BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Brentford Families - E.C.Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd
Author - Pam Vernon-Roberts (nee Jones)Pam lives in Swansea and is the great granddaughter of Edward Charles Jones who founded E.C.Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd, tug and barge builders. She has compiled a history not just of the Jones family and the company but also of each boat produced by the company.
The extent of Pam's researchPam's notes on the family and company history are reproduced on this web site but are only a part of the extensive archive she has compiled: this contains many photos, extracts from newspapers and other contemporary sources. The A4 ringbinder Pam kindly sent me is packed with information about the family, the business and the boats and barges built by E.C.Jones.
To see the material in full, visit Chiswick Library at Duke's Avenue, Chiswick, London W4 2AB (Tel: 020 8994 1008, Contact: Mrs C. Taylor, Archivist). Pam has prepared a contents list to give you an idea of the additional information about E.C.Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd which is available at Chiswick.
Company history - a brief summary
The old Brentford family of Jones built boats from the early 1920's until 1977 when Edward Jones, grandson of the founder Edward Charles Jones, retired and sold his half of the company to E. G. Harris. Stanley Jones, a younger grandson, retired from the office in 1981 finishing the family connection with the company. The company continued building boats under the name of E. C. Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd. as part of the Harris Group until 1992 when the company went into receivership. More details of the Company History of E.C.Jones & Son (Brentford) Ltd. E.C.Jones built an innovative tug, the Bantam, which pushed rather than pulled barges.
Records of the Jones family from Watermen's HallMembers of the Jones family have been working on the River Thames probably since at least 1818 as Watermen and Lightermen. The records in Watermen’s Hall in London record when a “binding” (apprenticeship) period of several years started, who they were sponsored by, (usually a member of their family), and their binding date when they received their Freedom.
The records show the following:JOHN JONES
Born 5th November 1803 Baptised 25th November 1803 St. Saviours Church, Southwark, London
Binding Greenwich 15th January 1818 - 3rd March 1825
Sponsored by John Watkins.
He was the father of:
JOHN SAMUEL JONES
Born 2nd June 1832 Baptised 24th June 1832 Christchurch Church, Greenwich, London
Binding Greenwich 9th May 1850 - 9th July 1857
Sponsored by John Jones.
He was the father of:
EDWARD CHARLES JONES
Binding Greenwich 8th October 1889 - 13th October 1894
Sponsored by John Samuel Jones
See the copy of the certificate from Watermen’s Hall on this Binding and Freedom for Edward Charles Jones.
Pam has prepared detailed family histories of her great grandfather Edward Charles Jones, his only son Edward George Jones and three grandsons, Edward Charles George Jones, Robert William Jones & Stanley Alfred Jones, all of whom were involved in E.C. Jones (Brentford) Ltd.
Published October 2006