Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Number 234a High Street (around 1976 or 1977)

Derelict site with former chapel

Quentin Pickard has provided this colour photo which shows the former Wesleyan Chapel at 234a High Street. When built this would have been obscured by the High Street properties and it was accessed by 'a passage' from the High Street running between numbers 234 and 235.

There is a similar view (black and white) taken in the late 1960s in 'Then and Now Brentford', Carolyn and Peter Hammond, and the accompanying text notes the chapel building was demolished in 1977. It seems the site was left empty for over ten years until International Stores supermarket and car park were constructed here, opening in 1983.

The tall block of flats behind the old chapel is the former police section house which opened in 1966 (S31).

The end wall of St Paul's House flats is visible next to St Paul's.

More about this area and its occupants.

Published March 2010