Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

1907/12 postcard: Henry Edwin Gulliver's shop, 266 High Street

View of a tailor's shop 'GULLIVER' with the owner in the doorway

Howard Webb has provided a scan of his postcard, which he dates from 1907-12. The picture was by Richard Young of Teddington and was used by Henry Edwin Gulliver to advertise his business.

The card shows Henry Edwin Gulliver, 'practical tailor' standing in the doorway of 266 High Street Brentford. The window display comprises some bolts of fabric, including what appears to be a tartan, illuminated by a couple of lamps. The 'Practical Tailor Brentford' appears to have been added by hand to the photo.

Henry Edwin Gulliver was born in 1853, the son of Edward Gulliver, also a tailor. Edward Gulliver and his son can be found in the 1861 - 1881 censuses living in Bloomsbury.

Henry Edwin Gulliver married Rosina Ann Chilcott in the Strand Registration district in 1886 and by 1889 they had settled at 244 High Street, Old Brentford where their first daughter Ethel Rosina was born.

The 1901 census shows him still at no. 244, but by 1907 he had moved about 20 doors along to no. 266, where he is recorded in trade directories in 1907, 1911 and 1913. He is not noted in a 1914 directory: however there is a death of Henry E Gulliver, aged 59, registered in Brentford in 1913.

The daughter, Ethel Rosina Gulliver, married Arthur Bailey in Brentford Registration District in 1921.

See details of the properties including no. 266 or no. 244.