Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links

Site Technology

Home and Search

Not Brentford

South side of High Street, 1975

Stephen Reed sent over 20 photos from the mid 1970s during 2017. This one was taken in October 1975 from the corner of Market Place and looks across to the south side of High Street. At the far right is the end of County Parade and the building with the gable end and semi-circular parapet was Bradbury’s, the wholesale grocers, at no. 108/9 High Street until the 1960s.

A 1960s photo shows a similar view and includes a stylish trolleybus.

To the left are flowerbeds in the space created from pushing back the northern High Street frontage. Shops to the right include Strand Glass, Stone’s menswear and a travel agents at numbers 110, 111 and 112 High Street. Stone’s menswear was severely damaged in a gas explosion a couple of years after this photo was taken - read more details. For more about the history of properties in this area see the notes for numbers 98 to 114 High Street.

Dave Stoneleigh took some photos of New Brentford in 2008 and a couple show County Parade, see a full list.

Shops, south side of High Street

Published February 2018