Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Photo of the Magnet, 1950s

Black & white photo of  corner pub and view beyond

This undated view of the Magnet beerhouse, 152 High Street, has been provided by James Marshall, Hounslow Local Studies Librarian. It is thought to date from the 1950s.

The partly visible pub on the near corner is the Six Bells (149 High Street) and the road off to the left leads to the Ham. Beyond the Magnet the High Street rises in its approach to Brentford Bridge.

Outside the cafe at no. 153 (next to the Magnet) are signs for R Whites, Wills Capstan cigarettes and Pepsi-Cola.

1940 directory lists the businesses / occupants of this stretch:

  • 152 Alfred John Jennings, beer retailer
  • 153 F H Richardson, snack bar
  • 154 G Gleyze, cycle dealer
  • 155 Mrs Collis
  • 156 John Harris
  • 157 no ref
  • 158 Thomas Wilson sen.

More information about this area of the High Street