BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 29 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 351 to 363 High Street, Old BrentfordThis section lies on the north side of the High Street, from Bull Lane (later known as Pottery Road) to New North Road.
In 1865 the area immediately to the east of Bull Lane was open ground with a couple of wells followed by eight properties up to New North Road. Shortly before the New North Road was a close of four houses which may have been counted as part of the High Street.
By 1894 five new properties had been built where the wells lay, followed by the new Distillery Road, then four properties and North Road.
The road numbering took place in 1876, and apparently the five newly built properties after Bull Lane were numbered 351 – 355, then the eight properties extant in 1865 were numbered 356 – 363.
Number 351Built between 1865 and 1871.
An advert appears in St George’s Parish Magazine for 1889 ‘A. E. Steele, cowkeeper and dairyman, 351, High Street, Old Brentford, Families waited on twice daily’.
Albert Edward Steele, cowkeeper and dairyman, was also recorded at this address in an 1890 trade directory and in the 1891 census.
Walter H Eve, dairyman, was here in 1901, Frederick Charles Bishop, dairyman, 1913; Long & Pocock Ltd, dairy, 1928; United Dairies, who also operated at no. 215, in 1933. A Mrs A Johnson ran a laundry here in 1940.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records record the owner as Messr Dorey Bros Ltd, Brentford, who owned numbers 352 – 355 as well. No. 351 is described as a ‘house and shop at corner of Pottery Road with Advertising Station on the flank wall’. It was a larger than average property with a frontage of 17’ 6” and had a dairy shed to the rear and loft over with entrance from Pottery Road.Top
Number 352Built between 1865 and 1871. In 1891 John Farnsworth, naturalist from Latimer, Bucks, lived here. The enumerator has added the word ‘bird’ against the occupation.In 1901 John’s occupation was recorded as ‘hairdresser’. Peter Stuart found a baptism at St George’s church which explains the apparent change in trade:
Born: 25 May 1903
Baptised:23 July 1903
Lillian Georgina FARNSWORTH
Father: John Albert FARNSWORTH
Mother: Maud Lucy
Fathers Occupation: Taxidermist Natural and Hairdresser
Address: 352 High Street
The 1909/10 Valuation provides a little more information about the property: a terrace house and shop of four storeys with two rooms on the top and first floors and a shop, saloon (?) and WC on the ground floor; the basement had a store room and washhouse. The elevations needed pointing or painting. A frontage of 15' 3" made it larger than average; Messrs Dorey Bros Ltd, Brentford owned numbers 351 to 355.
George Picton Clinton was the occupier at around this time: he was a hairdresser and tobacconist age 35 born Hounslow; his wife Annie was 44, born Worthing Sussex as were their two daughters Annie Kate, 11, and Ada Amelia 10. The couple had been married 12 years and a third child had died, possible named Walter George as his name had been included (age 4) and crossed out. The property had 6 rooms. James Taylor was the final occupant, 34, a hairdressers assistant born Peckham (1911 census).
It would seem the hairdressing business offered a more reliable source of income than taxidermy and one operated here until at least 1940, run by Leonard F Martin (1913, 1928, 1933), Rex Cole (1940). The Cole family remained here in 1952: William C Cole and Tina Cole (electoral register).
But what happened to the Farnsworths? A search for the family in 1911 was unsuccessful but uncovered divorce papers (ancestry.co.uk).
Number 353Built between 1865 and 1871. The 1871 occupant was John Wright, a builder, aged 52 who was from Stonham Suffolk, and his family. James Hood, a bootmaker, was recorded here in 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. The birthplaces of his children in the 1881 census suggest he moved from Camberwell to Hammersmith, then settled in Brentford between 1872 & 1874.
Liz Smart writes ‘my mother was born in Brentford. Her name was Daphne Margaret Hood and she was born on March 21st 1919. Her father was William Thomas Hood and he appears on the 1901 census as living with his parents James and Hannah at 353 Brentford High Street. James was a shoemaker, and was born in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire.'
‘My grandfather, William Thomas Hood, was a choirmaster at St Lukes Church, Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush, where he founded a mason's like society called the Ironians. Comprised of existing and old choirboys, I believe this society endured into the 1980's. He had married Emily Richard in the 2nd quarter of 1908. I have recently acquired some old photographs which refer to 'Chips' Daisley, a past vicar of St Lukes - no idea of the dates.’
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 353 as like no. 354, which was a terrace house and shop with two rooms on the top floor and first floor, a shop, parlour, WC on the ground floor plus a basement with store room and wash house. Its High Street frontage was 15’ 3”. Numbers 351 – 355 were sold to Messr Dorey Bros Ltd in 1906. The annual rental was £40 6s, ie 15s 6d a week.
Miss Emily Wheeler, shop keeper, was at no. 353 when the 1913 trade directory was compiled. Three years later Frederick George McMaster Greenhough of 353 High Street volunteered with the Red Cross. He moved away to 59 Upper Grotts Road Twickenham by 1921 (Red Cross website).
Alfred John Dearlove ran a grocers shop here in 1928 and 1933. Yvonne Masson writes ‘Alfred John Dearlove was born 1.1.1893 at 10 Spencer Road, Putney, the son of Thomas and Sophia Dearlove. Thomas was my grandfather's step-brother. Alfred John married 1921 to Ivy Pope, at Pewsey, Wilts. They had two children, Thomas N., 1930-1931, and David J., b.1932. David was living at Sonning Common, Berks in 1989. Alfred John died 1939 at Brentford.’
Donald M Shaw, dairyman, was recorded at no. 353 in 1940. The 1952 electoral register records several different surnames at this address (flats?): Elizabeth M O'Keeffe; William G Shaw; Harold Sweeney and Joan Sweeney; Thomas Waites.Top
Number 354Built between 1865 and 1871. George Panrucker, grocer, lived here in 1881 & 1891. He was born in Walworth. In 1901 locally born John Dear, a punnet maker was recorded here, although he and his family were at no. 355 in 1891.
In 1907 Charles John Sharpe, undertaker, lived at no. 354. His son, Montague, born 1904, was admitted to Great Ormond Street Hospital for Sick Children in 1907 with jaundice (Historic Hospital Admission Registers Project (HHARP) – see web links for access to this database).
For a description of no. 354 see no. 353. No. 354 was let at 15s 6d a week and the front and back elevations needed pointing. It had a slightly larger yard than no. 355 and its High Street frontage was 14' 7".
By 1913 Mrs F Ballard was running dining rooms at this address.Top
Number 355Built between 1865 and 1871. Jonathan Jannaway, shoemaker, lived at this house on the western corner of Distillery Road, in 1871; he formerly lived at no. 381, where he was recorded between 1839 and 1861.
He was succeeded by John Dear, punnet maker whose household totalled 9 in 1881: seven children aged 1 month to 14 years and his wife Betsy born Dartford, Kent. Following the entry is a note ‘removed to Southall’ which may refer to a family who lived at a property off Distillery Road, as the following entry is for no. 356 High Street.
In the 1891 census John Dear headed a household of 9 including a lady described as a ‘relative’: all except his youngest son Albert were punnet makers. In 1901 he is listed at no. 354, whether he moved or the house was renumbered is not clear. Edward Carter, a butcher, is recorded at no. 355.
By 1907 William White, butcher, traded from no. 355.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 355 as a ‘house and shop at corner of Distillery Road’ with two rooms on the top floor, two rooms and a WC on the first floor and on the ground floor a private entrance, shop parlour with a very small yard at rear and another WC. The basement had a store room and washhouse and a third WC. The property had a 16’ 6” frontage to the High Street. The property was owned by Messrs Dorey Bros Ltd, Brentford who charged an annual rental of £30.
In 1911 no. 355 was occupied by Harry Giltrow (born Wing, Buckinghamshire) and his family (two sons two daughters), wife Fanny (born Hounslow). Living with the family were William Thomas Morgans, bakers assistant, 19, born Portsmouth Hampshire (working for Harry, who was a baker and confectioner) and May King, a 17 year old general domestic servant, born Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, who presumably helped Mrs Giltrow. The property had 5 rooms.
From 1913 to 1938 Frederick William Rendell, butcher traded from no. 355. There is no reference to no. 355 in a 1940 trade directory.Top
Number 356The 1865 OS map shows no. 356 with open ground to its west and adjoining a set of five terraced properties to its east - presumably numbers 357 to 361.
By 1881 Distillery Road had been built on the open ground to the west and 356 was the home of William J Roberts, manager of a railway carrier agents, and his wife, son and three daughters. The property was shared with Albert Morris, carrier and railway agents' clerk, his wife and baby girl. They may have both been employees of Carter Paterson as the 1890 trade directory entry for 356 is ‘Carter, Paterson & Co Ltd, London & suburban carrier’. (See details of a fatal accident involving a Carter Paterson vehicle).
In 1891 no. 356 was occupied by George J Dorrington from Roydon, Essex and his family (more details including a photo). George and his family remained here in 1901, occupying four rooms in the property; William Horney, ‘foreman horse keeper’, and his wife, sister and two children occupied another three rooms.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records describe no. 356 ‘House, warehouse, stables, garage & premises at corner of High Street and Distillery Road’. 'As regards the house:
At rear are stables with accommodation on the first floor for 33 horses. There is a loose box and farriers shop. On the Ground floor there are 38 stalls and a storage shed. (See note below about the stables)
At extreme rear is a shed used as a garage for 9 motor lorries. Note the whole frontage to High Street’: 94’ 6”.’
The owner and occupier were Carter Paterson & Co Ltd, 128 Goswell Road, EC, also recorded at this address in 1913. Jean J notes 'George James Dorrington's name appears on the Electoral Register for 1914 still at 356, so presumably the carrier business continued until the Great War and may have collapsed owing to the requisitioning of horses by the military.'
Jean adds 'There is a detailed description on line of the Camberwell premises of Carter, Paterson and Co. which throws some light on the Brentford establishment. This also had horses stabled on ground and 1st floor and this may have been the pattern of construction used by the company at the other 18 depots it ran.'
There is no reference to no. 356 in the 1928 or later directories, presumably it was demolished between 1914 and 1928.Top
Numbers 357-360The 1865 OS map shows a larger terraced property lay next to 356, followed by three smaller terraces with yards (358-360) and a fifth larger terrace (Barge Aground, no. 361) followed by a court of small properties. In 1891 numbers 357 to 360 were not recorded and by 1894 the OS map shows they had been demolished and their yard areas built over as an extension to 356.
The 1881 census records people at all of numbers 357 to 360:
Number 360In 1871 and 1881 Henry Henderson, lath render, lived next to the Barge Aground PH. The building was presumably demolished in the 1881 – 1890 period.
‘Modern brick built and slated building, built in 1902’ owned by Fuller, Smith & Turner, Brewers, Chiswick and occupied by W. Barnes at the time of the 1909/10 Valuation. This new property was numbered ‘361’ at this point but originally was no. 360.
The Barge Aground PH (361)(I) includes a reference to the Barge Aground formerly known as the ‘Prince George’ in documents dating 1707 – 1718; then in 1776 leasing of the Barge Aground by Charles Purvis of Darsham, Suffolk to John Arnott of Old Brentford, bargemaster and victualler: Consideration: £25 rent for a term of 21 years on condition of an outlay of £150 in rebuilding, with covenant to repay £100 on expiry of the lease; in 1780 a reference to a ‘covenant to take beer from Mr. Graves' Brewhouse in Chiswick’.
In November 2017 Vic Rosewarne advised Robert Perress is listed as the licensee of the Barge Aground at the 1828 Licensing sessions. Neil Smith provided a photo of a saltglaze spirit flask used at the Barge Aground when a Perress was the licensee. This could be Robert or William Perress: the Pigots 1839 directory shows the Barge Aground was run by William Perress.
The 1841 census shows William Perress was a victualler, although his pub was not named, age 30 (ie 30 to 34) and with him lived Mary Ann, 35 and two girls, Sarah? 2 and Georgina 1, all born in Middlesex. The GRO births index confirms ‘Laura Jane’ and ‘Georgiana’ Perress births were registered at Brentford in 1838 and 1840, mother’s maiden name Goshawk. The marriage of William Perress to Mary Ann Goshawk took place by licence on 2 July 1836 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster. At the time they were both of that parish. The 1841 household also included two servants: John Creswell & Sarah Thomas? both 15; and Stephen Hillier, 20, bricklayer (born outside Middlesex) and Willliam Thomas?40, porter, who may have boarded there.
In 1851 William J Barker, lighterman and victualler, headed a household of 12, including Stanislau Albert Ples..Rowski, travelling bookseller born Poland. 1861: John Colsell, lighterman lived here: no indication that it was a PH. In 1871, 1874 and 1881 William Marsh, licensed victualler, ran the Barge Aground. An 1890 trade directory lists Thomas George Dorey here (possibly related to Dorey and Co., builders of the girls school in the early 1890s). The 1894 OS map shows the Barge Aground projected slightly on to the pavement and had an open area to its west and an old court of properties to its east. TG Dorey had moved to the Six Bells at no. 149 by 1901. Returning to the Barge Aground, in the 1891 census Thomas W Reynolds, licensed victualler lived here; in 1901 William A Best from Huddersfield.
The Barge Aground was rebuilt in 1902 (S21) and may have taken over the site previously used by no. 362 which was demolished in the same year. This would explain why it is recorded at no. 361 in 1881 and 1891 censuses but at no. 362 in the Valuation of 1909/10 and the 1911 census.
Unfortunately the 1909/10 Valuation does not give much detail; there is a note ‘Unable to inspect 25/8/1914 although notice previously sent’. The frontage was 35’ 6” and the owners Fuller, Smith & Turner, Brewers, Chiswick.
The 1911 census shows Arthur Thomas Groves, licensed victualler, age 51, with his wife Charlotte and their three children, Maria (17, dressmaker), Nellie (16) and Arthur Thomas (8) at 362 High Street. Sidney King, 23, barman and lodger, and Dollie Wise, 24 a visitor, completed the household. The property had 5 rooms.
In a 1913 trade directory the Barge Aground is recorded at number 362, still run by Arthur Thomas Groves; 1928: Henry Longhurst; 1933 & 1940: George Pinchin.
The OS map published in 1961 from a survey the previous year (TQ1877NW) shows a ‘PH’ at no. 362 with an entry to its eastern side. The Barge Aground was demolished in the 1960s (S21).Top
Number 362The tithe shows Charles Lutwyche Allen owned property on either side of North Road: a house, orchard and garden on the western corner with the High Street; and a stable and yard to the east behind properties fronting the High Street. He occupied the High Street house and a George Allen owned ground (described as ‘garden’ ie market garden) backing on to no. 362. Charles Allen occupied the house in 1841, his occupation ‘Asst’. In the 1851 census he remained in this area, occupation ‘Assistant overseer’.
The London Metropolitan Archives hold an abstract of title dating from 1840 for Charles Lutwyche Allen, market gardener of Old Brentford, which describes his property and offers a glimpse of what was here in earlier times:
Great House and orchard in Old Brentford; also messuage and site of former messuage in Old Brentford abutting south on the street leading from Old to New Brentford; also small garden; also piece of land formerly belonging to an ancient cottage; also messuage with yard and washhouse.
Also 1 acre of garden, enclosed with a brick wall; also ½ acre garden ground in Old Brentford Field; parcel of ground on north side of road in Old Brentford; also another piece of ground adjoining North to the aforesaid piece measuring east to west 15 ft. 9 inches and south to north 9 feet, together with Meeting House, Vestry Room and premises over the same.
John Wesley stayed here (C56). Is the reference to a Meeting House above coincidental? The mention of an orchard at Allen’s ‘Great House’, also noted in the tithe, suggests this was no. 362.
Charles L Allen was buried at Ealing St Mary on 14 July 1847 age 64.
Locally born John Mills lived at or near no. 362 from around 1845, when he is included in a trade directory as a cabinet maker. In the 1851 census he was an undertaker and cabinet maker employing one man; in 1861 an undertaker and builder employing two men; 1871 a builder and undertaker; in 1881 a parish clerk, sexton and builder. In 1881 he was living with his wife Charlotte and three daughters remained at home. He died in 1891 and a stained glass window in St George’s Church commemorates him ‘In memory of John Mills for 50 years Parish Clerk of St George’s. Died March 8th 1891’.
By 1901 Charles Bantock, butcher from Lavenham, Suffolk, lived here with two other small households; he previously lived at number 382; number 362 was demolished in 1902 (C) and the site appears to have been subsumed into the Barge Aground.
Number 363The number of properties between the Barge Aground and North Road varies from 1 to 4 in different censuses, so it is uncertain who lived here until the 1881 census which included house numbers. However a Miss Louisa J Wright, schoolmistress may have lived here in 1871.
Richard Christie is recorded here in censuses 1881 – 1901 and an 1890 trade directory as school attendance officer, stationer & school attendance officer, newsagent and finally School Board Officer. He was born in Ireland.
In 1909/10 no. 363 is described as a ‘detached house and shop at West corner of North Road’, owned by Fuller, Smith & Turner, Brewers, Chiswick and in ‘very fair repair’.
In 1911 Alfred Rollins, 43, Collector Gas works, lived here with his wife Kate Mary, 41 and two sons Alfred Clarence (16, junior clerk mineral water works) and Harold Victor (13, school boy). All were Brentford-born apart from Kate Mary who was born in Knackholt, Kent. Also in the household was William Henry Edwin Bevan, age 30, a barber born Llangibby in Cardiganshire; he was an assistant to Rollins and a married man although there is no sign of his wife. The property had 5 rooms.
Trade directories show no. 363 was a stationers: Alfred Rollins (1913); Ernest C Pooley (1928, 1933) then tobacconists run by Arthur P Tristram (1940). The OS map published in 1961 from a survey the previous year (TQ1877NW) shows a gap: no. 363 had been demolished.Top
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site - suggest you check the Properties - photos link (the navigation area to the left).
References such as '1899 (X11)' indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of 'X' are available: see Mainly paper sources page; '11' refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.351 A Steele ca 1888 (D23); advert A E Steele 1889 St George's Parish Magazine (L)
352 ca 1888 (D23)
359,360 Advertising hoardings in pre 1902 photo (C55)
361 Barge Aground Inn: spirit flask from 1830s or 1840s (Neil Smith); pre 1902 (C55); pre-1940; 1940s/50s?; 1961 (S21)
362 Bantock, pork butcher pre 1902 (C56) 363 pre 1902 (C55)
Warning - download over 180k! 1839/41 Tithe Map modern numbers 351 - 363 have tithe property refs 230 - 227
Warning - download over 100k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers
Roads OffBull Lane, later known as Pottery Road, between numbers 350 and 351
Distillery Road between numbers 355 and 356
New North Road, by 1891 just 'North Road', between numbers 363 and 364
Published 2005; last updated November 2017