BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Not Brentford New
1907 (or earlier) postcard of New Brentford including the Red Lion
Wendy Tagg has provided a scan of her postcard, which is postmarked 1907. The tram indicates the photo is no earlier than around 1901.
Wendy has also provided the text on the back:
Wendy adds ": The Duke of Northumberland lived at Syon House and the Earl of Jersey lived at Osterley Park."
The Red Lion in New Brentford was at no. 197, on the north side of the High Street and on the corner of the Market Place. In 1911 and 1913 the landlord was Richard Boxall; the sign showns an earlier landlord, T Sangster. The 3-gabled building further along on the left is The Castle Hotel at no. 208.
NB there was also a Red Lion in Old Brentford, which was at no. 318 in C20.
On the right E Jones, butcher was at no. 114.
As to Nevill, the baker, a painting of their bread cart dating from around 1875 has signage showing they made Welsh digestive farmhouse bread. The original painting is at Gunnersbury Park Museum. Another Google search suggests H W Nevill was London's largest bakery.
Published November 2008; updated November 2016