BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Reynard Mills Centenary Brochure, 1964Helen Thompson sent this brochure from 1964, it was published to commemorate Reynard Mills' centenary. The brochure has 1960s-style line drawings, a brief history of the business and details of the 1964 mattress range. The images that follow come from the brochure.
Helen adds: this was in the final effects of a cousin Alex Bartlett. Our grandfather was a mattress maker so perhaps it came from him originally. He was Edmund Bartlett, who died 10th April 1935,aged 75.
The brochure adds:
It continues to explain that on a visit to China he found that the feathers from the extensive duck industry were effectively waste, so he made arrangements to export them in bulk to England. His business started in Seymour Place. In 1892 he secured premises in Harrow Road, Paddington, then in 1900 feather mills were acquired in Woodstock Road, Shepherds Bush.
Initially the mattresses were simply stuffed with various materials: springs came later, initially external to the mattress, then within it.
The back cover of the brochure:
The aerial view is from the south looking north. Windmill Road cuts across the top right corner, with Darwin Road off to the right and the end of Whitestile Road is at the right margin. Reynard Mills occupied around five acres.
The building in the bottom right corner is St Faith's Church Hall.
The empty ground top left was a Territorial Army centre.
(Details from perusing OS 1:2500 map surveyed in 1959, published in 1961. The Reynard Mills site is marked 'Factory')
The site has a Peter Young photo of the Reynard Mills frontage from 1973: it looks to be the building at the right edge of the view, which has been touched up in the photo so that 'Charles Fox Ltd.' is clear.
NotesSome newspaper snippets:
West Middlesex Gazette 26 April 1930
Marylebone Mercury/span> 10 April 1943
The site must have been redeveloped at some point between 1973 and 1977 as there are newspaper articles from 1977-1998 that refer to Reynard Mills Trading Estate off Windmill Road.
Published June 2020