Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Postcard: View near the Three Pigeons

View

This view was taken from outside what used to be the Three Pigeons Hotel at no. 195 High Street and, judging by the cars, may date from the 1920s (please contact me if you can pinpoint the date more precisely).

The building with arched windows on the left was originally the Three Pigeons, which was 'practically burnt down to the ground in 1920 when it was used as shops and offices' (Q64). The 'TEAS' and other signs suggests it was no longer a hotel when this photo was taken. The 1920/1 trade directory does not refer to no. 195, but by 1928 four businesses were based here:

  • Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Ltd, H Neville Leighs supt
  • Miss E M How, confectioner
  • Middx Typewriter & Office Supplies Co
  • Lawton Cycle & Motor Co

After this building the entrance to the Market Place can be seen on the left.

On the right side the building closest to the cameraman was Griffiths, clothiers, at no. 125 & 126. Working back down the High Street, no. 124 was John Lawson & Co, tailors, no. 123 Charles Harding, confectioner.

See details of the properties on the left and on the right.

Thank you to the Tramway Museum Society, Crich, Matlock, Derbyshire for permission to include this image. Their web site has postcard and photo libraries which can be searched by a place name.