Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

Red Lion, Brentford, 1907-1920?

Howard Webb has provided a scan of this photo, showing the Red Lion at 197 High Street. It is a Young and Co. card. He previously provided a postcard showing a very similar view, taken when the High Street was quieter.

The view is eastwards and the first building on the left with the two-tone brickwork, is on the eastern corner of the Market Place, a recent re-build. Other cards of the area show Boots the Chemist at this location - eg a 1913 card by W.H. Applebee.

The Red Lion sign shows the landlord 'R. Boxall': Richard Boxall was recorded in directories for 1911 and 1914, he was preceded by Thomas Sangster (1907) and followed by John Philpot (1920/21), suggesting a timeframe for the photo of 1907 - 1920.

Further along on the left, The Castle Hotel can be picked out from its 3 gable ends: 208 High Street.

The view on the right has numbers around 115/116 closest to the photographer, a sign for 'Lyons Tea' is just visible, this may be no. 118, Harry Andrews, ham and beef stores in 1911. A better view of these shops from around 1907.

Note the three small children captured for posterity in the foreground!

More about properties on the left, including the Red Lion.

Top

Published July 2012