Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

1945/6 photo by H. Felton: number 400

dilapidated house of two storeys with a less dilapidated building to the right

No. 400 was a butchers by 1861 and remained so until at least 1933. In 1933 the business was run by the Lockyer family, who were living at this address in 1890, possibly earlier. The building had a frontage of 16' and was over 30' deep. At the time of the 1909/10 Valuation there was a slaughterhouse to the rear.

By the time this photo was taken no. 400 was looking very dilapidated and was probably unoccupied. The area to the left of no. 400 was taken over in the 1920s by the Gas Light & Coke Co., whose truck is outside no. 400. At the time of the 1909/10 Valuation no. 400 was 'one of a terrace' and was 'old and requires repair'.

Reproduced by permission of English Heritage.NMR

More details of the properties in this area and their occupants

Published May 2008