BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Home -> Property Intro -> Section 27 -> Next Section | Previous Section
From 319 to 334 High Street, Old BrentfordThis northern side section of the High Street is opposite the Royal Hotel and includes several very long standing businesses and two lodging houses. The Drum public house on the corner of Drum Lane (or Ealing Road as it was later known) marks the western end. St George’s Vicarage lay on the opposite side of the High Street until its demolition in 1930. There are a number of photos dating from 1945/6 of this stretch of the High Street, see links below.
In 1965 the new Red Lion pub was built on the eastern side of Ealing Road to replace the old Red Lion (no. 318), which was demolished in 1970. The new Red Lion was demolished to make way for McDonalds fast-food outlet in the 1990s (S23, S24).
In 1888 numbers 330 to 334 were put up for sale (Times Online):
Sales by Messrs Jno W Morley and Letts by auction, Tuesday 24 July 1888, Tokenhouse Yard, Bank of England
BRENTFORD Nos. 330, 331, 332, 333, 334 High Street, Old Brentford. Freehold shops, houses, stabling and large piece of land in rear, with extra frontage to back road, suitable for the erection of a block of artisans’ dwellings, public schools, offices, manufacturing premises, omnibus or tramway depots, carriers and other requiring ample space.
The same block of properties was owned freehold by Frederick Nash of Melrose, Carlyle Road, Ealing when the 1909/10 Valuation took place.
The trade directories for 1928 and later do not list numbers 319, 320 or 321.
The Drum PH (319)A C17 coaching inn, run by Thomas Begley in 1839 who is listed in the tithe return as the occupant. A Miss Summer owned The Drum and no. 320 next door at the time of the tithe return. The Drum was run by George Norman in 1841 (when he had two travellers staying), Thomas Hadley in 1851 (when he was a ’bricklayer’ age 59 and had 8 lodgers whose birthplace was simply described as ’British Subject’) and 1861 age 68. He died in 1868, aged 75.
His son, Thomas Hadley junior, took over and was 47 in 1871, describing his occupation as ’plasterer and licensed victualler’; he was living in Pottery Road by 1881, occupation plasterer.
Meanwhile by 1874 locally born James William Gomm was running the inn and he remained there in 1881 and 1891, at which point he had 14 lodgers staying there. He died in 1893 age 53. 1894-99 directories have another James William Gomm, probably his son. He died in 1899 age 39. In 1901 Stephen Gomm was in charge, younger brother to James William junior and there were 18 lodgers staying at the Drum. He’s in directories 1902-4, but died in 1905 age 42. Then there’s a James Stephen Gomm in directories 1905 & 1908, when it closed probably the eldest son of William James Gomm. See the Gomm family page for more details about the family. Thanks to Mary Marshall for additions regarding the Drum landlords.
The building was altered in 1908 (C53). The Valuation Record covers number 319 and numbers 1 to 3 Ealing Road together. ’This is very old property and chiefly constructed of wood and brick’. It was sold for £625 in 1908 and is described as a ’large corner shop and three lock-up shops’; there are no details of the owner or occupier, maybe the Valuer was not able to inspect the premises: there is a note regarding a Form 75A being sent to ’Robinson?’ on 11 January 1915.
The 1911 census shows the Hibbert family of four and Lardeaux family of three at this address, the latter being boarders. Thomas Hibbert, wife Elizabeth, both 50, were wardrobe dealers, their daughter Maud, 17, a blouse machinist, son Thomas, 12 at school. Thomas senior was born in Dublin, Ireland, his wife Devonshire, children London. Sydney and Lucy Lardeaux had a baby Raymond, 10 months, born Walworth, so had moved into Brentford since then: Sydney was 30, a shop assistant (boot trade), born Elstow Bedfordshire. The house had eight rooms.
In the 1913 trade directory a Mrs E Hibberd, Hibbert? clothier, is recorded at no. 319. The building was demolished in 1921 and a new Red Lion opened on the site in 1965 (C53).Top
Number 320The property next to the Drum was a grocers shop for over 60 years, owned by Miss Summer in 1841 and occupied by John Conaway; in the 1841 census Henry Conaway, grocer, aged 35 is recorded here. He is probably related to the James Conaway who left a PCC will in 1841 and the John Conaway, also a grocer of Old Brentford, whose PCC will was proved in 1801. In 1851 the household was headed by Mary Conaway, a widow and Henry her son, also widowed, lived here with a shopman and a female servant.
By 1861 Alfred John Evans or Evens had taken over the grocery business and he remained here until at least 1881.
An advert appears in the 1889 St George’s Parish Magazine for ’H. Entecott, wholesale and retail grocer and provision merchant ’Best and cheapest in town for Tea etc.’, 320 High Street.
By 1891 Richard W Dunn, from Deal Kent and ’deaf from childhood’ was running the shop, then Henry Smith, locally born, in 1901.
When the 1909/10 Valuation took place it was described as ’very old and somewhat dilapidated’, owned by Catherine A Hooper (who also owned no. 321), with a timber built WC in the yard. The frontage to the High Street was 17’ 9″ and the plot depth was 75’. The 1911 census shows Robert George Read at this address, with his wife May Edith, aged 30 and 29, born Norwich and Sarena, Canada respectively. Living with them was widower John James Case, age 40, born Victoria, Australia, a plasterer, relationship to head of household could be Sp Father? Also 4 children, Robert Stanley 9, Ivy May 6, Ruby Evelyn 3 and baby Beatrice Daisy 7 months, the last three were born in Brentford, Robert junior in Richmond Surrey. The couple had been married 10 years and had 6 children of whom the four above survived, their home had 7 rooms.
The 1911 census shows Robert George Read at this address, with his wife May Edith, aged 30 and 29, born Norwich and Sarena, Canada respectively. Living with them was widower John James Case, age 40, born Victoria, Australia, a plasterer, relationship to head of household could be Sp Father? Also 4 children, Robert Stanley 9, Ivy May 6, Ruby Evelyn 3 and baby Beatrice Daisy 7 months, the last three were born in Brentford, Robert junior in Richmond Surrey. The couple had been married 10 years and had 6 children of whom the four above survived, their home had 7 rooms.
Robert Read remained here in 1913; no. 320 is not listed in 1928 to 1940 trade directories.Top
Number 321Joseph Walton, aged 33, blacksmith lived here when the 1851 census was taken and remained here in 1861 to 1891, working as a greengrocer.
Edward Collett took over the business by the time of the 1901 census and in 1911 was 52, married to Harriett for 27 years, bearing 8 children. Three daughters remained at home: Milly, 20, a dressmaker; May, 19, a shop assistant to her father; and Nelly, 17, a ’compositor printing’. The whole family was born in Isleworth and their home had 5 rooms.
Edward Collett was listed in the 1913 trade directory as a fruiterer. The property is not listed in the 1928 to 1940 trade directories.
Number 322A tobacconists run by Thomas George Selwood in 1874 and 1881, and by William Ricket in 1890, 1891 and 1901. William was recorded as a ’police pensioner and tobacconist’ in the 1901 census to see Muriel Wallington’s contribution about the Ricket family and William’s descendants.
In 1911 William’s occupation is recorded ’Pensioner Metropolitan Police’; he was 73, a widower; living with him was his unmarried daughter Emily Sarah, age 53, housekeeper and assistant.
William Ricket is also recorded here in the 1913 trade directory; in 1928 to 1940 no. 322 remained a tobacconists, run by Miss Emily Sarah Ricket 1928 and George W Wood in 1933 and 1940.Top
Numbers 323 & 324In the 1871 census, 324 was a lodging house run by Elizabeth Marriner, lodging house keeper who lived here with her 3 adult sons and 19 lodgers Twenty years later it is described as a ’Common Lodging House’ in the 1891 census, at which time 22 lodgers lived here, some local, others from Bristol, Norwich and ’Canterbury, New Zeland’. At no. 323 lived Hannah Webb, lodging house keeper, and presumably the owner in 1891; otherwise 323 was a butchers from 1861 to 1901.
Kellys 1899 Directory for Middlesex records two registered lodging houses in Brentford, one being run by John Lock at 324 High Street. In 1901 Mary Lock, 69, was the lodging house keeper. 24 boarders were recorded, all but four being men and as well as labourers and gardeners the following occupations were noted: 5 pedlar/hawkers, wheelwright, 2 cooks domestic, cattle drover, ventriloquist, saddler, tailor, laundry domestic, house painter and house painters labourer, lighterman.
The 1911 census has two pages for no. 324 (324 and 324a) and 30 people were recorded as living in its ten rooms, headed by Walter Taylor and his wife Jane Hawford Taylor. Walter was a Pensioner Turncock and his wife the manageress (of the lodging house). Living with them was their son Thomas, a fitter on the railway age 30 and single, and grandson Edwin age 8. Their 26 lodgers were mainly single and male (there were two married couples and one child aged 4) and occupations included 7 pedlars, 5 general labourers, 2 painters, 2 masons, a labourer at the brickworks, a bottle washer, carpenter, steel worker (smelter), engine fitter, engine driver, laundry (ironer), dressmaker and a general domestic servant. Four were born in Brentford and another three were locally born (Mortlake, Kew, Twickenham), others were born in Cornwall, Staffordshire,Yorskshire, Hampshire, Wiltshire and Edinburgh.
When the 1909/10 Valuation took place numbers 323 and 324 were evaluated separately, there is note in both regarding a form 75A being sent to a W J Strang on 17 December 1914: presumably he was the owner. No. 323 had a stable and slaughter house to the rear and was ’to let’, according to the tenant of no. 324, who provided information to the Valuer. No.324 is described as a lodging house and there is a simple plan showing an L-shaped building. The 1913 street directory has ’Walter Taylor, lodging house’ at no. 324.
Street directories from 1928 to 1940 record Nelson Larkham at this address and he remained here until at least 1952: Dorothy S Larkham, Ellen Larkham and Nelson C E Larkham (electoral register). There is an article about Nelson in the West Middx FHS Journal, June 1992.Top
Number 325Another butchers, run by William Smith (1839 Pigot directory and tithe return); in 1841 Ann Smith butcher is recorded here in the census. She was succeeded by James Swan (1851), James Machell (1871, by which point he was 78), then James Bovingdon (1881, 1891, 1901 and 1913).
When the 1909/10 Valuation records were prepared there is a note that the owner, James Bovindon had just died and the owners were his executors, Thomas Bovingdon of 18 Hamilton Road Brentford and Christopher Bovingdon, ’in occupation’. It was a terrace house and shop of 3 storeys with a frontage of 19’ to the High Street.
’At rear is a slaughter house and 3-stall stable. Another stable at rear and at extreme rear with entrance from Walnut Tree Road is a 2-stall stable with loft over.’
In 1911 James Bovingdon was 69 and a ’butcher out of business’, which was dittoed for his wife Mary Anne, 55. They had been married 12 years and had one son, as there were two sons at home (Frederick, 31, late a meal carrier and Semaj, 12, a schoolboy) presumably this was a second marriage. Their home had six rooms and a shop.
By 1928 Edwin State was running a grocers shop from here, also in 1933. By 1940 Thomas Bovingdon, fruiterer had taken over the business. Adverts carried in Brentford Football Club programmes from the late 1940s and early 1950s show A. Pink, Noted Eel Shop, at this address, ’Two minutes from the Ground’ (thanks to Dave Stoneleigh).Top
Number 326A property on the western corner of Newens Alley or Newens Yard. No. 326 was occupied by Griffith Farley, ’French polisher’, in 1881 and ’shopkeeper’ in 1890. In 1891 he remained at this address, aged 64. Thomas Bovingdon was recorded as living in a cottage at the back.
In 1901 Arthur Fishlock, housepainter and sweetshop owner lived here and remained in 1911, by which time he had three daughters (6, 9 and 12) and was a collector’s assistant for the gas company. Arthur Fishlock noted no. 326 had 4 rooms in the 1911 census.
The 1909/10 Valuation describes no. 326 as a terrace house and shop, with an attic on the top floor, one room on the first floor and a shop, parlour and old washhouse with loft over on the ground floor. ’Another dilapidated building at rear with loft over, WC. Very old cottage property’. This may be where Thomas Bovingdon lived in 1891. Owner as no. 325, the Bovingdon family.
In 1911 Arthur Fishlock, 40 born Southwark, collectors assistant for the Gas Company, lived here with his wife Emily 37 and their three daughters, Winifred 12, Doris 9 and Ellaline 6 to all the females were Brentford-born. Their home had four rooms and the couple had been married 13 years, their three children surviving.
1913-1933 trade directories record Arthur Fishlock, confectioner, at no. 326.
In 1938 no. 326 was ’(The) Standard Window Cleaning Service’ and there is no reference to no. 326 in a 1940 directory.
Ian Anthony’s family ran a greengrocers at no. 326 from late 1953: ’We did not live above the shop but in a flat a few miles away in Acton. The upstairs of the shop was uninhabited and I remember it being very dark and quite scary up there ! My mother recalled finding some plaques upstairs which turned out to be "fire tokens" probably from the late 18th century’. Read more of Ian’s memories.Top
Number 327Newens the bakers lived here in 1839 (Pigots directory and tithe return) and possibly earlier: the 1826 Pigot directory records a Henry Newens, bakers and flour dealers, in Old Brentford.
The house had an alley on its west side, recorded in the 1851 census as Newens Yard and in the 1881 census as Newens Alley. In other censuses it is not mentioned which may explain why marrying up the households is not easy. Elijah Aldridge is recorded in the 1851 census in Newens Yard but 10 years later his wife Ann Aldridge is recorded on the High Street. The gap next to the Newens home is visible in the tithe map, at which point the property was owned by ’Bailey’.
The Newens references are:
There are references to the Newens family in ’The King of Brentford’ by Robert Henrey, published 1946: ’Edward the Seventh was once held up for ten minutes in a traffic block and the royal car was jammed between the vicarage slope and the bakery opposite, owned by jovial Mr Newens and the two Misses Newens, whose weighty bosoms and rolled-up hair gave them dignity and importance’. The royal traffic jam must have taken place between 1902 and 1910.
When the 1909/10 Valuation took place no. 327 was owned and occupied by ’H J Newens’ and was a post office, house, shop and premises. It was a 3 storey property with a bakehouse, a dilapidated stable for 2 horses and a coachhouse with exit to Baileys Row at rear.
In the 1911 census Henry James Newens was head of a household of ten at 327 High Street, a baker aged 57, with four unmarried sisters all ’assisting in business’: Ada 53, Emily 49, Rosie (Rosalie birth 1866?) 46, Laura 40: all born in Brentford. The other five living in the household were men aged 23 to 33, four of whom worked in the bakehouse and one was an ’oarsman’? Two of the men were married (but no sign of their wives, and neither had surviving children). One was born in Germany, three in unspecified places in England and the oarsman, Robert Barnes, was born in Brentford. They squeezed in to the 6 room house somehow.
H J Newens, the son of Edward Newens, was a jovial-looking councillor ca 1915 (photo from Chiswick Library’s Local Studies).
By 1928 Thomas J Ford had taken over, he too ran both a bakery and PO, as did the magnificently name Frederick Justus Landgrebe (1933) and William Shields (1940). Frederick Landgrebe is probably the 18 year old pastry cook listed in the 1901 census of Richmond at 11 Jocelyn Road: his father Justus Landgrebe was a retired baker and naturalized British Subject born Germany.Top
Number 328In 1901 this was a lodging house run by Thomas Talor, 32, with 29 boarders. His boarders were all single males aged 16-72 and born in English counties. As well as labourers his guests included a photographer, tailor, 3 navvies, laundry dollyman, 4 general dealers, blacksmith and 'potman barman'.
Two sheets signed by HJ Newens of no. 327 records 24 boarders at 328 and 328a High Street in 1911. They occupied ten rooms, were single men except the manager of the lodging house, all were boarders and occupations were 16 general labourers, 3 pedlars, 2 general dealers, a tailor and a schoolboy. Most were born within 10 miles of, or actually in, Brentford; one was born in Birmingham ’Staffordshire’ and one was a Lancastrian.
Number 329Henry Stacey, tailor, lived here at the time of the 1841 and 1851 censuses. By 1871 Frederick Nash, rag merchant lived here, employing three men. He is recorded at this address in the 1881 census and an 1890 trade directory, where the entry says ’rag and metal merchant’. In the 1891 census the building was not occupied and it is not noted in the 1901 census. However Frederick Nash, rag iron & metal merchant is included in the 1913 trade directory and in 1928 ’Frederick Nash & Sons, rag merchants’.
The 1909/10 Valuation Records describe it as having a ’dirty old shop’ on the ground floor and a very large garden. ’At rear is a large rag sorting building with a loft over. At extreme rear is another sorting shed with exit to Walnut Tree Road. The whole of the property including the sheds at rear is very old and very dilapidated’. At this point the owner was H. G. Gomm of Drayton Court Hotel, Ealing who let the property for an annual rent of £40. Frederick Nash owned no. 330 but lived at ’Melrose’, Carlyle Road Ealing.
The 1911 census has no schedule for no. 329, it was described as a ’lock-up shop’.Top
Number 330George William Andrews owned numbers 330 to 334 when the tithe enumeration took place in 1839/41: he was a corn merchant and lived at no. 334.
Robert Hall, chemist and druggist, lived here in 1871 and 1881.
Numbers 330-334 were put up for sale in 1888 (see above). By 1898 William Heath, undertaker (and Jan Chinnery’s maternal grandmother’s brother), lived and worked here: Thomas Heath previously ran an undertakers from Drum Lane in 1878. If you are interested in the Heath family, see Jan Chinnery’s list of Heath entries extracted from trade directories.
Jan Chinnery advises that by 1903 W G Barratt was running the undertakers business. Roberta Ashworth has researched the Barratt family.
At the time of the 1909/10 Valuation the property was owned by Frederick Nash: see no. 329 for more about the Nash family. The property had been sold, along with numbers 331 to 334 and stabling, for £1300 in 1893. It is described as a brick built terraced house and shop on 3 floors plus a basement with a High Street frontage of 14’ 9″.
Roberta Ashworth has provided details for the occupants of no. 330 taken from the 1911 census:
Note the ’years married’, recorded as 5 years, on Edith’s entry.
Roberta Ashworth also provided electoral register details showing Albert Henry Day and Emily Day lived at 330 High Street 1920-1937 (possibly a flat above the undertakers). The couple remained here in 1952: Albert H Day and Emily S Day (electoral register).
An advert in ’The Official Guide’ to Brentford & Chiswick, published in 1936, includes an advert for Barratt’s showing the business was founded in 1781. The premises at 330 High Street continued to be used as an undertakers by W G Barratt until at least 1950.
Paul adds ’no. 330 can be seen in the 1957 film Hell Drivers along with next door, George Adnams newsgents used as a location where Stanley Baker goes to see his brother, David McCallum who runs the newsagents in the film’.Top
Number 331A Robert Banyon, lighterman is included in Pigot’s 1839 directory for Brentford and he is recorded in the tithe enumeration, 1841 and 1851 censuses at no. 331: this was described as a house with garden and outbuildings in the tithe enumeration. In 1851 he was 74, a widower, with three adult children at home and Emma Field, servant. There is a PCC will of Robert Banyon, 1852.
By 1881 331 was a refreshment house run by James Skinner, then dining rooms or a coffee house run by the Dean family (1890, 1891, 1901, 1913).
Numbers 330-334 were put up for sale in 1888 (see above).
When the 1909/10 Valuation took place no. 331 was described as having a frontage of 16’ 10″ to the High Street and ’a large piece of ground at rear’: this is visible in the tithe map and the 1894 OS map to see below for links.
In 1928 and 1933 Arthur Henry Bradshaw, ham & beef dealer had his shop here; by 1940 he had been succeeded by Albert Poole, ham & beef dealer.
The 1945/6 photo shows no. 331 as Adnams, newsagent, however the 1940 trade directory lists George Adnams, newsagent at no. 332. It seems unlikely the photo is wrong and it also seems unlikely that these properties were re-numbered during the war. In 1933 Pinchbeck, newsagents, used numbers 332 and 333 (but this doesn’t explain how no. 332 became no. 331). The 1952 electoral register confirms the house no.: George A Adnams and Doris S Adnams at 331 High Street.
See note above for 330 re: no. 331’s film appearance.Top
Number 332Richard Neill was the occupier at the time of the tithe enumeration (1839/41) and there is a tobacconist of this name in the 1839 Pigot directory. By the time of the 1841 census Mary Neille, tobacconist, aged 35 (ie up to 39) lived here with Gabriel Hutchinson, a carpenter and an 8 year old girl, Anne Fisher.
By 1851 Charles Lance, carpenter later sergeant of the Royal Westminster Militia no pension, lived here.
Richard Rapkin(s), a tailor lived here in 1861 to he was living near no. 310 in 1851.
Philip Moore, who alternated between being recorded as a blacksmith and a tobacconist, lived here in 1871, 1874, 1881, 1890 and 1891. He was born in Blofield, Norfolk.
Numbers 330-334 were put up for sale in 1888 (see above).
The property was then used as by confectioners (Mrs Jane Ricket, 1901; Mrs Ada Stratford, 1913). The 1909/10 Valuation around this time described 332 ″this is very old property, probably about 300 years old″. No. 332 was a ″terraced house and shop of 3 floors:
In 1911 no. 332 was a confectioner’s shop and home, occupied by Walter W Stratford and his wife Ada L, both 47, married 25 years, three children all surviving. Walter was born in Margate, Kent, his wife was from Brentford and assisted in the shop, as did son Francis W, age 24, born Margate. Albert Willis, age 14, born Ealing, lived with the family but no occupation or relationship to Walter is recorded. The property had four rooms.
Mrs Ada Stratford, confectioner, was recorded at this address in a 1913 directory.
No. 332 was a newsagents in 1928 (Josiah Porter), 1933 (Charles D Pinchbeck) and 1940 (George Adnams) to but see notes under no. 331 regarding a possible renumbering of this stretch.
John Walker (see no. 303) writes ’No. 332 The furniture store was owned by Wilton Goddard (brother of Stan Goddard). This shop later specialised more in electrical goods rather than furniture.’
I replied: ’I haven’t come across Wilton Goddard at this address, various newsagents were recorded here in the 1928-1940 trade directories. I did wonder if this stretch of the High Street was renumbered in the C20 as I had difficulty in tying down the details from the trade directory and the 1945/6 photo.’
’I found Wilton Joseph Goddard, electrical engineer at no. 267 in 1940, on the corner of Cannon Alley. Percy Goddard, furniture dealer, was at no. 277 in 1928, 1933 & 1940 and before him Joseph Goddard, china dealer (1890, 1891, 1901, 1913). I haven’t come across Stanley Goddard yet, but this could be because the trade directories I’m using include business rather than personal names. There was a Stanley Goddard born in 1899 son of Frank Goddard who was a glass & china merchant just off the High Street in the Market Place in 1901. I am sure Frank must be a relative of Joseph but haven’t found out how.’Top
Number 333Joseph Russett ’labourer at brew house’ is recorded here in 1841 and 1851, he is also listed as the occupier in the tithe enumeration 1839/41. He was succeeded by Edward Richardson, butcher (1861) and Edward Bennett, plumber (1871). Robert Gornall, a tailor and originally from Liverpool is recorded here 1881 through 1901.
Numbers 330-334 were put up for sale in 1888 (see above).
In the 1909/10 Valuation, no. 333 was described as being the same as no. 332.
From 1913 to 1940 there were regular changes of hand and business. The 1945/6 photo shows a rundown shop, built at the same time as no. 332, which was assessed as about 300 years old.Top
Number 334George William Andrews owned this larger property on the corner of Eaton Place and four properties up the road, numbers 330 to 333 at the time of the tithe return. His occupation was ’mealman, coal and corn merchant’ in the 1841 and 1851 censuses. In 1861 his occupation was ’boatman’, in 1871 he reverted to corn merchant. He is listed in the 1874 trade directory and a Miss Andrews is recorded in the Private Residents section. In the 1881 census Miss Emma Andrews, ’lady’, lived at no. 334.
Numbers 330-334 were put up for sale in 1888 (see above).
In an 1890 trade directory no, 334 is recorded as ’Andrew Pears esq president and Samuel Garratt secy, Brentford Liberal & Radical Club’ and resident here in the 1891 census was John Smith, bricklayer from Norfolk.
In the 1909/10 Valuation Record this was one of the five buildings (numbers 330 to 334 High Street) owned by Frederick Nash of Ealing; 334 was the highest valued at £1000. The building is described as a double-fronted club house and premises known as the ‘Brentford Liberal Club. It had three rooms on the top floor, a large concert room and flat over the new billiards room and two other rooms on the first floor and on the ground floor were a large entrance hall, two card rooms and several cupboards. There was also a kitchen, a large washhouse and WC. A passsage way at the side did not belong to the premises.
In the basement was a cellar; ’at the rear of the premises and adjoining the same has been built a Bar room and large Billiard room (2 or 3 tables), 2 WCs and a urinal’. ’The whole premises have recently been redecorated, in poor repair in 1909’.
In 1909 the garden extended to and included 2 old stables on Walnut Tree Road, ’but since that date a large portion (of the garden) has been cut off’. The frontage to the High Street was 30’ 2″.
The next item listed in the 1909/10 Valuation was stabling for 334.
The 1911 census describes no. 334 as ’Club’ and John Smith and his wife and son lived here. John was a worker at the ’Bricklayers Brewery’, age 61, his wife Julia, 59 was at home, son Albert John was 30 and a signalman for London & South Western Railway. The property had nine rooms.
The use by the Brentford Liberal & Radical Club continued until at least 1933.
The 1939 Register records Arthur David Bridges, born in 1924 so just 15 years old, at this address – he was a ’paker of cardboard’. The next person’s details are (as at 2018) redacted. The property was recorded between entries for 39 Walnut Tree Road, Dory’s stables on Kenley Road, Alma House and Kenley Road.
In the 1940 directory, no.334 was ’Brent House Club (affiliated to Working Men’s Club & Institute Union) (L. F. Pett sec.)’
Photos/Ephemera/MapsLinks are included below to some photos, ephemera or maps accessible on this site. There may be additional photos on the site-suggest you check the Properties-photos link (the navigation area to the left).
References such as ’1899 (X11)’ indicate the date of a photo (1899) and where it is published (X11). Details of ’X’ are available: see Mainly paper sources page; ’11’ refers to the page no, or photo no. in the publication.
319 early C20 S J Gomm (C53);Red Lion 1964 (Q62); new Red Lion 1965 (S24); view of area in 2006 (S23, S24)
Warning-download over 100k! 1894 Ordnance Survey Map annotated with house numbers 318-334
Roads OffEaling Road between numbers 318 & 319; known as Drum Lane in the 1841 to 1871 censuses, Ealing Road 1881 onwards. Presumably it was called ’Drum Lane’ after the Drum Inn on the eastern corner with the High Street.
Newens Yard between numbers 326 & 327 (Newens ran a bakery at no. 327 for over 70 years)
Eaton Place ran between numbers 334 & 335 and is recorded with this name in the 1881 census; a ’Moores Alley’was recorded here in a 1913 directory; in a directory dated 1928 Moore’s Alley is between numbers 336 & 337; in directories for 1933 and 1940 there is no reference to Moore’s Alley; the 1909/10 Valuation Records describe 1-10 Eaton Court, Moores Alley and 12 to 32 Eatons Buildings as unoccupied in 1909, all owned by Thomas Harrison and notes they ’are now demolished and the site is occupied by a foundry’.
Published 2006; last updated July 2018