BasicsHome and Search
Photos of people
Name indexes incl WW1
Lists, Documents, News
PropertiesProperties: High Street
Properties: non-High Street
1909/10 Valuation Index
Can You Help?Seeking...
Roads OffA-Z list
Turner the Artist
Queen Victoria 1840
80 High Street
Clitherow of Boston House
Four Croxford Brothers
Sources & MoreThey Said
Home and Search
Brentford Councillors - William James Bolton
IntroductionJanet McNamara has researched details of the men who served as Brentford Local Board Members and Councillors, see intro page for more details of early local government structure.
William James Bolton (1871 - 1948)Mr Bolton stood for election to the Brentford District Council in March 1921.
He and Mr Moore declared to the local paper that they were out ‘to end waste and extravagance’ and considered ‘the dearth of houses to be truly deplorable’ and they appreciated the beneficial effect of the Allotments.
They were receiving special support from the Chamber of Commerce ‘with the general programme of which Mr Bolton states that he is in full and hearty accord’. At that time the Chamber was running a campaign against the purchase of Carville Hall Park to be used as a memorial park after the First World War.
He was proposed by William Griffith and seconded by John Dinnis, proposed by Rev WN Roche seconded by Walter Green, proposed by Walter W Walker seconded by Edwin J Clarke, proposed by William Buck seconded by JH Chapman, proposed by FF Poole seconded by James Foster, proposed by Richard Glayas seconded by Samuel Brookman.
His address was given as Hatton House, Hatton and he was a House Furnisher.
Nine men stood for 4 seats and Mr Bolton came 4th in the poll with 1022 votes.
Through 1921/22 Council meetings where there were votes on the purchase of Carville Hall Park (Mr Bolton was against) the vote was even and the proposal carried by 2 different the Chairman’s votes.
In 1923 he was one of 3 Councillors who represented Brentford at the Conference of Local Authorities.
His name is on the dedication stone at Boston Manor House when it was opened to the public by Lady Cooper in 1924.
He had been born in 1871 and in the 1871 census was 1month old living with his family at 7, Briar Cottages, Isleworth.
By 1881 the family were at 6, London Road, Isleworth.
By 1891 they had moved to next door to the White Horse Inn in the Market Place, Brentford (The Weir in 2012) and there were 2 more daughters aged 8 and 5.
In the 1901 census William James and his wife Sarah (35 born Brentford) were living at Hatton House, Cranford Lane, East Bedfont with their 6 year old children William and Doris who had also been born in Brentford.
William was still a Councillor in 1927 when Brentford combined with Chiswick to become the Brentford & Chiswick UDC and retired from the combined Council in 1930.
When he died on April 26th 1948 aged 77 he was living at 19, Leybourne Avenue, West Ealing and a report of his funeral in the Brentford & Chiswick Times on April 30th tells that he had been a President of the Chamber of Commerce and the Brentford Brotherhood. The funeral service had been at the Methodist Church in Windmill Road and the burial at Sutton Lane, Hounslow.
William James Bolton of 19, Leybourne Avenue, West Ealing, Mddx died 26th April 1948. Probate London 6 August to Sarah Ann Bolton widow. Effects £1,228.1.3d
Registered Ealing 5 a/c? 28 June quarter.
Might Bolton House in Albany Parade built in the 1950s be called after him?
Other materialJanet has also provided newspaper articles: his electoral address with A.E. Moore published 1921, and his death and funeral (April 1948). To be added as time permits.
Page published April 2013