Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Brentford Families - Jupp

In 1841 William Jupp headed a household of 10 including two servants at Jupps Yard. He remained here in 1851 & 1861 in similarly large households. He appears in the 1871 census and died later in the year, aged 72.

Henry Jupp, co-owner of the Jupp properties and presumably the younger brother of William, lived in Northumberland Terrace, Cobham House, Chiswick in 1881. Henry died in 1897, aged 90. His daughter Jane Jupp married George Harman Jupp, her first cousin, in 1872.

Alfred Jupp, maltster, is listed next door to William in 1861 & 1871 – he was 32 in 1861 and a son of William. He had moved to Cookham, Berkshire by the time of the 1881 census and no Jupps are listed as living in the High Street premises in 1881.

Alfred’s younger brother George Harman Jupp appears to have taken over running of the business in 1881. He lived in Chiswick, his occupation was ‘maltster corn & coal merchant’ and he employed 66 men and 6 boys. In 1891 he had moved into number 83 and in 1901 was living in Cobham, his wife’s birthplace and Maurice Victor Jupp, his son, lived at no. 83.

George Harman Jupp is recorded as the owner of numbers 81, 82 and 83 in the 1909/10 Valuation Records. Jupp and Sons were recorded as the owners of no. 85 and Jupp’s Wharf.

The 1913 trade directory lists George Harman Jupp senior at no. 83 & Jupp & Sons, corn & coal merchants at no. 85. Jupp & Sons continued to trade from no. 85 in 1920, 1928; by 1933 they were ‘corn merchants’ and a similar entry appears in 1940, by which time the premises were also used by the Tunnel Portland Cement Co. Ltd.

Details of the properties owned and lived in by the Jupp family.

Top