BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Brentford Councillors - William Flewitt
IntroductionJanet McNamara has researched details of the men who served as Brentford Local Board Members and Councillors, see intro page for more details of early local government structure.
William Flewitt JP (1881 – 1948)Mr Flewitt’s name appears as a Councillor on the Brentford UDC houses on the corner of Ealing Road and Challis Road built in 1920 and the plaque commemorating the opening of Boston Manor Park in 1924 when he was Chairman of the Council.
His birth was registered in the June quarter in Wrexham 1881 11b 321 and at the time of the 1881 census he was 1month old. His father Thomas was 35 and a Public Waiter and his mother Clara was 30. He had 4 older sisters. The elder 3 were scholars. They were living in Denbeigh, Wrexham.
I haven’t found a census entry for 1891 but by 1901 the family were in Liverpool. William was a cashier aged 20 with 2 older sisters and 2 younger brothers.In the December quarter 1906 he married Elizabeth Collard in Derby 7b 1165 and by the 1911 census they were living at 90, Wellseley Road, Chiswick with their 3 year old son, Leslie. William was 30 and an employer and a fruit salesman (presumably at Brentford Market which had been extended in 1905). Elizabeth was 31 born in Derby. Top
In 1919 William stood for the Council saying in an advertisement in the Middlesex Independent Vote for William Flewitt and the Improvement of the town, the dwellings and the Market.
17 men stood for the Council that year and Mr Flewitt was one of the 8 elected with 883 votes. He served for many years and was Mayor …….
He became a Justice of the Peace in 1933 and was an Alderman until 1945.
Also in 1933 he was a founder member of Gunnersbury Masonic Lodge.
William Flewitt of Idridgehay, 183, Gunnersbury Lane died March 4th 1948 at The Grove Nursing Home, 18, The Grove, Heston.
There are some records on the Ancestry website.
Other materialJanet has also provided newspaper articles from 1925 (address to electorate), a newspaper head and shoulders portrait (1932) and two obituaries, 1948. To be added as time permits.
Page published February 2013