Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Waggon and Horses, Kew Bridge, Brentford, 1972

Peter Young's photo was taken on 4th March 1972 outside the Waggon and Horses, Kew Bridge Road and shows the eel stall: signage reads
Bradley's
Wholesale Retail
Eel & Shellfish Merchant
... Feltham

Bradley's survives, still based at Feltham as at Feb 2016 but has to import all its eels - see note following. The Waggon and Horses also survives, having been rebuilt in the 1930s with fashionable mock beams. The original pub apparently dates back to at least the eighteenth century and was acquired by Fuller, Smith and Turner in 1882 (Brentford & Chiswick Pubs) pages 78, 79; they remained a Fuller's pub in 1972 . If you are interested in past landlords search the index of Beer Retailers and Licensed Victuallers for 'waggon': nine names recorded so far.

As to the eels, eaten jellied - these used to be from the Thames but there was a dramatic decline in numbers in recent years. However googling on 'Brentford eels' brought up details of eel passes that will allow them to head upstream in the Brentford area (and presumably people will not catch and eat them).

Full list of Peter's photos

Published February 2016