BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Not Brentford New
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 8 -> Next Section | Previous Section
Numbers 86 - 97 High Street, New BrentfordThis section of the High Street, from the eastern boundary of New Brentford to Catherine Wheel Yard is on the south side of the High Street, opposite the Half Acre and includes the Black Boy & Still and Catherine Wheel PH, a butchers shop for over 90 years and an undertakers.
Following the demolition in October 1972 of a factory which occupied this area (numbers 86 – 97), archaeological excavations took place prior to an office block being built (G24).
Numbers 89 – 93 were owned by John Clark in the mid 1800s and the trustees of Fanny H Clark deceased in 1911 (1909/10 Valuation Records). The will of John Clarke in 1856 refers to these properties and their occupants; it also mentions a son George, who appears to be the father of Fanny H Clark.
The death of a Fanny H Clark was registered in Brentford in the last quarter of 1910, she was 65. This fits reasonably well a Fanny H Clark who was living with her widowed mother Mary in ‘Little Boston’ in St Paul’s parish, Old Brentford, in 1891. Forty years earlier the 1851 census shows her living with her parents, George & Mary in The Butts: George’s occupation was ‘Gentleman, houses etc’.
Numbers 94, 95 & 96 were probably built at the same time: the 1909/10 Valuation for 94 refers to (as 95 & 96) and the frontages were similar: no. 94 13’ 9”, nos. 95 & 96 13’ 6”. They were probably demolished at the same time too.
Numbers 86, 87, 92 are last listed in the 1913 trade directory.
Number 86The tithe map shows a building on the eastern edge of New Brentford, with a long plot behind running down to the River Thames (see below for a link to the tithe map, Grainger lived at plot number 74). In 1841 William Grainger, coal merchant lived here with his wife Mary, daughters Ann & Sophia and son William.
In the 1851 census he is described as a corn merchant and his son William M is an annuitant. William senior and his wife Mary were born in Hayes. William Grainger died in 1854 and left a PCC will. In the 1861 census the occupant 'slept out' and in 1871 'no-one slept in premises'.
By 1881 Joseph Kingham, who was born in Aylesbury, Bucks had moved here and was working as a provisions merchant. He shared no. 86 with two brothers and a sister.Top
In the 1891 and 1901 censuses the house was occupied by housekeepers, not the Kingham family. Joseph had married by 1891 and was living in Boston Road, New Brentford. The 1913 trade directory entry for no. 86: ‘Joseph Kingham & Sons Ltd, wholesale grocers’ .
The 1909/10 Valuation (which took place in May 1915) describes the property as ‘old plaster & tiled’ offices and premises, last sold for £6000 on 13 September 1899. The owner & occupier was ‘Joseph Kingham and Sons Ltd’ but the ‘Premolove White Company Ltd’ occupied most of the premises at an annual rent of £70.
The premises consisted of
Yard with covered shelter & raised loading stage with 2 boilers. Old brick and tile 3 storey building, formerly malting with
Other buildings on the site:
Very fair repair. Paved yard. Frontage to High Street 32’ 7”. Gross Value £1870.Top
Black Boy & Still(87)Run by John Blackman in 1841 & 1845; William Banks (1851); George J Baldwin (1861/71); Mrs Elizabeth Baldwin (1874); Joseph Van (1881); Mrs Emma Alice Matthews (1890, 1891); John Thomas Matthews (1901, 1913, 1920); not listed in 1928 or later trade directories. Later became part of Wilson & Kyle, who also had premises at number 81.
When valued on 3 December 1914 the property was owned by Fuller, Smith & Turner, Griffin Brewery, Chiswick and occupied by J S Matthews. It was a 2-storey and attic building with a brick and tile dormer in the roof, upper part cement faced and lower part wood and glazed. The premises were old but in fair condition.Top
Number 88A larger than average property of three storeys plus cellars described as ‘old’ in 1911, no. 88 was occupied by the Lambert family in 1841: Francis (aged 75 and ‘Independent’), Thomas (35, currier), John (55, brazier), Mary (45) and Maria (40 ). The tithe map for New Brentford shows this property on a deep plot running down to the river with a number of out-buildings at the end of the plot.
The 1845 Six Counties Directory includes William & Thomas Lambert, curriers. In 1851 just Thomas Lambert, 49, born ‘Boro, Surrey’, currier and his wife Margaret , 50, born Leeds lived here. In 1861 Thomas’s birthplace is clarified as ‘Southwark’, his occupation ‘leather cutter’.
By 1871 the property was occupied by Hampshire born James Holly, a plumber, wife Julia (born Staffordshire) and their son Robert J. Holly (19).
According to the International Stores web site, their first store opened in Brentford in 1878. The 1881 census shows Henry J Slaughter (22) at no. 88, manager and grocer’s assistant, along with Arthur E Slaughter (14), his assistant and possibly a brother, both were born in St Leonard’s Sussex. An 1882 trade directory shows the National Tea Company at no. 88, manager Henry Slaughter. Kelly's 1890 directory shows the International Tea Co.(proprietors Kearley & Tonge) at no. 88 and 339. In 1891 and 1901 the premises were no longer inhabited.
The 1909/10 Valuation took place in 1911 and mentions a leasehold of 1000 years from 1793. By then the property was occupied by Fuller Smith & Turner on a 21 year tenancy from 1896 and was owned by Mrs Florence Adelaide Armstrong on Watford. It was an old, brick & slated property of cellars, ground floor and two storeys, double fronted and was a ‘Toffee King’ sweet stuffs shop. The frontage to the High Street was 17’6” and the plot extended back 134’. It was valued at £850.
In 1913 the London Clog Co., clog makers, used no. 88. There is no reference to no. 88 in trade directories from 1920 – 1940.Top
Number 89One of 5 properties (numbers 89 - 93) owned by John Clarke in the mid 1800s. John Clarke was a lime & coal merchant who lived at no. 80 in 1841 & 1851.
No. 89 was a long standing butchers: George Lack, pork Butcher in 1839, 1841, 1845 & 1851; he left a PCC will in 1852; John Morris took over and in 1861 had an assistant and shop boy living in; he remained here in 1871 by which time he was 52; in 1881 Mrs Sarah Morris, pork butcher lived here.
She was succeeded by locally born Frederick Marriner who ran a pork butchers from here in 1890, 1891, 1901,1913.
On 24 April 1911 the property is described as ‘one of three old brick built and tiled two storey and attic buildings with ... wood cornice and distempered brick front … steps down to cellar with sink. Also a gas engine room with copper etc (sausage making)’. Also ‘Very old, about 200 years or more’.
In 1920 the business is 'F Marriner & Co', in 1928 'Marriner & Co'. Maurice Lockyer remembers hearing of Freddie Marriner's gruesome death. Number 89 is not included in the 1933 or 1940 trade directories.Top
Number 90In the 1841 census Mary Dale, aged 75 lived here with her son James, aged 42, a lighterman, and servant Harriet Wheeler (18). Mary may be the widow or daughter in law of John Dale, lighterman and waterman, who died ca 1809 and for whom there is an entry in the Death Duty Register (TNA Documents OnLine).
Mary survived until 1851, when she was 85 and gave her occupation as ‘annuitant’ and birthplace as Chiswick. Her unmarried son James remained at home, a lighterman employing 4 men; he was born in Brentford. Two granddaughters Jemima (14) and Ann (13) completed the household.
By 1861 William G Dale, stonemason aged 34, his wife Ann and two young daughters were living at no. 90, all born in Brentford. William G may be the grandson of Mary Dale.
In 1871 James Comfort, ‘frizzette maker no. 5’ lived here. He was born in Camberwell, had a wife Hephzebah from Birmingham and a baby son. I believe a frizzette was either a hair piece or hair ornament.
By 1881 the property was shared by widow: Eliza Harman, who ran a tobacconists: she had was 29 and had 3 children under 10; and David Coleman (labourer) his wife Mary and baby daughter. In 1891 Frederick Williams was running the tobacconists and in 1901 Frederick Williams, a draper from Sheffield lived here.
The 1909/10 Valuation inspection took place on 24th April 1911. The property was described as a ‘house, shop and premises and yard in rear about 200’ S(outh) of High Street’. The shop was about 9’ by 14’ 6” and the property was in ‘bad repair throughout – empty’. Fanny H Clark owned numbers 89 to 93. The 1894 OS Map shows the property on a deep but thin plot running south of the High Street.Top
Number 91Occupied by the Gardiner family for over 50 years.
A William Gardiner, bricklayer, is recorded in the 1839 Pigot directory (but not the 1826 directory). In 1841 he was a bricklayer living with Jane and baby Jane (9 months). There are entries (Freebmd) suggesting he married Jane Prior in 1839 in Brentford registration district.
In 1851 his wife is named ‘Anne’. A marriage of William Gardiner took place in Brentford registration district after the census in 1841 so perhaps his first wife died. In 1851 he had a 5 year old daughter Elizabeth. By 1861 he was employing 4 men, in 1871 he was a builder employing 5 men and 1 boy. In 1881 he was a master bricklayer, his wife a greengrocer and a Clara Webb from Birmingham was visiting. The 1891 census shows Richard & Ann, aged 75 & 73, as greengrocers.
In 1901 Charles Rimell, picture frame maker born Paddington, was living at no. 91 with his wife Anne and two sons. His married sister Ellen Williams (at 52 twenty years older than Charles) completed the household.
The property was described as a house, shop, premises and detached yard to rear about 165’ south of the High Street occupied by F Williams in 1911, owned by trustees of Fanny H Clark, see note above. It had a 10’ 10” frontage to the High Street and adjoined no. 90 to which it was similar. It was in bad repair throughout with bad flooring. The detached brick walled yard was dilapidated.Top
Number 92In 1841 two households shared this property, one headed by Jonah Wood, a 45 (to 49) year old tailor and Charlotte his wife; the other comprised Henry Tansly, a journeyman tailor, James Jenkins a printer from Ireland and Ellen Greason, a servant.
By 1851 Richard Williams (aged 35) lived here with his wife Elizabeth and a son and daughter Richard & Elizabeth (4 years and 4 months respectively). He employed 9 men in 1851 and the household included 4 journeymen shoe makers aged between 21 & 38 and a journeyman boot closer, aged 32. Also a servant. All were single - presumably the accommodation would not be suitable for married workers.
Peter Walters writes ‘In the course of researching my family history, I have found the marriage of my gg-grandfather, Alexander Evans, to Catherine Brown in the parish church in New Brentford on 23/01/1856. Alexander was a journeyman shoemaker born in Frome, Somerset and Catherine was born in Ireland. The witnesses to the wedding were Richard Williams and Mary Ann Prendergast … I think that Richard was my gg-grandfather's employer in 1856.’
Richard Williams remained at this address through to at least 1881, when he was recorded as 63, a boot factor; visiting was a William Farnden, shoemaker and his wife Margaret and two children.
By 1890 Henry Grubb, ironmonger, was using no.92. The 1891 census shows him as aged 31 and living with his wife Marie and ‘sister’ Phoebe R Lloyd: both his wife and ‘sister’ were from Cheshire, whereas Henry was from Brixton.
In 1901 Annie Blow, a widowed confectioner born Islington, lived here with her two adult daughters.
In the 1911 census Charles Lythe, plumber and painter, lived at no. 92 with his wife and 6 children. The family had moved several times during the couple’s 15 year marriage and by the time the 1909/10 Valuation took place appear to have moved again.
The 1909/10 Valuation, which took place on 24 April 1911, described no. 92 as
‘One of a pair of very old brick and tiled 3 storey and attics premises with old shop fronts and distempered fronts over with casements. Let to Brock & Co, Estate Agents. Contains shop (as offices) parlor (borrowed light), skylighted kitchen beyond. Scullery (sink only). First (floor) 2 rooms; attics 2 rooms. Also brick and slated warehouse – 1 storey – to east of common way and west of Kinghams Yard as plan. Cement floor, about 17’ 0” (wide?) by 20’ deep. Has a blocked up doorway & window to Kinghams Yard but no right thereon or exit there.’
There is a plan showing numbers 89 – 93 and a back way that runs behind the properties and then southwards, behind numbers 89 & 90, to a dock. Off this southern way are a number of buildings and yards, one marked as part of no. 92.
The owners were the trustees for Fanny H Clark, deceased, who owned 89 – 93 (see note above). The occupier: Charles Brock.
A 1913 trade directory shows Charles Brocker, grocer’s valuer, and Frederick Ernest Bryett, solicitor, at this address.Top
Number 93Owned by John Clarke: see no. 89 above. Carpenters, builders & undertakers: Charles Lance, carpenter is listed in 1839 & 1841 as a carpenter; in the 1845 directory there is a Charles Lance, tobacconist, presumably the same man though he may have moved to other premises as in 1851 John Hall, carpenter, employed 4 men & lived here; in the next census, 1861, he employed 3 men & 1 boy and described himself as a master carpenter, aged 50.
By 1871 Henry Dodge, builder & undertaker lived here, succeeded by James Barnes, builder & undertaker in 1881. He remained here in 1891 and 1901, by which time he was 72. He gave his birthplace as Milford on Sea, Hampshire. This could well be the James Barnes who built the local fire station in 1897.
I have a note that the Plymouth Brethren met at number 93 in 1902.
The Valuation on 24 April 1911 describes the property as a house, shop, workshop, lofts, cottage, yards, WC & premises occupied by F. Hidden and owned by Fanny H Clark deceased. It had been sold along with numbers 89 – 92 in 1910, 1916 and 1918. The property had a private passage way under the first floor in its western boundary leading to the ‘Common Way’ in rear. ‘In rear are some worn out and almost useless outbuildings as follows:- brick and tile workshop and loft about 21’ x 24’. Coal cellar. 2 rooms on first floor used by Plymouth Brethren as W…(?) Room or Chapel.'. The image of the Valuation page can be viewed, see link below.
In the 1913 directory between numbers 92 & 94 is the ‘Mission Room’ and this is listed as no. 93 in 1920. It is not listed in 1928 or later directories.Top
Catherine Wheel (94)Run by William Mantle in 1839 but taken over by Henry Girard or Girrad by 1841, at which time there were 6 lodgers and a female servant living here with Henry. He remained in 1851. In 1861 George Charles Collier was the landlord and he remained so in 1871, 1874, 1881. The 1890 directory lists him as ‘lighterman, barge & tug owner’ as well as running the Catherine Wheel. He is recorded here in the 1891 and 1901 census, by which time he was 72, and the latest indication no. 94 was a public house (as at June 2010) is from a 1907 trade directory. However it seems likely that George Charles died in 1905: a death is registered in this name in Brentford, the age at death (76) fits. (Incidentally the death of a George Collier, aged 78, was registered the same year in Brentford)
In the Kelly’s 1911 directory George Charles Collier’s son, George Henry Collier, a lighterman, is recorded at no. 94, however in the 1911 census George Henry Collier, lighterman, lived at 3 Somerset Road Brentford with his family and the Beckingham family, headed by Harry, a Thames lighterman, lived at no. 94.
George Henry may have moved back into no. 94, as he is noted as the occupier in the 1909/10 Valuation (which took place in May 1915), the owner being Fuller, Smith & Turner, Griffin Brewery Chiswick (freehold).
The description of no. 94 was prepared in May 1915: ‘an office and house (late ‘The Catherine Wheel’), annual rental £50. : ‘Old brick and tiled (as numbers 95 & 96). Office, passage, sitting room, kitchen and scullery. Old brick and tile store at back (below scullery) part of Catherine Wheel Yard (ie ground floor). 2 rooms and attic over scullery (used as WC). 2 attics, Moderate repair. Glazed brick facing ground floor front. Frontage 13’ 9”’.
There is a note that the property was sold for £300 on 16 September 1920.
In 1920 & 1928 trade directories G H Collier Ltd, lightermen are recorded at no. 94. There is no reference to no. 94 in 1933 & 1940 directories.Top
Number 95‘A small umbrella shop’ in the 1909/10 Valuation (dated May 1915 for this property), owned by Thomas D. Gomm of 59 Lincolns Inn Fields, WC, occupied by ‘Hodges’.
In the 1911 census Thomas F Hodges lived in this 6 roomed property with his wife and surviving 7 (of 12) children. Thomas was born in Bow, London and his occupation ‘hairdresser and umbrella maker’. Birthplaces of his family showed they settled in Brentford around 1904/5, having previously lived in Crawley, Staines and Wallington. His eldest son Fredrick M., 20, was a hairdresser.
Frederick Hodges, umbrella maker, is listed at this address in 1913 and 1920 trade directories: this may be the father or possibly his son (no death of a Thomas Hodges was recorded in Brentford in the 1911-1913 period). Frederick remained here in 1928 as a ‘shopkeeper’. There is no reference to no. 95 in 1933 and 1940 trade directories.
Number 96Pigot’s 1839 directory includes George Chandler, cheesemonger, New Brentford and in the 1841 census he was living at no. 996 with his wife Marian and Elizabeth Archer, who was ‘Independent’. By 1851 George B White, born Westminster, a 26 year old grocer, lived here alone.
In 1861 Frederick Holton, a butcher born in Brackley, Northants, lived here with his St Neots born wife, Mary A., and their two locally born small children. They had a live-in servant, Lydia Cornish, aged 14. The Holton family lived at no. 153 by 1881.
In 1871 Alexander Galloway, an upholsterer, lived at no. 96 with his wife and three sons. By 1881 no. 96 was occupied by local man, Henry James Brown, greengrocer and his wife Sarah, son, mother in law Ann Benham and monthly nurse (a person who attended a mother for a month after birth), Sarah Bissell aged 73. The enumerator added ‘see page 43 for infant’. Page 43 does indeed include Louisa Brown, 4 days old with a note about where she should have appeared. The Brown family remained at no. 96 in 1891, by which time two more daughters had been born (Louisa is not recorded with the family, she may have died); Ann Benham continued to live with the family.
By 1901 the Brown family had moved away and Jane M Morris, a widowed confectioner from Pembroke lived at no. 96; she had an older visitor Ellen Naish, also Pembroke born.
The 1911 census shows Mrs Fanny Ada Flexman, a widow of 41, ran a stationery and tobacconists shop from no. 96 and the 1909/10 Valuation, which took place in 1915, records her as occupier (£40 per annum rent), the owner being Mrs L F McKirdy of Ealing. The property had been sold in 1903 and was leased for 21 years from 1902.
It was ‘old’, of brick and tile construction, had a ‘useful shop front’, a shop and sitting room on the ground floor, in the basement a kitchen and cellar with outside WC, two rooms on the first floor and attics.
F A Freeman of Stratford was the leaser or leasee. Frank Freeman, tobacconist, is the last name recorded at no. 96 (1920/1 trade directory): there is no reference to no. 96 in directories dating 1928 – 1940. FreeBMD shows both Freeman and Flexman surnames in the Brentford area 1905 – 1925.Top
Number 97This property lies on the eastern corner of Catherine Wheel Yard. In 1841 and 1851 James Blacke(r)y ran a clothiers here : a big enterprise, in 1851 he employed 20 men. He was from London. By 1861 he had been succeeded by George Wright, tailor & outfitter, then in 1871 Henry G Gobbett, tailor.
In 1881 no. 97 was occupied by four grocer’s assistants and in 1891 George Newell or Newill, grocer and cheesemonger lived and worked here.
The building was not occupied when the 1901 census took place but continued to be used as a grocers: the 1909/10 Valuation shows 97 was ‘Home & Colonial Stores Ltd’ , owned by a Ernest Beard of 110 Westbourne Grove, W. It had been leased for 21 years from 25 Match 1894 and at the time of the valuation, May 1915, was a brick and slated property ‘well built but old’. The frontage to the High Street was 16’ and it was in ‘only moderate repair’.
Home & Colonial Stores remained here in 1920 and 1928 but had gone by 1933: there is no reference to no. 97 in the 1933 or 1940 trade directory.Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to any photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site.
References such as '1899 (A11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (A11). Details of 'A' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
Photos are sought of this area, particularly numbers 94 (Catherine Wheel PH) and 9586 Distant shot 1905 (A78)
88 Advert for Bakers’ Boots 1922 (L)
93 Image from Field Book showing details recorded around 1910
Catherine Wheel Yard – 1911 (C22)
Warning - download over 200k!1838 Tithe map modern numbers 86 to 97 are tithe property refs 74 to 63
Warning - download over 150k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Roads OffCatherine Wheel Yard between numbers 97 & 98; named after the PH
Published 2005; last updated August 2016