupier of this '...old two storey stock brick built & tiled shop with attic dormer in roof. Large projecting wood-framed window to first floor extending over pavement...small shop with iron spiral staircase to first floor being only way up'.
By 1928 Mrs M Woods ran an eel pie shop here and she is listed here in 1933 & 1940. 'This shop was especially important on Saturday nights, selling steak pies & mash or stewed eels & mash' (O).
Number 219A china shop run by the Christmas family from 1839 to 1891 : Mrs Elizabeth Christmas from 1839 – 1871, then Miss Sarah Christmas from 1881 – 1891. There is a PCC will for William Christmas in 1839, husband to Elizabeth.
The premises were later used as a grocers, run by Albert E Moore in 1901.
In the 1911 census 219 was a shop in the category ‘building not used as a dwelling’, occupied by ‘Mr More’.
The 1909/10 Valuation returns describe the property in 1915 as a small shop owned by Alfred Platt, c/o Platts Stores, High Street Hounslow. By 1913 Albert Edward Moore, from Bristol, is listed as running a provision stores spanning number 219 – 221. Demolished ca 1968 (D)Top
Numbers 220/221Two separate properties originally, number 220 was used by tallow chandlers in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses, then by Joseph Bates, fishmonger in 1881 and 1890 (trade directory). A Miss Mary Ann Heath from Carshalton, Surrey, ran a dressmakers and milliners from number 221 in 1851 and 1861, when she employed 2 apprentices and 2 women: the 1861 household included her sister, Eva Augusta and niece, Amelia. In 1871 Miss Rosa A Heath ran the business, she also came from Carshalton and is presumably related to Mary Ann Heath, but the connection is unknown, I have not found her in the 1861 census. If you are interested in the Heath family, see Jan Chinnery's list of Heath entries extracted from trade directories.
A 1907 trade directory shows numbers 220 and 221 were ‘Platts Stores Limited, W E Holman manager’.
The 1911 census shows Frank Dominey (42), his wife May (26) and children Bruce (3) and Marion (1) living at no. 220, with Kate Blundell, a 15-year old servant (all except Frank were Northamptonshire born). Frank was a ‘grocery manager’ and the census summary shows numbers 220 and 221 recorded together. The return completed by Frank for no. 220 shows it had 7 rooms, this may include no. 221.
In 1911 Platts Stores were described as a new brick & slated modern shop with granite pilasters, double front, red brick and stone built floor…. Well built about 1896. There is a small sketch plan of the property in the Valuation Records at The National Archives. (T).
By 1928 David Greig Ltd ran the provision stores from numbers 219 – 221, he remained there until (at least) 1940; demolished ca 1968 (D)Top
Number 222John Browning’s research, using Manorial Records and other documents held at Chiswick Library, suggests that from 1755 to 1788 John Southey, a tailor, occupied this property, which a late eighteenth century plan of this area shows as being owned by ‘Strudwick’.
By 1841 the property was occupied by Henry Elgood, a baker, who remained at this property in 1851. He was followed by George Boxall, also a baker, in 1861 and 1871, then Thomas Atkins, baker (1881 and 1882), then Edward John King, baker (1890 and 1891).
In 1898 W & R Fletcher Ltd, butchers were recorded at this address. In 1901 no. 222 was occupied by James Bates, a fruiterer and greengrocer (born Chiswick). A photo from 1905 shows ‘C M Page’ at this property. In 1907 (trade directory) J & P Field, butchers used the property and an advert from 1909 for ‘Pleasant Sunday Evenings’ at the Brentford Town Mission, Old Spring Gardens, includes an advert‘J & P Field, Purveyors of English and Scottish Meat Only, 222 High Street … Prime Pickled Ox Tongues …Poultry kept in stock and Killed within shortest notice…’. (L)
A 1911 trade directory lists William James, fishmonger, as trading from this address. In the census this year the property was a ‘lock-up shop’ with no occupier.
The property was valued in 1915, details noted include:
House and shop, gross value £50, rateable value £43.
Occupier J. Williams. Owner Frank Albert Field, London Road, Newbury (possibly the Frank A. Field who lived at no. 183 High Street in 1901, a carpenter)
Freehold. Rent £50. Former sales: about 1907, consideration £810.
A 2 storey and attic stock brick built tiles shop premises. Upper part cement faced. Lower part with open shop front. Contains:
Ground floor: shop, office, kitchen, small yard, stable First floor: 3 partitioned rooms. 2 attics, basement cellar. Fair condition only. Gross valuation: £750.
A small accompanying plan shows numbers 222 and 223. The stable behind no.222 was accessible from a right of way from Half Acre. The stable was in ‘fair’ condition.
In 1913 the property was used by Edward Michael and Co., butchers and it remained a butchers shop until at least 1940: British & Argentine Meat Co (1923) Ltd (1928 and 1933); Dewhursts (1940).
Was the property which appears in photos from the early 1900s the same property as John Southey lived in over 150 years previously, following a rebuilding of neighbouring properties on the east (between 1881 and 1891) and west (1896)? Quentin Pickard advises
‘I think it is certainly pre-19th century. Most of the Victorian buildings in the High Street were wider, taller and more grandiose than the 'Page' shop, which seems to be of a similar scale to the bow-fronted buildings on the left of the picture (which I think are also pre-19th century). The steeply-pitched tiled roof with dormers is seen in quite a number of pre-Victorian buildings in Brentford (see for instance the 1848 engraving of Brentford market place by Wilkins). Tiled roofs (at least in London) tend to be pre-Victorian because it was the railways that first enabled Welsh slate to be transported cheaply enough for use in London. The 'cement faced' upper floor mentioned, could in fact be a facing to a timber frame, again suggesting an earlier date.’Top
Number 223Originally no. 223 was next but one to the Half Acre and High Street junction. A late 18th century survey (at Chiswick Library) shows Henderson owned this property and no. 221 and 224.
No. 223 appears to have been unoccupied in 1841 and 1851. In 1861 it is possible Henry Ilsley, a greengrocer, lived here. By 1871 George Buchanan, a gas fitter, occupied no. 223 and he remained here in 1881.
A rebuild of numbers 223 and 224 took place between 1881 and 1891 to create bank premises for Barclays. Edward Prisnall was the bank manager recorded at this address in 1891 and 1901; the property was called ‘Old Bank’ in an 1898 Kelly’s directory, which is a mystery as it was relatively new. Was there a bank on this site before 1861? An 1839 Pigot directory records a Savings Bank in New Brentford, open every Monday from 12 until 2, Joseph Hill secretary, but there is no evidence it was at this location.
In 1911 Percival Mallinson, born Croydon, was the bank manager occupying ‘Barclays Bank House’ at 223 High Street, with his wife and teenage children (born Egham, Surrey). The property had 9 rooms. In 1913 the bank manager was Herbert Oscar Jarvis.
In 1915 it was assessed as part of the 1909/10 Valuation Returns and described as a ‘substantially built corner premises … 3 storeys, upper part red brick built & slated’; it continued to be Barclays Bank with bank managers Charles William Ashman, 1933 and in B J Lane in 1940.
In 1970 Goddards Furniture moved into newly built premises which occupied former numbers 217 to 224: the new premises were addressed as ‘225 High Street’ in 1997. Barclays Bank occupied no. 203 on the corner of Market Place in 1997 (L).Top
Number 224Owned by Henderson in the late 18th century, this property was on the western corner of Half Acre until 1882, when it was demolished and the bank was built. The new bank premises occupied the site of the original no. 223 and part of the site of 224.
In the period 1861 – 1881 it was the Crown and Anchor beerhouse, run by Richard Lunn (1861), Francis Reed (1871), Mrs F. Reed (1874) and John Taylor, who was also a car man, (1881). The number of residents ranged from 11 to 16 in the three censuses. Vic Rosewarne has researched the history of the Crown and Anchor.
Prior to being a beerhouse, no. 224 was probably occupied by Thomas Davis, carpenter in 1851 and Samuel Grocock, auctioneer & appraiser, in 1841.Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to any photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site.
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
209 - 210 1945/6 (H)
209 - 212 June 1966 (A57); postcard 1930
211 - 211a Pearks 1945 (H); G & N Wilsher late 1950s postcard
212 Lewis' drapers 1905 (C17); 1909 advert C E Low draper & milliner (L); 1945/6 photo; late 1950s postcard
213 Dairy Supply Co. 1905 (C17) & A(54); 1909 advert C E Low draper & milliner (L); postcard 1930;1945/6 photo; late 1950s postcard; June 1966 (A57)
214 Advert J.F. Coulton printer etc., St George’s Parish Magazine 1898 (L); Frederick Coulton, printer 1905 (C17); c 1905 (K117); July 1905 (A54); June 1966 (A57); 1945/6 photo (H)
215 July 1905 (A54); June 1966 (A57); Thomas Bates, butcher 1905 (C17); Thomas Bates, cash butcher 1905 (K117); 1960s (L)
215 - 220 1960s (L)
216 - 219 1945/6 (H)
216 onwards 1950s & 2006 (S50) 216 Tarrants dairy July 1905 (A54); June 1966 (A57); Tarrants Dairy 1905 (C17); Tarrants Dairy July 1905 (D8); Tarrants Dairy, 1905 (K117)
217 - 222 Pre WW1 (A53)
217 July 1905 confectioners (A54); Chas Nias confr 1905 (C17)
218 July 1905 (A54); Sheppards boot 1905 (C17); July 1905 (D8); Pre WW1 (A53)
219 - 223 1905 (D8)
221 Platts Stores Pre WW1 (A53); Platts Stores, 1905 (D8)
222 1935 (A52); C M Page 1905 (D8); 1909 advert J & P Field, butchers (L)
223 1935 Barclays Bank (A52); Goddards Furniture store in 1996 (A); Goddards Furniture 1978
Warning - download over 200k!1838 Tithe map modern numbers 209 to 224 are tithe property refs 321 to 336
Warning - download over 150k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Roads Off'New Gateway' marked in late 18th century plan survived as an entry between numbers 213 and 214 into the 20th century and possibly later
Half Acre between numbers 224 and 225
Published 2006; last updated April 2020