BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 7 -> Next Section | Previous Section
Numbers 79 - 85 High Street, Old BrentfordThis section, on the southern side of the High Street, runs from Dock Road to the western edge of Old Brentford parish and is opposite where Somerfield supermarket is today. It includes a surviving 18th century building, number 80.
In the tithe return from 1839/ 1841 John Clarke owned 4 houses & gardens to the west of Dock Road; William & Henry Jupp owned the other 5 houses, gardens and buildings adjacent to John Clarke’s property and running up to the parish boundary.
The properties to the west of no. 81 appear differently on the tithe, 1865 and 1894 OS maps.
PropertiesNotes prepared for numbers 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 and Jupps Wharf; also a list of photos, ephemera and maps
Number 79A property on the western corner of Dock Road used as offices by the Underwood's hay and straw business from around 1871. This may have originally been three properties: the tithe map shows 'three houses and a garden', two fronting the High Street and an adjoining property behind them.
‘Representatives of Art, Industries & Commerce at the Beginning of the Twentieth Century’ notes ‘The present head office, situated in the main street of Brentford, is a substantial brick building, providing accommodation for a numerous staff of clerks’ and that Harry T Underwood was a partner in the firm since 1873.
In the 1909/10 valuation records it was described as a ‘very old’ house, premises, office and stable, frontage 29' 6", owned by Mrs Fanny H Clarke and occupied by Mr Underwood who paid £150 rental for numbers 79 and 80. The occupier’s tenancy term was 50 years from 1883. A 21-stall brick built stable lay to the rear and was partly used as a store.
Edwin Underwood’s business was dissolved in 1909, although the 1913 trade directory records Edwin Underwood still at no. 79 ‘hay salesmen and coal merchants’. The business was finally wound up in 1915, shortly after he died (Board of Trade records at TNA). By the time the 1920/1 directory was compiled no. 79 was the offices for the Brentford Concrete Construction Co. Ltd, who shared the premises with the West London Metal Refining Co. in 1928.
Dee Tickner’s family used to live at no. 79 until 1929 and Dee has written up memories of her grandfather, Fredrick Tickner senior and his son, Frederick Tickner junior.
By 1940 William Dowdall lived here.
There was a modern building on this site by 2002. (L)Top
Number 80John Clarke lived in this L-shaped property, which had a large garden and was set back from the High Street, at the time of the 1839/41 tithe apportionment. He ran a coal & lime business. See Janet McNamara’s article for details of the development of the business from its earliest days in the C18. John Clarke left an interesting will when he died in 1856.
In the Valuation Records it was described as ‘A brick built semi-detached house with tiled roof on 3 floors and basement. Very old and requires repair.
The property had the same owner and occupier as no. 79 and 79 & 80 were valued together at £3000. No. 80 had a frontage to the High Street of 47’ 6”.
The building was listed in 1981 (J).
In 2003 no. 80 was used by Soni and Kaur, solicitors. (L)Top
Arthur Goll, 'attendant at institute, lived here in 1881 with his wife Jane E. 1878 trade directory entry for 81 High Street ‘Brentford Institute, Library and Reading Room (Robert Emmerson sec)’.
In 1891 Alfred Sherwin, commercial traveller, age 31, born Colnbrook Bucks lived here. He remained in 1901 ‘corn merchants traveller’ and is also recorded in street directories up to 1920/1.
By 1928 Arthur Edward Entecott lived at this address, by 1933 Henry Maurice Royle. In 1940 the property was used by Alfred Leonard Fry, solicitor & commissioner for oaths; and Humphrey E Davy, dentist.
Described in the 1909/10 Valuation as a semi-detached house on two floors, brick built and slated. On the top floor were 3 rooms, bathroom and two rooms communicating. On the ground floor a drawing and dining room, kitchen, scullery and WC. The property had a frontage to the High Street of 33' 9"and was let for £26 / year, the owner being George H. Jupp of Stafford House, Brentford.
In the 1950s this building became part of the Wilson and Kyle Ltd complex, diesel engineers who moved from premises in Catherine Wheel Yard to the High Street between 1955 and 1956 (telephone directories (ancestry.co.uk)).
On February 12 2015 the locally-listed two-storey building, apparently of Georgian origin, went under the wrecking ball making way for the new waterside development.Top
Number 82In 1881 Amy & Julia Dessurne, music teachers, born Scotland and in their twenties, living here.
No. 82 was owned by George Harman Jupp in 1909/10 and was a smaller terrace house, frontage 12' 4". It had just one bedroom ('dirty') and a bathroom used by the tenants of no. 83 on the top floor. On the ground floor 2 rooms and there was a basement containing a coal cellar, kitchen, outside washhouse. Internally it was in 'dirty repair', externally in good repair.
This may have originally been a larger building (see notes above).
Numbers 82 and 83 were used by the London Radio College during the late 1920s / early 1930s.
Telephone directories (ancestry.co.uk) show Wilson and Kyle Ltd, Diesel Engineers, moved to 82 High Street between 1955 and 1956.Top
Number 83The 1881 census shows Samuel P Davis, Brighton-born accountant, at no. 83 with his wife and family of three children.
In 1891 George H Jupp lived at no. 83, which by then probably incorporated no. 84, see note above. He was a maltster & corn merchant and was living with his wife, four children a Jupp visitor, cook and housemaid.
In 1901 George's son Maurice Victor Jupp, grain merchants' clerk, age 23, lived here, although he described himself as 'son', so possibly his family were temporarily away.
In 1909/10 no. 83 was described as having a 46' frontage to the High Street and was a 'brick built house on 2 floors, old but in good repair'.
The top floor had eight bedrooms & a dressing room. The ground floor had drawing, dining and billiard rooms, a kitchen, scullery and conservatory. There were cellars under.
1907 & 1913 trade directories list George Harman Jupp senior at no. 83.
Numbers 82 and 83 were used by the London Radio College during the late 1920s / early 1930s.Top
Number 84No. 84 was occupied by John Chiswell and his wife Jane in 1881. John was a corn foreman.
The 1891 census and 1909/10 Valuation do not include no. 84: presumably it had been incorporated into no. 83, see note above.
Jupps WharfBehind no 85 were the maltings of Messrs Jupp. They were in business from 1826 until WWII (Q114). There is a note in the vestry minutes of St Mary’s Ealing regarding Messrs Jupp winning a tender for supplying Ealing workhouse with peas in 1832 (P).
Access to Jupps Wharf lay between numbers 84 and 85 High Street. See more details of the Jupp family.
1898 trade directory: Jupp & Sons, maltsters, corn factors and coal merchants, 84 & 85 High Street & Kew Bridge Road; malt house Ferry Lane.
1907 trade directory: Jupp & Sons, corn merchants, 84 & 85 High Street.
The 1913 trade directory lists Jupp & Sons, corn & coal merchants at just no. 85. Jupp & Sons continued to trade from no. 85 in 1920, 1928; by 1933 they were ‘corn merchants’ and a similar entry appears in 1940, by which time the premises were also used by the Tunnel Portland Cement Co. Ltd.Top
Number 85No. 85 was used as offices for Jupp and Sons until at least 1940 (trade directory).
In 1881 Thomas Shotter, commercial clerk, lived here with his wife and five children.
In 1891 Charles Cooper, carman, lived at no. 85 with his wife Jane. In the 1901 census the same man, still a carman, is recorded in 'Jupps Yard'.
In 1909/10 described as 'office, house & premises'. It was brick built and slated, had two floors with three rooms on the top floor, a shop, office, small room, kitchen, scullery, WC and washhouse on the ground floor. The property had a 16' 10" frontage to the High Street and its western wall formed the parish boundary between the parishes of Old Brentford to the east and New Brentford to the west.Top
Photos/Ephemera/Maps79 Strand Glass Co. at 79 High Street pre 1968 (F); modern building, 2002 (L); 1945/6 photo(H)
80 Listed 1951 (J); opposite Somerfield Supermarket 2002 (L); 1945/6 photo(H); photo from 2002
81 Derelict 2002 (L)
Warning - download over 200k! 1839 Tithe map modern numbers 79 to 85 have tithe property refs 18 to 14
Warning - download over 150k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Roads OffDock Road between numbers 78 & 79; Dock Road is now the pedestrian entrance to the housing at Brentford Dock Estate. There are still the original granite sets on the road. (L 2003)
Published 2006; last updated June 2015