Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Gasometer and other verticals, 1973

Peter Young's photo was taken on the 7th April 1973, a study in verticals: the 1877 fountain; the 1867 campanile-style standpipe tower of the Grand Junction Water Works; the gas holder - 1960s?; and the block of flats -1960s?. Street furniture, the ornamental cast iron lamps surrounding the fountain and the squat black and white striped bollard all point upwards.

The photo was taken from near Kew Bridge looking westwards towards the High Street. Standing on the same spot today the standpipe tower and flats remain. The fountain, originally the focus for market trading in late Victorian times, became too much of an obstruction and was moved to the Western International Market in 1974: Janet McNamara's history of the market includes a photo of the fountain at its new site. Brentford Fountain Leisure Centre, built in the 1980s on Chiswick High Road, was named after the fountain. The gas holder was one of two which survived the transition to natural gas in 1963; both were demolished in 1988 (Brentford Past). The site has an atmospheric 1950s gas holder view and also a view of the same from the west, around 1970.

Full list of Peter's photos

Fountain, gas holder, standpipe tower, flats

Published January 2016