Brentford High Street Project logo - lines represent the High Street and Rivers Brent and Thames

Home and Search
Site Guide
Brentford Basics
Privacy Policy
Contact Families
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Memories
Lists, Documents, News Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Photos
Maps
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Pubs Poem Seeking...
Mystery photos A-Z list History
Beach's Jam
Nowell Parr
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
Brentford Market
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers They Said
Books etc.
Web Links
Occupations

Next
Site Technology
Author

Home and Search

Not Brentford New

1945/6 photo by H. Felton: numbers 290 - 294

block of five 3 storey terrace properties

This substantial block of five properties lies to the east of Albany Place, which is visible to the left. In the 1909/10 Valuation these 'old' properties were owned by Arthur Killik of 13 Duke Street, London Bridge, presumably a descendant of 'Killick' who owned several of the properties 70 years previously when the tithe enumeration took place.

The properties all have a larger than average frontage recorded in the 1909/10 Valuation, ranging from 17' 2" to 18' 4" and values varied from 550 to 700.

From the left:no. 290 sports a Hovis sign and was a bakers since (at least) 1851. A 1940 directory records Edwin Simmons, baker, at this address. The 1909/10 Valuation mentions a stable for one horse and one van at the rear.

No. 291 was occupied by Borer, clothiers, from the 1870s; the name 'Borer & Sons' can just be made out on the photo.

No. 292 was a stationers, then newsagents, from the 1890s to 1940. The occupant in 1940 was Walter Weymouth.

No. 293 was a hairdressers, run by Horton (1913, 1928, 1933), then Edgar John Farrington (1940).

No. 294 was a drapers from the 1870s, run by Mrs M Wing in 1940.

Reproduced by permission of English Heritage.NMR

More details of the properties in this area and their occupants

Published October 2007