Published December 2006

Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

1945/6 photo by H. Felton: numbers 286 - 287

view showing two 3 storey, hip-roofed properties with bay windows on the first floor

The photo shows 286 & 287 at the centre and glimpses of 285 and 288. 286 & 287 were built together and described as 'old' in the 1909/10 Valuation.

No. 285 was used by various oilmen in 1871 through to 1913. By 1928 Woods, watchmakers/jewellers were using no. 285 and William Woods remained here until at least 1945/6 when the photo was taken.

No. 286 was a chemists/druggists shop by 1851 and remained so until at least 1945, by which time Woodfield Henry Argles was the proprietor.

No. 287 was a grocers shop by 1839 and remained so until at least 1913. By 1928 Alfred G Milton, an oilman, had moved in. At the time of the photo this was 'Milton's Cash Stores'.

Reproduced by permission of English Heritage.NMR

More details of the properties in this area and their occupants