Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Joss Press, 246 High Street, 1974

Peter Young's photo was taken on the 2nd March, 1974 and shows the derelict Joss Press at 246 High Street, the last property of a terrace. New Spring Gardens was to the right looking at the photo. The terrace was demolished within a few years of the photo being taken. The green tiles may be a legacy of the property being a provision merchants and then a butchers during the first half of the 20th centry: more details of this property.

The 1939 Register provides details of the occupants at the outbreak of WW2 and thesite also has a slightly later photo taken from a different angle.

Peter adds 'in the 1950s, as a member of St Paul's church in Grove Park, we used to get the Joss Press to print flyers and so on for Garden Fetes'.

The photo shows new buildings to the right - the first is 'Brentford County Court'. This was built 1963 as a purpose built Court. It had previously operated in the Vestry Hall. The entrance is in this side road to reduce traffic congestion (Edith's Streets - includes a link).

Full list of Peter's photos

Joss Press

Published January 2016