Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Brentford Lock

Peter Young took this photo at Brentford Lock on 2nd May 1973, part of a collection of photos from 1973 and 1974 which show river traffic and people who worked on the waterways. If you are not familiar with the area the map below may help:
OS map, survey 1912, published 1915

The section above from the 1912 OS map, 25 inches to the mile, shows the area around the locks and the High Street, with its new tramway, to the south. The locks link the Thames to the Grand Junction Canal, the river Brent following a more winding route to the east; the parish boundary, marked by dots, runs along it. Brentford Lock could only provide access to the canal at high tide and this led to the construction of Thames Lock downstream, near the end of Dock Road, at some point before 1818. Returning to the map above, Brentford Bridge at the western end of the High Street is marked, also St Lawrence's Church and vicarage. Hopefully enough landmarks to work from.

The photo below looks northwards towards the locks, possibly taken from Brentford Bridge. The Toll House, built in 1911, is visible at the right end of the footbridge. There are plenty of distinctive shapes to help match photo and map.

Brentford Lock

The site has a postcard from the early 1900s taken from a similar vantage point and this has links to later views.

Full list of Peter's photos

Published April 2016