Home and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
Properties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
Old Brentford Tithe
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & More
Home and Search
Brentford Families - Maskell
My name is Alan Maskell and I live in Northampton and have done since 1974.
My Great Grandfather Benjamin Maskell lived in Back Lane Old Brentford at the time of the 1861 census. Unfortunately, I don't know which number. ( My Grandfather John Maskell was not born until 1862)
Benjamin was born in Caversham, Oxon in 1816. He married his wife Eliza Moore in Hounslow District on 2nd October 1843. Eliza was born in Brentford around 1823. Benjamin died on 29th June 1880 and his wife Eliza on 28th December 1879, both in Brentford.
Benjamin and Eliza had a large family ( eleven, possibly 12 children), but they apparently did not move to Back Lane until around 1855 and apparently stayed there at least until 1880. They had:
- Eliza Maskell,Christened 14th January 1844 Hounslow, married Francis Mowbray Speechley 20th May 1866 in Hammersmith Disrict. They had six children twixt 1867 and 1883 all in Shepherds Bush. Eliza's death details unknown.
- Mary Ann Maskell, Christened 18th January 1846 Hounslow, died 6th October 1847 Bedfont.
- Benjamin Maskell, Christened 23rd May 1847, Hatton, married Caroline Clifford in Brighton on 17th November 1873, believed died in Brighton in 1919 (Children unknown)
- Rebecca Maskell (may also have been known as Eliza ?) Christened 27th January 1850, Hatton, married George Miles Christmas Day 1871 in Brentford. They had three children twixt 1870 and 1874. Subsequently, following the death of her husband George on 25th March 1889, Rebecca married John Burrows on 22nd August 1892 in Acton Green, There were no known children from her second marriage. Rebecca (now Burrows) died on 23rd September 1935 in Isleworth.
- Sarah Maskell Christened 18th July 1852 Bedfont. Sarah gave birth to an illegitimate daughter Ann Sarah Maskell on 21st March 1872 in Brentford. Ann Sarah died on 18th September 1872 in Brentford. .Further details of mother Sarah unknown
- Daniel Maskell,Christened 26th November 1854 in Bedfont. He married Elixabeth Tizzard on Christmas Eve 1878 in Broadwindsor, Dorset and they had four children, all born in Brentford, twixt 1882 and 1891 (Arthur, Walter, Sydney and Edwin). Daniel died in 1922 and Elizabeth in 1940, both in Brentford
- Mary Ann Maskell, born 6th April 1857, Christened 15th November 1857 (both in Brentford). Died 8th September 1859 in Brentford
- Anne Maskell, Christened 13th November 1859, died 5th November 1863, both in Brentford
- Mary Ann Maskell, possibly born in Brentford in 1859 (birth doubtful)
- John Maskell (my Grandfather), Born 22nd May 1862 Brentford, Christened 24th August 1862. married Sarah Jane Puttick (known as Jane) on 3rd October 1886 in South Acton. They had eight children, twixt 1887 and 1903. all in Acton (including my father Edward James Maskell on 16th March 1903). John died 1st September 1940 in Willisden and Sarah Jane on 7th January 1932 in Acton
- Jane Ann Maskell born 19th January 1865 in Brentford. She married Robert William Crook on 16th July 1892 in Southwark. Nothing more is currently known about Jane.
- Frederick Maskell, born 13th August 1867. Christened 9th August 1868, Died 11th September 1968 - all in Brentford.
If any readers can add anything to the above or have any connections then I would be very pleased to hear from them - please get in touch, I will forward your email to Alan.
Page published February 2017