Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

M4 Viaduct looking East, 1973

M4 viaduct looking EastPeter Young took this photo on May 2nd 1973, a view overlooking the M4 with Brentford Nylons HQ and in the distance the Beecham Building.

Peter took another photo on the same day which gives a closer view of the three tower blocks. In both photos more block fill the horizon - London.

The church or chapel, centre left - possibly Park Baptist Chapel?

The two-mile viaduct was constructed in 1964 to link the A4 (Great West Road) to the M4 and at the time was the longest viaduct in Europe. Brentford through time by Gillian Clegg includes a photo taken during construction and a similar view from around 2011.

For a wintry view of the construction of the M4 see Colin Carter's photo taken around 1964; this also shows the Beecham building with its Lucozade sign.

Full list of Peter's photos

Published March 2017