Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Brentford Wedding 1926

Janet McNamara provided a copy from the Middlesex Independent newspaper dated Friday December 24 1926.

It is a treat for a family historian, describing not only the bride's and bridesmaids' dresses, but also cataloguing each wedding gift and donor. I am sure one could draw up a useful family tree from this, but will leave that to a Gower or Holt descendant!

BRENTFORD WEDDING

A very pretty wedding, and one which was of much local interest, was solemnised on Sunday last, at the Church of St. Laurence, New Brentford, the happy young couple being Mr. George Frederick Gower and Miss Lily Violet Holt.

The bridegroom is the son of Mr. W. R. Gower, of North Kensington and Battersea, and the bride is the daughter of Mr. R. Holt, of the "Magpie & Crown," High Street, Brentford, both families being well-known and much respected in Brentford and the Notting Hill districts.

The bride, who was attired in a dress of white georgette, with diamante trimming, was given away by her father and was attended by Miss Ivy Holt and Miss David, whose dresses were of pink georgette, bride and bridesmaids carrying bouquets of choice flowers, Mr. Reg Gower (brother of the bridegroom) was best man, and the officiating clergyman was the Rev. C. P. Koelle, vicar of St. Laurence.

The reception and wedding breakfast were held at the "Magpie and Crown" Hotel, where a company of about sixty assembled to offer their felicitous wishes to the newly wedded pair. Very handsome presents were exchanged between the bride and bridegroom, and the latter presented the bridesmaids with gold hair slides.

Top

The numerous other wedding gifts included the following:

Dad mahogany clock
mum dinner service
Tom painting
Bill and Beat cruet
Bill and Alice biscuit barrel
aunt Susie biscuit barrel
bridegroom's mother elegant oak oval mirror
Mrs. Crichard biscuit barrel
Mary pair cushions
Mr. and Mrs. Bush pair cushions
Mr. and Mrs. Ruff cushions
aunt Liz and uncle Fred pair vases
cousin Albert and Gladys set of trays
Gran coffee set
uncle Fred and aunt Eva tea knives
Nana cheese dish
Mrs. L. Kenton table cloth
Mrs. Wells table cloth
Pollie and Nellie art pot
Mrs. Gillingham art pot
Mrs.Flo Collis art pots
Mrs. Hurst flower bowl
Mrs. R. Allum two table cloths
cousin Annie jam jar
Reg silver mirror
Saloon Customers mahogany table
Mr. and Mrs. Warrington fruit lapan
Mr. and Mrs. Nichols silver sweet dish
Miss Leach silver bread plate
Ethel jam dish
Ivy oak clock
cousin Lizzy pair of paintings
Mrs. Bowles cup and saucer
Mr. and Mrs. Davies silver tea set
Friend copper kettle
Mrs. David toilet set
Mr. Harry Angel egg cups
Mr. Bowles pair ornaments
Mrs. Freeman six forks
Mrs. Hester duchess set. etc.
Mrs. Frost pair pin-cushions

Top

There were other presents received later, and to all the kind donors, Mr. and Mrs. Gower desire to convey their appreciative thanks.

The catering for the breakfast was very satisfactorily carried out by Miss Leach and Mr. Nichols of High Street, and the bride cake was supplied by Lemons, also of Brentford.

Notes

Kelly's 1928 trade directory shows Richard Henry Holt was landlord of the Magpie and Crown and he was presumably the father of the bride.

Lemons, who provided the 'bride cake', were at 214 High Street.

Top

Published November 2008