BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Brentford Councillors - William John Noy
IntroductionJanet McNamara has researched details of the men who served as Brentford Local Board Members and Councillors, see intro page for more details of early local government structure.
William John NoyMr Noy was a local councillor came top of the poll when he was elected to the Urban District Council in 1904. His name is on the Monument (1909), and he’s on the photograph of the 1909/10 Council and in the list of councillors in 1917.
He was a market gardener living at The Homestead, Clayponds Lane in the 1919 directory. The 1911 rate book shows him as the tenant.
He had been baptised at St George’s Church on July 12th 1863 with a note at the side of the registry entry looking as though the date of his birth had been January 21st 1861.
In the 1871 census he was 9 years old living in Back Lane with his father Isaac (27) who was a market gardener born in Suffolk, mother Janet (28) born in Brentford and one servant. William had been born in Brentford.
By 1881 they had moved to Clayponds Lane and William was a salesman. They again had a live in servant.
Isaac died on January 5th 1885. Janet was administrator of his affairs and his estate was valued at £897.3.1d.
The 1891 census shows her at the same address as the Head of the household with William as Market Gardener and 1 servant in the household.Top
The Ancestry website has notice of his Banns being read at St George’s Church with his marriage to Ada Alexandra Deane being celebrated at St Barnabas Church, Kensington on June 6th 1892. His employment was Market Gardener and his address was given as Clayponds Road, Old Brentford and Ada as Laura Place, Holland Park Road. Both fathers were deceased (Ada’s had been a sailor) and Janet Noy was one of the witnesses.
By 1901 William and Ada (35 born in Liverpool) had a son Isaac aged 8 and a daughter Hilary aged 5. Both the children had been born in Brentford. Their 23 year old servant domestic had been born in Folkstone.
A newspaper report of 1891 points out that Mr Noy had paid a half year’s rent for a covered wagon stand at the new Market before it had been opened.
The newspaper report of the 1904 election states that Mr Reeder and Mr Noy were standing for the Council on behalf of Brentford Ratepayers and Tradesmen’s Association and that Mr Reeder was expected to head the poll.
He is on the photograph of the opening of the Library in 1904 and is seated second from the right on the front row with a flower in his buttonhole. He’s also on the photograph of the 1909/10 Councillors, also sporting a flower, standing behind Mr Clements who was the Chairman that year.Top
The Ancestry website has a copy of a document dated July 16th 1912 making William John Noy a freeman of the City in the Company of Spectacle makers. I assume this is the same man.
The 1920/21 directory shows William and Isaac at The Homestead, Clayponds Lane but in 1924 only Isaac although the Kelly’s Directory for 1926 has William J still shown as a market gardener in Clayponds Lane, Pottery Road.
Ada died on December 13th 1928. Administration was to WJN. Her effects were £163.14s.
I can’t find a death for WJN in Brentford but 2 possibles are at Blything, Suffolk (his father had been from Suffolk) aged 70 (Blything 4a 1180) registered in December 1932 or in Penzance aged 82 in March 1944 (5c 283). [An accidental find, when looking for something else, was an obituary for William John Noy in the Marylebone Mercury, 01 April 1944. He is described as 'The Jovial Monk', his address 97 Windermere Road, Ealing and the article notes he died at Penzance, aged 82.]
There is a Noy Cottage in Ealing Road near the football ground.
Other materialJanet has also provided photos from the opening of the Library in 1904 and of the 1909/10 Councillors; also the 1912 freedom of London document. To be added as time permits.
Page published April 2012; updated September 2016