Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Marlborough House, The Butts, 1976/7

Colour photo showing cars parked in front of Georgian building

Quentin Pickard has provided two photos of Marlborough House, 24-26 The Butts. This was Brentford Cottage Hospital between 1892-1928.

"Brentford Hospital originated in Brentford Dispensary founded in 1818... In 1891 the dispensary committee leased Marlborough House in the Butts as a residence for nurses to care for the sick poor in their own homes and to provide accommodation for some patients. Brentford Cottage Hospital and Nurses Home opened in 1892. The committee was subsequently able to purchase Marlborough House." (AIM25 website at http://www.aim25.ac.uk)

Colour photo of Georgian building

See an early 1900s postcard showing the same building from a different angle.

A view taken in 1902 is included in 'Brentford and Chiswick As It Was' (C10) and 'Brentford Past' (Q90): the latter has a section about medical care in Brentford. 'Archive Photo Series' includes another early 1900s photo of the hospital (A65).

Published May 2010