BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Postcard, approach to Half Acre Brentford, late 1950sHoward Webb sent this postcard image published by Francis Frith, he dates it to the late 1950s.
The first shop on the left, with cycles stacked outside, is G & N Wilsher's cycle, toy and fishing tackle shop at no. 211. A 1961 'phone directory shows them at this address with phone no. ISLewth 3836. They had moved a few doors west to 196 High Street by 1966. Next door was a women's wear shop, a sign for stockings is visible in the full size image. Then Mence Smith, a hardware shop (thanks to Sandra Graves for her help with the name). The shop with the ornate first floor bay window is at 216 High Street.
Further away the Beehive Hotel is visible on the corner of Half Acre.
On the right the Morris Minor is turning out of Catherine Wheel Yard (between numbers 97 and 98 High Street) and beyond is a concrete building, date not known (1940s?).
Patsy Langley adds 'The concrete building next to where the car is emerging from Catherine Wheel Road is/was Wilson & Kyle Engineers. The building is still there but unoccupied nowadays.' (January 2014)
Find out more about properties in this area.
Published January 2013; updated January 2014