Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford

Thames Locks, Brentford

Peter Young took this photo at Thames Locks on 3rd April 1973, part of a collection of photos from 1973 and 1974 which show river traffic and people who worked on the waterways. If you are not familiar with the Thames Lock area the map below may help:
OS map, survey 1912, published 1915

The section above from the 1912 OS map, 25 inches to the mile, shows Thames Locks (marked 'lock') at the western end of Dock Road. Plough and Catherine Wheel Yards, running south from the High Street, and Brentford Dock are also marked. Gillian Clegg writes in Brentford Past that Thames Lock was constructed some time before 1818 near the junction of the canal and the Thames so that it was possible to access the canal at all times. Thames Lock was originally a single lock but was doubled and mechanised in 1962. The engine house, marked on the map near to the lock, contained steam engines which powered the cranes used in Brentford Dock (Carolyn & Peter Hammond, Then and now Brentford).

The photo below shows the view upstream, the footbridge visible in the distance and the building to the left could be the Brentford Dock Estate, which was occupied from 1977.
Thames Lock

Full list of Peter's photos

Published May 2016; updated July 2016